The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

New AS9101 - The Coordination Draft. Not the Official Release - IAQG9101 standard - Page 6

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
iaqg (international aerospace quality group), as9101 - aerospace qms audit requirements

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #41  
Old 27th November 2009, 12:43 PM
Marc

Total Posts: 26,666
Re: New AS9101-The Coordination Draft. Not the Official Release

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Sidney Vianna View Post

The goal is for auditors to delve into the actual organization's processes, not a checklist.
Why can an auditor not "delve into the actual organization's processes" by using a check list as a starting point? That's what I always did.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #42  
Old 27th November 2009, 12:51 PM
Sidney Vianna

Total Posts: 9,319

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Marc View Post

Why can an auditor not "delve into the actual organization's processes" by using a check list as a starting point? That's what I always did.
Marc, to use a checklist as a starting point is no problem whatsoever. However, many auditors misperceive and misunderstand the purpose of a checklist. Instead of focusing on the processes at hand, many auditors believe their task is to complete the damned checklist. So, the checklist becomes the audit.

Checklists, as tools, can always play an useful part in an audit. But it should never be the purpose of an audit to fill out a checklist.

In the Aviation, Space & Defense sector, it was recognized several years ago that the 9101, 9111 and 9121 (elemental-approach) checklists represent a hindrance to auditors attempting to perform process based audits.

Last edited by Sidney Vianna; 27th November 2009 at 03:20 PM.
  Post Number #43  
Old 27th November 2009, 01:11 PM
Marc

Total Posts: 26,666

I guess that's why the "anti-check list" movement never turned me on. I would start with a check list and by the time I was done I knew their processes, how they interact, and in depth.

For example, if a check list says something like: "Verify Document Control System and that it satisfies the requirements of the standard." From that point it was "Show me your procedure", I'd read through it and then start asking for records (as appropriate) and then to the floor (or where ever) to vertify the end points.

I always used a check list to ensure I touched on every requirement, but that involved getting 'down and dirty' in the "Show me this..." and "Show me that...", "How is this communicated?", etc., etc.

I don't remember ever coming out of a company without knowing their systems, how they interacted, having seen that there was ample evidence that systems were being followed, appropriate records were being kept, etc.

I will say I have been in a lot of companies that were registered to a standard such as ISO 9001 where I found *Major* nonconformances (often several). I attribute that to auditor incompetence, and I hope it's getting 'better' because a lot of it was going on when I was an active auditor/implementor/consultant.
  Post Number #44  
Old 14th December 2009, 06:32 AM
Phiobi

Total Posts: 225
Re: New AS9101-The Coordination Draft. Not the Official Release - IAQG9101 standard

I have been going through some of the things in the most recent version of AS9101 rev D draft I could find and they differ from the recent course I attended.

On the course they showed me a draft of 9101 rev D that instead of EAR used PEAR - Process Effectiveness Assessment Record.

I am trying to get a little bit ahead of the game ready for release in Jan 10 but I don't want to go through a draft if there is a newer draft...

Getting to my point.... has anybody got the most recent draft (making reference to PEAR's)?
  Post Number #45  
Old 14th December 2009, 11:07 AM
Sidney Vianna

Re: New AS9101-The Coordination Draft. Not the Official Release - IAQG9101 standard

I do. The Appendix C, PEAR form is attached.
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before opening, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: pdf as9101d_pd_111909[1].pdf (22.8 KB, 333 views)
Thank You to Sidney Vianna for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #46  
Old 14th December 2009, 11:14 AM
Phiobi

Thanks for that.

Any idea why I can find the old draft document but not the latest draft? Not just here but ANYWHERE lol

Has a date in January been confirmed yet? Need to get a copy as soon as it comes out! i plan to perform ALL 2010 audits to rev D ready for my certification to AS9100 rev C in October 10
  Post Number #47  
Old 14th December 2009, 11:27 AM
Sidney Vianna

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Phiobi View Post

i plan to perform ALL 2010 audits to rev D ready for my certification to AS9100 rev C in October 10
9101 is not meant for internal audits; the document was developed with CB audits in mind.

9100C stipulates pretty much the same level of internal audit requirements as ISO 9001. So, from a AS9100C certification standpoint, you are not required to follow 9101. Certainly many of the requirements in 9101D could be used to guide internal audit teams as well, but be careful not to overkill it.
Thanks to Sidney Vianna for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #48  
Old 14th December 2009, 11:29 AM
Phiobi

Good point, not planning to go OTT but I do want to use the same format forms, PEAR and stipulate my guys use process mapping!
Thanks to Phiobi for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >