The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

How can I say no to a customer PPAP request

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
ppap (production part approval process)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 26th June 2008, 08:12 PM
manojs1234

Total Posts: n/a
Please Help! How can I say no to a customer PPAP request

Hello, here is my situation. My customer is moving their facility from Texas to Ohio and they are asking me to submit a Level 2 PPAP as a part of their TS requirement. We ship our product to Texas and and they put it on a HVAC module which they ship to GM, Ford etc. We are also a TS company and my customer's request does not make any sense to me. For us the only change is ship the part to Ohio instead of Texas. I feel like they are making me to do the work. What do you guys think? How can I decline his request with out making him mad? I greatly appreciate any suggestions here..

Thanks

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 26th June 2008, 08:17 PM
Jen Kirley

Total Posts: 6,159
Re: How can I say no to a customer PPAP request

Does your shipping have any controls like refrigeration?
  Post Number #3  
Old 26th June 2008, 08:19 PM
Stijloor

Total Posts: 15,334

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by manojs1234 View Post

Hello, here is my situation. My customer is moving their facility from Texas to Ohio and they are asking me to submit a Level 2 PPAP as a part of their TS requirement. We ship our product to Texas and and they put it on a HVAC module which they ship to GM, Ford etc. We are also a TS company and my customer's request does not make any sense to me. For us the only change is ship the part to Ohio instead of Texas. I feel like they are making me to do the work. What do you guys think? How can I decline his request with out making him mad? I greatly appreciate any suggestions here..

Thanks
Explain to your customer why you think that this is an unreasonable request.
Also, ask them if they can refer to a requirement in the PPAP manual that possibly has triggered this request. Don't assume that because the customer requests this that it is correct. It's OK for you to push back, but don't approach the customer empty-handed.

Lastly, the PPAP manual states that questions should be directed to the Customer's PPAP approval authority.

Good luck.

Stijloor.
Thanks to Stijloor for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #4  
Old 26th June 2008, 08:22 PM
manojs1234

No. Our product is just a small fan unit which the customer attach to HVAC module
  Post Number #5  
Old 26th June 2008, 10:18 PM
qualitytrec

Total Posts: 414

How long has it been since your last PPAP submission? When I was in the automotive arena I was required by my customer to submit PPAP yearly. If you have a similar requirement from your customer it might be better and easier if the PPAP was not recent to just bite the bullet. If it was recent I would ask if it could be a level one PPAP though level two should not be too difficult either. What is your normal PPAP submission level? Mine was level 3 annually after initial submission.

Mark
Thanks to qualitytrec for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #6  
Old 26th June 2008, 10:36 PM
manojs1234

Mark, We don't have to submit yearly PPAPs. But if I remember correctly, its atleast 2 years since we submitted our last PPAP. Normally we submit Level 3 PPAPs. As you suggested it will be a good idea to go ahead and ask for a Level 1. My problem with Level 2 is the dimensionals and capability study. Our metrology department is all backed up and I I am not convinced that a 100% dimensional and capability study is required to validate a change in manufacturing location by our customer.
  Post Number #7  
Old 26th June 2008, 11:37 PM
qualitytrec

Total Posts: 414

A level two is samples and limited supporting data. Is the customer requiring full dimensionals and capability? That sounds more like level 3. I would guess that you collect data of some sort when you run normally. If so would that data be enough for the customer?

Mark
  Post Number #8  
Old 27th June 2008, 06:27 AM
Jim Wynne

Total Posts: 14,228

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by manojs1234 View Post

Mark, We don't have to submit yearly PPAPs. But if I remember correctly, its atleast 2 years since we submitted our last PPAP. Normally we submit Level 3 PPAPs. As you suggested it will be a good idea to go ahead and ask for a Level 1. My problem with Level 2 is the dimensionals and capability study. Our metrology department is all backed up and I I am not convinced that a 100% dimensional and capability study is required to validate a change in manufacturing location by our customer.
The submission level controls only what's submitted, not what you have to do. Even if it's a level 1 PPAP, you still have to do all of the elements and retain the documentation.
Thank You to Jim Wynne for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >