The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

A 'New' Aspect of the Cove - A Definitions and Acronyms page? - Page 3

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

View Poll Results: Add a Definitions and Acronymns page?
Yes! 63 82.89%
No - redundant 13 17.11%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this Poll because you are not Logged In.

Some Related Topic Tags
acronyms, definitions, elsmar improvements (general)
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #17  
Old 2nd March 2005, 02:55 PM
Marc

Total Posts: 26,666
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Wes Bucey

Actually, I think posters ought to give a referent the first time they use an acronym in a thread (not every time within the thread, just the first time) in the form:
  • Failure Mode & Effects Analysis (FMEA) or
  • Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
to help us understand the poster didn't have a dyslexic moment to type one acronym when he meant the other.
I'd be a real happy camper myself if folks would do this.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #18  
Old 2nd March 2005, 03:09 PM
Claes Gefvenberg

Total Posts: 4,952
Thumbs up

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by JRKH

On the other hand adding an acronym page might draw more users to the site.
Sounds like a pretty major undertaking though.
My thoughts exactly....

/Claes
  Post Number #19  
Old 2nd March 2005, 04:43 PM
Robyn

Total Posts: n/a
Woud it be that major if everyone pitched in? I have a little cheat sheet of acronyms that I refer to every time I thumb through our procedure books, and I would assume that lots of folks have the same kind of thing floating around their hard drives.

Rather than trying to create a definitive list, could we not just have something casually drawn together using input from Covers? I would bet that after a period of time with additions from such a variety of people the list would naturally become full and complete. If there were one thread dedicated to submissions to the list and the lead post were editable, could the list itself not be contained in the lead post and just updated from additions to the thread itself? It could take minimal space and tacked to the top of a thread somewhere with a sticky. (Does that make sense? I admit I'm sort of thinking with my fingers.)

I'm not so desperate for that kind of information now, but a few months ago it would have been a fantastic introduction to quality terms and been a great resource while I was trying to grasp so much information all at once. I can't help thinking that I'm surely not the only person who finds themself faced with the daunting project of learning "all about quality" with no background and little guidance, and nearly everything I know right now came from this very website and all of you folks. (Y'all, I really appreciate that, too!)
  Post Number #20  
Old 2nd March 2005, 06:33 PM
Al Rosen

Total Posts: 3,692
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Robyn

Woud it be that major if everyone pitched in? I have a little cheat sheet of acronyms that I refer to every time I thumb through our procedure books, and I would assume that lots of folks have the same kind of thing floating around their hard drives.

Rather than trying to create a definitive list, could we not just have something casually drawn together using input from Covers? I would bet that after a period of time with additions from such a variety of people the list would naturally become full and complete. If there were one thread dedicated to submissions to the list and the lead post were editable, could the list itself not be contained in the lead post and just updated from additions to the thread itself? It could take minimal space and tacked to the top of a thread somewhere with a sticky. (Does that make sense? I admit I'm sort of thinking with my fingers.)

I'm not so desperate for that kind of information now, but a few months ago it would have been a fantastic introduction to quality terms and been a great resource while I was trying to grasp so much information all at once. I can't help thinking that I'm surely not the only person who finds themself faced with the daunting project of learning "all about quality" with no background and little guidance, and nearly everything I know right now came from this very website and all of you folks. (Y'all, I really appreciate that, too!)
You will have to refer to a sticky note in another forum. The sticky note will have to be searched. it's probably easier to go to www.acronymfinder.com. You can even add a button to your toolbar. If the Acronym is not found you can submit it to the site. Why re-invent the wheel? Especially when the existing wheel is better, since someone else provides a means for adding entries to the database and maintains it.
  Post Number #21  
Old 3rd March 2005, 01:19 AM
Atul Khandekar

Total Posts: 1,455
I like the idea, but it is a daunting task. We can of course ask our members to contribute to the definitions knowledge base. Take a look at:
*** DEAD LINKS REMOVED ***
IMO, both these are limited in their scope. I'd also like to see more detailed definitions with some explaination if possible.
  Post Number #22  
Old 3rd March 2005, 09:36 AM
Robyn

Total Posts: n/a
Atul, thank you for those links! Good resource!
  Post Number #23  
Old 3rd March 2005, 10:56 AM
Jim Wynne

Total Posts: 14,228
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Robyn

Atul, thank you for those links! Good resource!
I disagree--it's a terrible resource, and a good example of why constructing a glossary--please don't call it an "acronyms" list--is fraught with danger. Here's an example from one of the links, a definition of "capability":

"Capability analysis is a graphical or statistical tool that visually or mathematically compares actual process performance to the performance standards established by the customer.
To analyze (plot or calculate) capability you need the mean and standard deviation associated with the required attribute in a sample of product (usually n=30), and customer requirements associated with that product."

Note the glaring absence of the need to verify process stability, which probably isn't even possible when n=30. "Graphical or statistical"??? The writer also causes unnecessary confusion by saying "attribute" instead of "feature" or "characteristic."

In just cursory glance at some of the other definitions I found similar weaknesses. I'm not saying that a Cove glossary is a bad idea; I'm just saying that there is a fairly daunting responsibility for accuracy that goes with it, and that responsibility should not be taken lightly. Definitions (which are akin to specifications) form the basis of our work and must be treated with due respect.
  Post Number #24  
Old 3rd March 2005, 01:11 PM
Wes Bucey

Total Posts: 11,169
Yes! The use of "attribute" invalidates the entire definition. Worse - because it represents an "authority," some newbie might pick up the wrongful jargon and talk about "attributes" when he means "characteristic" - worlds apart in meaning in most manufacturing mileus.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >