AS9100D excluding Design and Development - Small Job Shop
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

AS9100D excluding Design and Development - Small Job Shop - Page 2

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
as9100 revision d (2016), design and development, exclusions of clauses in a standard, job shop, small companies (small businesses)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #9  
Old 29th August 2017, 04:20 PM
MichelleQA

Total Posts: 9
Re: AS9100D excluding Design and Development - Small Job Shop

Thank you for all the information. I submitted an appeal to the auditor and received this response:
"We have recently reviewed these requirements at a RMC meeting, auditor work shop and it is now of the opinion that this requirement would only apply when product design is being accomplished. Based on this direction I have modified the NC to address on post delivery support."

Thank you all for the very quick replies and information. It was very helpful and valuable when crafting my response to the NC.

Thanks to MichelleQA for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #10  
Old 29th August 2017, 11:04 PM
Big Jim

Total Posts: 2,902

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by MichelleQA View Post

Thank you for all the information. I submitted an appeal to the auditor and received this response:
"We have recently reviewed these requirements at a RMC meeting, auditor work shop and it is now of the opinion that this requirement would only apply when product design is being accomplished. Based on this direction I have modified the NC to address on post delivery support."

Thank you all for the very quick replies and information. It was very helpful and valuable when crafting my response to the NC.

Thanks for the feedback. There are many here that encourage pushing back when an auditor overextends. What you accomplished with your push back helps many.
Thanks to Big Jim for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #11  
Old 30th August 2017, 05:56 AM
dsanabria

Total Posts: 1,338

Quote:

Have you excluded (not applicable) post delivery support - except for non conforming product?

you should and make a statement (base on the last sentence of post delivery support - which is the only one you can not exclude) that all NCR will be dealt per 10.2.
  Post Number #12  
Old 30th August 2017, 12:45 PM
MichelleQA

Total Posts: 9
Question Re: AS9100D excluding Design and Development - Small Job Shop

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by dsanabria View Post

Have you excluded (not applicable) post delivery support - except for non conforming product?

you should and make a statement (base on the last sentence of post delivery support - which is the only one you can not exclude) that all NCR will be dealt per 10.2.
Do you have a sample statement, we currently have a statement that reads: 8.5.5 Post Delivery Support: Non- Applicable: Company does not provide any type of servicing or post delivery support. Company guarantees the customer shall receive product that meets all the requirements of their order. Company provides no warranty, training, maintenance, etc for any products or services provided, this is outside of the scope of a build to print shop.

I was going to amend to state 8.5.5 a-i are non applicable.
  Post Number #13  
Old 30th August 2017, 01:31 PM
Sidney Vianna

Total Posts: 9,308

Quote:

This has also been discussed here, and, according to the IAQG interpretation clarification, nobody can claim the whole of 8.5.5 as non-applicable.

Check their interpretation in the IAQG 9100:2016 Clarifications Document
Quote:
Product that is found to be nonconforming after delivery to the customer require actions to be taken, including investigation and reporting; therefore 8.5.5 is applicable. The organization may utilize the Control of Nonconformity Outputs process and Corrective Action process as the method for implementing this requirement; however Clause 8.5.5 would not be excluded in itís entirety.
Thanks to Sidney Vianna for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #14  
Old 30th August 2017, 05:08 PM
dsanabria

Total Posts: 1,338

Quote:

Do you have a sample statement, we currently have a statement that reads: 8.5.5 Post Delivery Support: Non- Applicable: Company does not provide any type of servicing or post delivery support. Company guarantees the customer shall receive product that meets all the requirements of their order. Company provides no warranty, training, maintenance, etc for any products or services provided, this is outside of the scope of a build to print shop.

Yes - correct according to IAQG you can claim a-I as no applicable but you can not claim the last statement on NCR.

So what you need to do is link 10.2 to that statement and then you can also link 8.7
  Post Number #15  
Old 2nd October 2017, 04:09 PM
kbbquality

Total Posts: 2

What's the true intent of Design and Development of products and Services Clause 8.3?
Two years ago, I had an auditor state that its applicable to only non-build to print manufacturing / engineering process.

Last year, different auditor stated that it was still applicable to only non-build to print manufacturing / engineering processes.
But they also allowed all tooling / jigs and holding fixtures developed by us to assist in the build to print / contractual items.
This is tooling we developed in house to aid in the production of product deliverable to the customer. Non of the tooling we developed was to be delivered to the customer. Nor was it owned or bought by the customer.

So what's the true intent of AS9100 Rev D, Section 8.3?
  Post Number #16  
Old 2nd October 2017, 04:48 PM
howste

Total Posts: 5,061

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by kbbquality View Post

What's the true intent of Design and Development of products and Services Clause 8.3?
Two years ago, I had an auditor state that its applicable to only non-build to print manufacturing / engineering process.

Last year, different auditor stated that it was still applicable to only non-build to print manufacturing / engineering processes.
But they also allowed all tooling / jigs and holding fixtures developed by us to assist in the build to print / contractual items.
This is tooling we developed in house to aid in the production of product deliverable to the customer. Non of the tooling we developed was to be delivered to the customer. Nor was it owned or bought by the customer.

So what's the true intent of AS9100 Rev D, Section 8.3?
Let's see what it says in 8.3:
Quote:
8.3 Design and Development of Products and Services
It looks like the intent is design of products and services, not tooling and manufacturing processes.

If you really wanted to claim applicability you could probably point to clause 7.3.3 where it says "The organization shall define the data required to allow the product to be identified, manufactured, inspected, used and maintained; including for example... process, manufacturing and assembly data needed to ensure conformity of the product." Also there's the note in 8.3.5 Design and Development Outputs, which states "NOTE: Data can include: ...process, manufacturing, assembly, handling, packaging, and preservation data needed to provide and maintain a conforming product or service..." I generally look at those as byproducts of the product design process. In a build-to-print company, these would be developed per clause 8.1 as we discussed above.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >