The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Does a "Significant Change" apply to Class II Medical Devices?
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
amendment, class ii medical device, health canada, manufacturing site, medical device standards and regulations, significant change (of a device or product), sterility and sterilization techniques, medical devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 15th February 2012, 05:19 PM
canreg

Total Posts: 5
Question Does a "Significant Change" apply to Class II Medical Devices?

We are a distributor of a medical device company in the UK who has a registered Health Canada Class II device. The company will shortly be changing their sub-contract mnf. to their own mnf. plant. As a result of the manufacturing location change, they will also change the sterilization method for this device. Change in manufacturing process does not change the device specifications.

As per the Medical Device Regulations, I understand that a Licence Amendment would result if:

a) in the case of a Class III or IV medical device, a significant change; (b) a change that would affect the class of the device; (c) a change in the name of the manufacturer; (d) a change in the name of the device; (e) a change in the identifier of the device and (f) a change in the medical conditions, purposes or uses

Since change in manufacturing facility & sterilization process is considered a “Significant Change” for only Class III & IV devices, does it apply for Class II devices? If so, the Amendment form for Class II does not indicate change in manufacturing facility & sterilization process as potential reason to apply for the amendment.

I'd really appreciate if someone could let me know whether the changes would require us to submit an amendment for the Class II device.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 15th February 2012, 06:09 PM
Marcelo Antunes

Total Posts: 3,231
Re: Does a "Significant Change" apply to Class II devices?

Ins't this a "(c) a change in the name of the manufacturer;"?
Thanks to Marcelo Antunes for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #3  
Old 15th February 2012, 06:10 PM
Marcelo Antunes

Total Posts: 3,231

Also, you quality management system certificate won't be valid anymore, right?
Thanks to Marcelo Antunes for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #4  
Old 17th February 2012, 09:31 AM
quest

Total Posts: 50
Re: Does a "Significant Change" apply to Class II Medical Devices?

I have the same question regarding Class II devices and am hoping someone can provide guidance as to what can be licenced via a fax back form and what requires a device license amendment form.
The changes that require an amendment are stated in the CMDR but they don't seem to completely agree with what is stated on the Fax-Back form, particularly the statement "..please confirm that the proposed change does not alter the original range of sizes licensed..." and ..."etc". I can forsee a change that does alter the original range of sizes BUT does not change the manf name, device name, indications, or device idntifier (it adds, not changes). So, in this case, is a fax-back appropriate or an amendment? Also what is meant by etc.
Any guidance would be appreciated.
  Post Number #5  
Old 23rd February 2012, 11:43 AM
RA Guy

Total Posts: 67

quest, I am not sure I understand your exact question.

Are you aware of the multiple types of fax back forms on the HC website?

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/md-im...nomhom-eng.php

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/md-im...nomfab-eng.php

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/md-im...nomimp-eng.php

and the types of non-fax back amendment forms?

I would be happy to respond further if you could clarify exactly what you are attempting to do.

Cheers,
RA Guy

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/md-im...m_cla2-eng.php

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/md-im...e_priv-eng.php
  Post Number #6  
Old 23rd February 2012, 12:50 PM
DannyK

Total Posts: 678

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by canreg View Post

We are a distributor of a medical device company in the UK who has a registered Health Canada Class II device. The company will shortly be changing their sub-contract mnf. to their own mnf. plant. As a result of the manufacturing location change, they will also change the sterilization method for this device. Change in manufacturing process does not change the device specifications.

As per the Medical Device Regulations, I understand that a Licence Amendment would result if:

a) in the case of a Class III or IV medical device, a significant change; (b) a change that would affect the class of the device; (c) a change in the name of the manufacturer; (d) a change in the name of the device; (e) a change in the identifier of the device and (f) a change in the medical conditions, purposes or uses

Since change in manufacturing facility & sterilization process is considered a “Significant Change” for only Class III & IV devices, does it apply for Class II devices? If so, the Amendment form for Class II does not indicate change in manufacturing facility & sterilization process as potential reason to apply for the amendment.

I'd really appreciate if someone could let me know whether the changes would require us to submit an amendment for the Class II device.
Please refer to Health Canada Guidance document "Guidance for the Interpretation of Significant Change of a Medical Device." I would call up Health Canada to find out what needs to be done. A client of mine changed their supplier for the class II medical and had to complete a form for supplier change.
Thanks to DannyK for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #7  
Old 27th February 2012, 11:46 AM
quest

Total Posts: 50

Thank you for your responses.
I am aware of the multiple fax-back forms as well as the multiple amendment forms.

I guess the exact question is..

If I want to add to a current license, a Class II device that is identical in every way EXCEPT for size (needle that is 1 inch longer than the length range currently licensed) what form is recommended?
  Post Number #8  
Old 27th February 2012, 12:35 PM
canreg

Total Posts: 5

Thank you for your responses. The manufacturer's name/address on the HC Licence will not change so it could not be c). since the change is only in the sub-contractor's manufacturing location to their own. I believe if it is neither of the above, then the change needs to be documented in the manufacturer's quality management system.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >