The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Ppk vs Cpk - A Good, clear explanation and How Mini-Tab Handles Certain Statistics - Page 9

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
cpm, minitab (statistical analysis software), cpk (related to process capability), ppk (related to process performance)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #65  
Old 3rd December 2008, 06:25 PM
Miner

Total Posts: 4,372
Re: Ppk vs Cpk - A Good, clear explanation and How Mini-Tab Handles Certain Statistic

A PPAP is normally provided for new or changed product.

If the product is new, you only have short term data available, so can only provide Cpk results.

If the product is changed, you should have long term data available for the unchanged characteristics, but may only have short term data available for changed characteristics. Unchanged characteristics would have Ppk available and changed characteristics would only have Cpk available.

Last edited by Miner; 3rd December 2008 at 06:54 PM.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #66  
Old 3rd December 2008, 06:51 PM
Bev D

Total Posts: 3,631
Re: Ppk vs Cpk - A Good, clear explanation and How Mini-Tab Handles Certain Statistic

OK I'm making a classic mistake and trying to remember the requirement. but I'll proceed anyway.

I think the requirement is that when you dont' have long term process data (multiple subgroups) the requirement is to calculate the 'short term' capability by using data from only one setup or raw material batch and calculating the standard deviation for that single large subgroup. So the standard deviation is Stotal instead of Swithin . Stotal is the calculation for Ppk and Swithin is the calculation for Cpk. So in this case, you are using the Ppk formula to calculate the short term (Cpk) value! Of course if you have multiple setups, raw material lots and different operators then you can use the Cpk formula to calculate the short term capability.

Still don't remember the 1.67 requirement tho. For some reason I'm thinking they are two separate issues...it woudl be helpful if someone could quote chapter and verse from the manual!

I also seem to remember that both issues have been discussed in this forum before in some detail, but my memory of the automotive world was erased long ago!
  Post Number #67  
Old 20th June 2009, 09:52 PM
rengaraj

Total Posts: n/a

Nice

By

RENGARAJ..M

Post Number #68  
Old 23rd February 2010, 01:39 AM
reciprocal

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by AJLenarz View Post

I agree by reading the above posts that there appears to be some level of confusion. However, the definition I have provided comes straight from the beautiful blue books we have all grown to love, the QS manuals. In my opinion, there is very little “wiggle room” on its interpretation.

Section I.2.2.9.2 of the PPAP Third Edition clears up this whole Cpk – Ppk thing.

thanks for your comment.your 67 words helped me out with the confusion.
and ,totally agree with you about " there appears to be some level of confusion. "

Post Number #69  
Old 18th July 2012, 03:32 PM
mclayton

Don said: "Going back to basic stats for a moment, the calculation for standard deviation has either one of two possibilities in the denominator: n-1 or n. In school, when you knew the data for the population, you used n. When you did not know the data for the population, you used n-1. The two different types of standard deviation were designated by either sigma (population) or a lower case s (sample). Thus, just using simple logic, you would assume that Cpk is calculated for the population.

I asked the question here once what the AIAG used (I stay as far away from their stuff as I can. Gives me headaches), as the symbol in their method of calculating Ppk and the answer was the lower case s. Thus, it would seem to indicate that Ppk is the process capability for a sample and Cpk is the process capability for the population."

I agree AIAG gives me a headache. But worse are the many consultants and bloggers that are still arguing about WHICH is the LONG TERM CAPABILITY vs the SHORT TERM. Those that use X-bar-R charting for SPC, with suspicious subgroups, are trapped into using within-subgroup sigma in their capability studies....and average that over 100 or more subgroups even though the major source of variation is group to group, not within group! Can you explain how the true variance components impact short vs long term capability metrics?
  Post Number #70  
Old 18th July 2012, 03:47 PM
Bev D

Total Posts: 3,631

well the hacks, bloggers, shamans and AIAG drive me crazy too. The definitions are very well documented and really pretty simple, but everyone has to add their own creative 'twist'. I don't know why. (and whether or not you use the n or n-1 adjustment isn't part of the definition by the way; most people casually use the greek symbol for the sample standard deviation - and it's always a sample standard deviation when calculating either Cpk or Ppk regardless of how those indices are defined -simply because using s is less cool or less confusing as it's universally recognized as meaning some kind of standard deviation).
  Post Number #71  
Old 8th January 2014, 07:29 AM
kumaresanr

can you give the some examples how to calculate standard deviation for both ppk as well as cpk

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >