AS9100D Clause Brain Fade - Tool was past due for Calibration
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
as9100 revision d (2016), audit nonconformances and findings, calibration (general topics), calibration past due date measurement equipment and gages

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 7th December 2017, 02:44 PM
jwdjmd

Total Posts: 11
Please Help! AS9100D Clause Brain Fade - Tool was past due for Calibration

During an internal audit (AS9100D), I came across a tool that had a calibration sticker on it indicating that the tool was past due for calibration. I want to write up the department for using this tool but I am at a loss to which clause to write it under.
What clause would cover the fact that operators didn't check the calibration status of the tool before they used it? 7.1.5.2??

I am having a brain fade...

Last edited by jwdjmd; 7th December 2017 at 02:45 PM. Reason: misspelling

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 7th December 2017, 02:51 PM
Sidney Vianna

Total Posts: 9,274
re: AS9100D Clause Brain Fade - Tool was past due for Calibration

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by jwdjmd View Post

I want to write up the department for using this tool but I am at a loss to which clause to write it under.
There is no requirement that you have to reference the paragraph of the AS9100 standard in the statement of nonconformity. But, if you want to, what kind of tool is it? a production tool? If so, 8.5.1.1 is an applicable section.

But, if the tool is an inspection tool, 7.1.5.2 would be the appropriate section of AS9100D.
Thanks to Sidney Vianna for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #3  
Old 7th December 2017, 03:11 PM
jwdjmd

Total Posts: 11

It is a radiometer "puck" used in the set up of one of our expose tools. It is calibrated.

There is nothing in the operation's work instruction stating that the operator has to verify the calibration status of the "puck" so that's why I want to write it up against the standard. The sticker is in a prominent place and is very hard to miss. The thing that gets me is that the puck is used daily and it's been past due for calibration for quite awhile and no one stopped to let the engineer know it was past due.

Last edited by jwdjmd; 7th December 2017 at 03:35 PM.
  Post Number #4  
Old 7th December 2017, 03:30 PM
Mike S.

Total Posts: 2,229

Looks like you have a few different problems to deal with, but have a look at 8.6 and 9.1.1.
  Post Number #5  
Old 7th December 2017, 06:23 PM
Michael_M

Total Posts: 552
Re: AS9100D Clause Brain Fade - Tool was past due for Calibration

Based on the limited information, I would probably (and have) written this up under 7.1.5.2 Measurement Traceability. I had found this same thing in a previous audit and since my department is responsible for calibration, this made me sad.
Thanks to Michael_M for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #6  
Old 8th December 2017, 08:39 AM
Mike S.

Total Posts: 2,229

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Michael_M View Post

Based on the limited information, I would probably (and have) written this up under 7.1.5.2 Measurement Traceability. I had found this same thing in a previous audit and since my department is responsible for calibration, this made me sad.
Yep, this is good stuff.

If I was involved in this I would address it as I do many issues where there is a root cause and in addition one or more contributing causes to a problem.
  Post Number #7  
Old 8th December 2017, 09:52 AM
AndyN

Total Posts: 8,873
Let Me Help You Re: AS9100D Clause Brain Fade - Tool was past due for Calibration

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by jwdjmd View Post

During an internal audit (AS9100D), I came across a tool that had a calibration sticker on it indicating that the tool was past due for calibration. I want to write up the department for using this tool but I am at a loss to which clause to write it under.
What clause would cover the fact that operators didn't check the calibration status of the tool before they used it? 7.1.5.2??

I am having a brain fade...
While this is a laudable thing to identify, as an auditor it's not as helpful as it really should be. One item out of how many gauges? Another thing to discover is what the effect of not being recalled is on the specification of the gauge. For example, I recently audited some torque wrenches which had been calibrated each year for 6 years. The records show that the things don't vary by 0.1%. So, being 5 years late for calibration wouldn't matter!

Auditors can continue to simply write a compliance oriented report or, better still, discover what is effective... This helps drive management support for audit findings instead of "so what?" apathy...
Thank You to AndyN for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #8  
Old 8th December 2017, 11:22 AM
Golfman25

Total Posts: 1,373

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by AndyN View Post

While this is a laudable thing to identify, as an auditor it's not as helpful as it really should be. One item out of how many gauges? Another thing to discover is what the effect of not being recalled is on the specification of the gauge. For example, I recently audited some torque wrenches which had been calibrated each year for 6 years. The records show that the things don't vary by 0.1%. So, being 5 years late for calibration wouldn't matter!

Auditors can continue to simply write a compliance oriented report or, better still, discover what is effective... This helps drive management support for audit findings instead of "so what?" apathy...
Words to live by. Thanks.
Thanks to Golfman25 for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >