The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Can an AS9100 auditor issue an NCR a month after the audit?
Please read this thread...
Software update
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
as9100 revision d (2016), audit nonconformances and findings

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 4th December 2017, 12:32 PM
dsanabria

Total Posts: 1,358
Question Can an AS9100 auditor issue an NCR a month after the audit?

Hi;

Had an auditor that finished an AS9100 D audit a month ago....

We just received a notification that he was issuing another NCR - one in which we (Registrar, auditor and consultant) agree that it was OK - not an issue.

The NCR is on having 8.5.5 Post Delivery as an exclusion not applicable in the Quality Manual.

We do not - we do make statements in the actual section of the QM - 8.5.5 of items that are not applicable to us as a company.

I though that AS9101 gave instructions:

4.2.2.7 Conducting the Closing Meeting

The requirements of ISO/IEC 17021-1 clause 9.4.7 and 9104/1 clause 8.5 apply.

In addition, at the closing meeting, the audit team leader shall, at a minimum, provide the organization with any applicable
NCRs (see Form 4) and PEARs (see Form 3) associated with those NCRs.

So how should I answer this!

or do I have the right to complain to AIQG / ANAB about the auditor / registrar...

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 4th December 2017, 01:09 PM
Sidney Vianna

Total Posts: 9,260
Re: Can an AS9100 auditor issue an NCR a month after the audit?

The IAQG has made clear, via the clarifications document, that AS9100 8.5.5 can not be excluded in it's totality and we have discussed this a couple of times, here at The Cove. Has that clarification been communicated to all the CB's and their respective auditors? Apparently not.

So, I am sure that, during a technical review of the audit report and the identification of the "excluded sections" which must be identified in OASIS, a technical reviewer noted the problem and instructed the auditor accordingly to issue a NC.

Any lead auditor worth their salt know that NC's should not be issued outside of an audit event. Sure, you can complain, and using common sense and the escalation process, you should start with the CB first. But, keep in mind, that, very likely, the CB was the one that mandated the auditor to issue the untimely NC.
Thank You to Sidney Vianna for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #3  
Old 4th December 2017, 01:36 PM
dsanabria

Total Posts: 1,358

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Sidney Vianna View Post

The IAQG has made clear, via the clarifications document, that AS9100 8.5.5 can not be excluded in it's totality and we have discussed this a couple of times, here at The Cove. Has that clarification been communicated to all the CB's and their respective auditors? Apparently not.

So, I am sure that, during a technical review of the audit report and the identification of the "excluded sections" which must be identified in OASIS, a technical reviewer noted the problem and instructed the auditor accordingly to issue a NC.

Any lead auditor worth their salt know that NC's should not be issued outside of an audit event. Sure, you can complain, and using common sense and the escalation process, you should start with the CB first. But, keep in mind, that, very likely, the CB was the one that mandated the auditor to issue the untimely NC.
Agree... yes, we did clarified that to the auditor and share the AIQG clarification statements on the AIQG website. Showed him that we are not taking an entire exclusion on the scope (does not show up) and clarified that if any exclusion is taken for any of the singular letter - it will be clarified on clause 8.5.5 - not part of the scope.

I gave instructions that the NCR will be challenged and that part of the answer is to review previous approval by the registrar NXA.
  Post Number #4  
Old 4th December 2017, 06:29 PM
Mjtaur

Total Posts: 21

Ah, I think I see what happened. You made the section non-applicable in the Scope, but specified in section 8.5.5? That might be his/her reasoning. Almost like your CB looked at the Scope, you made it non-applicable, so therefore it no longer exists, which is your CB's argument. I see the point, but you clearly address it later in your QM. Yea, I think bogus write up.

Maybe just change what you have in 8.5.5 and put that verbiage in your Scope?
  Post Number #5  
Old 6th December 2017, 07:15 PM
Big Jim

Total Posts: 2,906

Sidney nailed it when he suggested that it didn't pass the technical review and the auditor was ordered to write up the nonconformance after the fact.

I have seen this happen.

My understanding is that the auditor is obligated to present the nonconformances he has identified at the closing meeting. Even this isn't always followed though, and closing meeting comments usually include that the auditor is recommending registration / continued registration, but the final decision is made by the executive committee after they review the auditors report.

Auditors may be required to write a nonconformance when they improperly called it an observation (referred to as soft grading) or anything else found that needed correcting during the technical review.

Auditors that have problems with accurate audits don't tend to stick around very long.
Thank You to Big Jim for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #6  
Old 12th December 2017, 02:16 PM
Kronos147

Total Posts: 302

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by dsanabria View Post

So how should I answer this!
RC - minor disconnect was overlooked by the internal audit after transition due to assessors focus on new requirements rather than typos.

Correction - more assessor training on process audits

Correct the issue, move forward.
Thanks to Kronos147 for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #7  
Old 15th December 2017, 09:24 AM
Mjtaur

Total Posts: 21

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Kronos147 View Post

RC - minor disconnect was overlooked by the internal audit after transition due to assessors focus on new requirements rather than typos.

Correction - more assessor training on process audits

Correct the issue, move forward.
I agree, your last statement is spot on.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >