The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
AS9100/AS1180-1 - Handling of Equipment and Calibration Records
Please read this thread...
Software update
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
as9100 - aerospace quality management systems, calibration (general topics), calibration data

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 5th January 2018, 09:34 PM
QAREP1157

Total Posts: 2
Question AS9100/AS1180-1 - Handling of Equipment and Calibration Records

I'm cleaning up, organizing, and correcting issues with our current Calibration Records. Can we delete records that have no further application, or is there a Spec that states we need to keep the record for whatever reason or time? Example: Thread Plug Gage's that have been assigned a QC Number but no longer exist. Templates that have been assigned a QC Number but have now been scrapped, destroyed, thrown away. Tools that have been assigned a QC Number but are no longer a part of the company.

Also, can we assign those old QC Record Numbers, now no longer used, to new tools or gauges and still be in compliance with AS9100?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 6th January 2018, 12:46 AM
myusoffice

Total Posts: 17
Re: AS9100/AS1180-1 - Handling of Equipment and Calibration Records

Hi,

Please consult your SOP for record retention and disposition process. Normally, some industries like medical device manufacturing companies keep their records for 10 to 15 years depending on their SOP. Good Luck!!

Regards
Ziaur
  Post Number #3  
Old 6th January 2018, 03:13 AM
Marc

Total Posts: 26,591

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by myusoffice View Post

Please consult your SOP
I think the question is are there record retention times specified in any standards or regulations. Granted the company's SOP should be based upon the requirements of any applicable standards, customer requirements and other aspects.

I'm not current in aerospace requirements so I can't help with this one.
  Post Number #4  
Old 6th January 2018, 01:01 PM
myusoffice

Total Posts: 17

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the clarification.

As per AS9100, section 4.2.4 (Control of Records),

Quote:
"The organization shall establish a documented procedure to define the controls needed for the identification, storage,
protection, retrieval, retention and disposition of records."
In my limited experience, i have never seen any QMS standard dictating timeline of record retention & disposition. Now I could be wrong as I did not read all the standard exist on earth. Most standards always fall back to the business/establishment to define the timeline in their SOP.

Hope this help.

Regards
Ziaur
  Post Number #5  
Old 6th January 2018, 01:44 PM
dsanabria

Total Posts: 1,358

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by QAREP1157 View Post

I'm cleaning up, organizing, and correcting issues with our current Calibration Records. Can we delete records that have no further application, or is there a Spec that states we need to keep the record for whatever reason or time? Example: Thread Plug Gage's that have been assigned a QC Number but no longer exist. Templates that have been assigned a QC Number but have now been scrapped, destroyed, thrown away. Tools that have been assigned a QC Number but are no longer a part of the company.

Also, can we assign those old QC Record Numbers, now no longer used, to new tools or gauges and still be in compliance with AS9100?

Thank you.
Step one - if the customer does not require you to retain records then dispose of it per your procedures.

Step two - if the gages are no longer in use - and the customer does not require you to retain records.

Step 3 - clarify in your procedure what to do when a gega becomes obsolete, damage or missing...

Hope this helps
  Post Number #6  
Old 6th January 2018, 03:07 PM
Marc

Total Posts: 26,591

I saw this one here: Aerospace Record Retention Requirements

I was thinking there were regulatory requirements for some aerospace records such as maintenance records: Record Retention Periods

And this old one from 2010: Trade Intelligence,Gain valuable business insights from our searchable database of thousands of articles and reports.

Just making sure we're covering all the bases. http://proceedings.ndia.org/3AF6/Bri...esentation.pdf

and

DIN EN 9130 : Aerospace series - Quality systems - Record retention - DIN EN 9130 Aerospace series - Quality systems - Record retention
  Post Number #7  
Old 6th January 2018, 04:06 PM
bhmdave

Total Posts: 10

I would not reassign old numbers to new equipment, why open the opportunity for confusion.
  Post Number #8  
Old 9th January 2018, 09:27 PM
QAREP1157

Total Posts: 2

Thank you all, for your help. I have researched this issue well before posting. I appreciate your responses. The new information has given me more to go on, but leads me to the same conclusion.

Record Retention as defined by AS9100 as I see it, is for traceable records only. Components, parts, Customer Trade Services, Trade Intelligence, retrieval of type and design, supplier and process services accreditation.

In all my research so far, indicate that records of calibration are only necessary for current tools and gauges. There is no indication so far to show a necessity for records of tools or gauges no longer in use. There is no way to determine which tool/gauge was used to measure any one or lot/batch of parts.

Although some customers do require (on inspections, FAI etc.) an indication of the type of tool or gauge used to measure a part. No requirement or specification asks that the tool/gauge used must be identified on the inspection record by a serial number. So there would be no traceable record, recent or otherwise to reference in an audit.

If anyone finds information that shows my deduction to be in error, please show me where I can find the information.

Thank you, again.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >