The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

A 'New' Aspect of the Cove - A Definitions and Acronyms page? - Page 5

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

View Poll Results: Add a Definitions and Acronymns page?
Yes! 63 82.89%
No - redundant 13 17.11%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this Poll because you are not Logged In.

Some Related Topic Tags
acronyms, definitions, elsmar improvements (general)
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #33  
Old 4th March 2005, 03:54 PM
Al Rosen

Total Posts: 3,692
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Jim Howe

Me too! But I don't always remember to do it! To me this would be more preferable then the forum. So now i will ask the stupid question what does "BTW" stand for? Iknow, i know, but it took me a year to remember what "TTYL" was for.
* BTW *

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #34  
Old 4th March 2005, 05:23 PM
Wes Bucey

Total Posts: 11,169
<FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Quote: (Originally Posted by Jim Howe) </LEGEND>Me too! But I don't always remember to do it! To me this would be more preferable then the forum. So now i will ask the stupid question what does "BTW" stand for? Iknow, i know, but it took me a year to remember what "TTYL" was for. </FIELDSET><!-- / sig -->
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Al Rosen

* BTW *
Al
A mind is a terrible thing to lose!
See!?!? Here I thought BTW meant Beware the Wife! Just shows to go you.
TTYL = Tempting Tidbit You'll Like?

I guess everything has to be in context to completely befuddle the situation.
  Post Number #35  
Old 4th March 2005, 08:36 PM
Marc

Total Posts: 26,672
I Say...

As I pointed out above, I believe acronyms, like other aspects of communication (especially via text), have to be taken in context. That has caused many problems in these forums since around 1999 to 2000 when the 'type' of people who visited started shifting. For those who may wonder what I'm talking about, visit the original 'forums'. Things were pretty focused and there was a closer mindset and understanding level.

I haven't heard Beware the Wife before for BTW, but I laughed so hard the Coke spurted out my nose! And that hasn't happened in a long time...

Anyway, back to the topic....
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Atul Khandekar

I like the idea, but it is a daunting task. We can of course ask our members to contribute to the definitions knowledge base.

I'd also like to see more detailed definitions with some explaination if possible.
We could prod folks to not only contribute definitions, but also links to applicable, informative sites like many of the links in this thread. I think the combination would be very valuable. As the person who 'looses' by adding links to external sites (with respect to people clicking advertisements, when they leave this site they may not come back - Long story, but the 'Webmeister's Guide" says that's a No-No), I would like it - And from the poll I'm sure I'm going to do it.

Now - I ask you which do you think would be preferable:

1. Wiki style - Anyone can edit
2. A specific, focused forum within the current forums

I haven't put the wiki software on my testbed server yet, but plan to this weekend to check it out. In the meantime, what do you think?

Wes - We need a picture of you (put in your picture as your 'avatar' {and don't forget your "profile" picture} so we know you're a real person)...

And Mike S - Reveal yourself!!!!
  Post Number #36  
Old 4th March 2005, 09:11 PM
Marc

Unhappy

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Wes Bucey

Now, I just ignore the post, unless it is in the Forum I moderate.
Shame on you...
  Post Number #37  
Old 4th March 2005, 11:09 PM
lvivas

Total Posts: n/a
Voted Yes

I am very new to this site. I came across this site while researching "quality" management. I am an Education Manager responsible for designing, implementing, and monitoring systems in order to ensure all regulations/mandates are met and quality services are provided to families and children. I have found some very helpful information on this site, (ex. Discovering Change power point) and I like reading through the different forums. I voted yes because for me, looking for ideas, not necessarily an expert, some of the terms are like reading a foreign language.

A beginner's page with basic definitions would be really helpful.

Lori
  Post Number #38  
Old 5th March 2005, 04:08 AM
Wes Bucey

Total Posts: 11,169
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Marc

I haven't heard Beware the Wife before for BTW, but I laughed so hard the Coke spurted out my nose! And that hasn't happened in a long time...

Wes - We need a picture of you (put in your picture as your 'avatar' {and don't forget your "profile" picture} so we know you're a real person)...

And Mike S - Reveal yourself!!!!
I'm real enough. "Need" is an awfully strong word.
  • "Need oxygen" - yes.
  • "Need food" - yes.
  • "Need shelter" - maybe.
  • "Need a picture" - only hitmen and lonely hearts columns need pictures.
I haven't seen anyone snort a drink through his nose since second grade. Was that you, Marc?

"Beware The Wife" reminds me of a three-times divorced acquaintance: He says next time he thinks about getting married, he's going to find a woman he hates and buy her a house to save attorney fees.

Some folks NEED anonymity - hence screen names and initials. Wallace can attest to this. Reread our thread on ethics and whistleblowers. Only those who are relatively immune to backlash dare post a photo of self versus a stock photo of an actor.
  Post Number #39  
Old 6th March 2005, 02:07 PM
Claes Gefvenberg

Total Posts: 4,952
Thumbs up

Wes: Nice mug shot.

Lori: Welcome to the Cove

/Claes
  Post Number #40  
Old 7th March 2005, 02:48 AM
Marc

Wes is real!?! And here all this time I thought...
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >