The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
A 'New' Aspect of the Cove - A Definitions and Acronyms page?
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

A 'New' Aspect of the Cove - A Definitions and Acronyms page? - Page 2

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

View Poll Results: Add a Definitions and Acronymns page?
Yes! 63 82.89%
No - redundant 13 17.11%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this Poll because you are not Logged In.

Some Related Topic Tags
acronyms, definitions, elsmar improvements (general)
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #9  
Old 2nd March 2005, 12:55 PM
Scott Catron

Total Posts: 674
I Say...

I think it would be a good addition. Sure, there's other places on the web, but enter ISO into http://www.acronymfinder.com/ and you get 40 answers (is it Industry Standards Organization (IEEE-ISTO)?), CAPA gets you 19 (Computer Aided Problem Analysis, Computer Assisted Personalized Approach or Corrective Action/Preventative Action?) SPC nets 82 (is it Software Process Control or Statistical Process Control?).

Folks with some prior knowlege can pick out what it probably is, but students or new quality people could get lost.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #10  
Old 2nd March 2005, 01:25 PM
Wes Bucey

Total Posts: 11,156
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Kevin H

I've got to agree with Al and Wes that it's redundant - a google search easily turns up a couple of sites that can be used to determine the meaning of acronyms, and most of them include quality related acronyms.
Actually, I think posters ought to give a referent the first time they use an acronym in a thread (not every time within the thread, just the first time) in the form:
  • Failure Mode & Effects Analysis (FMEA) or
  • Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
to help us understand the poster didn't have a dyslexic moment to type one acronym when he meant the other.

Similarly, we Demingites can be real horse's patooties when it comes to throwing around referents like
"Red Beads"
"Funnel Experiment"
without further explanation.

Same goes with other arcane jargon that may not be on everyone else's favorite list:
  • Taguchi
  • fishbone
  • turtle
  • full factorial
  • pareto
  • Ishikawa
  • poka yoke
  • simulcrum
I wonder how many times I've seen a post I couldn't figure out simply because the jargon just wasn't decipherable. I used to write in response to querying posts (thread starters) that used such jargon:
"What do YOU mean by [arcane jargon]?
Now, I just ignore the post, unless it is in the Forum I moderate.
  Post Number #11  
Old 2nd March 2005, 01:35 PM
Marc

Total Posts: 26,501
As you have all probably noticed, I change a lot of thread titles and I do try to put in both the words and the acronym when there is room to do so.

I'll let this thread stay for a few days to gather some more of your thoughts, but I will probably do something like this. I've been getting a lot of requests over the last couple of months and I get a few e-mails every week asking what some acronym stands for in context of our discussions here.

As to the server space issue and bandwidth, I've bought way, way more than we can use up unless we start to see 500 or more people in the forums concurrently all day long. Which I would love to see, but I don't envision happening.
  Post Number #12  
Old 2nd March 2005, 01:36 PM
Ken K

Total Posts: 410
Although it might be redundant, how many folks wish to jump all over the net trying to figure out what someone is talking about? Not many I think.

Obviously, Marc thought there was a need so I vote to bring it on home If they come...keep them here.
  Post Number #13  
Old 2nd March 2005, 02:09 PM
bgwiehle

Total Posts: 154
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Ken K

Although it might be redundant, how many folks wish to jump all over the net trying to figure out what someone is talking about? Not many I think.

Obviously, Marc thought there was a need so I vote to bring it on home If they come...keep them here.
I also liked the idea of being able to link to a definition within the COVE (even if I have to enter it myself). That way the post itself would not need the extra verbiage (unless the term is really obscure). A link could be added after the original post by editing, if necessary, and links could be kept current!
  Post Number #14  
Old 2nd March 2005, 02:13 PM
Jim Howe

Total Posts: 412
considering my constant struggle to understand some of the terms used by covers I say, Yes, please! and thank you!
  Post Number #15  
Old 2nd March 2005, 02:38 PM
Al Rosen

Total Posts: 3,646
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by bgwiehle

I also liked the idea of being able to link to a definition within the COVE (even if I have to enter it myself). That way the post itself would not need the extra verbiage (unless the term is really obscure). A link could be added after the original post by editing, if necessary, and links could be kept current!
Would you like to volunteer to edit and keep the links current?
  Post Number #16  
Old 2nd March 2005, 02:40 PM
Marc

Total Posts: 26,501
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Ken K

Obviously, Marc thought there was a need...
The problem is I'm not always right... Which is why I asked you folks to validate or invalidate my perception. I don't mind answering the e-mails and PMs. On the other hand there have been a lot of requests for something like this the most recent one being last night - So it has been on my mind.

I sorta think like Wes and a few others - There's a big web out there and a lot of ways to search it. But I come back to the aspect of people who are looking for answers 'in context' of what is here and people who are new to most of what is 'old hat' to many of us 'old fogies'. And - I've been on the internet for a long time so I'm not very intimidated by it. A lot of folks out there aren't as comfortable with it as I am. Searching is an art in some ways.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >