Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Achievable vs. Realistic - Differences and Definitions

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
realistic goal, definitions, achievable goals

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 15th December 2009, 11:20 AM
Wow bigat

Total Posts: 4
Question Achievable vs. Realistic - Differences and Definitions

Hi All,

I’m new here and this is my first post. I have learned that when we set an objective it should be SMART to be effective. But I am a bit confused about the difference between “achievable” and “realistic”. It sounds the same.

Please enlighten me.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 15th December 2009, 11:38 AM
Jim Wynne

Total Posts: 14,197
Re: What is the difference between achievable and realistic?

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Wow bigat View Post

Hi All,

I’m new here and this is my first post. I have learned that when we set an objective it should be SMART to be effective. But I am a bit confused about the difference between “achievable” and “realistic”. It sounds the same.

Please enlighten me.

Thank you
Welcome to the Cove.
Something could be achievable but not realistic; just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should.
  Post Number #3  
Old 15th December 2009, 11:56 AM
Wow bigat

Total Posts: 4

Thank you, Jim. This is the way I understand your explanation: Given that objective is achievable i still have to find out if i have the factors something like skills, commitment, time to accomplish the objective to make it realistic.
  Post Number #4  
Old 15th December 2009, 12:07 PM
Jim Wynne

Quote:

Thank you, Jim. This is the way I understand your explanation: Given that objective is achievable i still have to find out if i have the factors something like skills, commitment, time to accomplish the objective to make it realistic.
Well, that's one way to look at it. SMART is just a clever mnemonic device, not a set of specific requirements. These days (especially in places where Six Sigma is being done) there are a lot of things being measured that don't need to be measured, or can't be measured accurately. The "realistic" part of SMART means that whatever the objective is, it should be something that (a) needs to be measured and (b) will result in something being improved.
Thank You to Jim Wynne for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #5  
Old 15th December 2009, 12:56 PM
DrM2u

Total Posts: 777

Quote:

Hi All,

Please enlighten me.

Thank you
I like to look at the two this way: 'what could be done' and 'what can be done'. For example, it is achievable for each one of us to become a super-star in one field or another but realistically only a few of us want/pursue/are given the opportunity to do it. It terms of goals and objectives, 100% on-time delivery is achievable but realistically 99.5% is a very good performance also (depending on what area we are talking about).
Thanks to DrM2u for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #6  
Old 15th December 2009, 01:00 PM
Jim Wynne

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by DrM2u View Post

I like to look at the two this way: 'what could be done' and 'what can be done'. For example, it is achievable for each one of us to become a super-star in one field or another but realistically only a few of us want/pursue/are given the opportunity to do it. It terms of goals and objectives, 100% on-time delivery is achievable but realistically 99.5% is a very good performance also (depending on what area we are talking about).
Without understanding (and being able to control) the variation that contributes to 100% on-time delivery, we can't say that it's achievable or realistic.
  Post Number #7  
Old 15th December 2009, 03:50 PM
DrM2u

Total Posts: 777

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Jim Wynne View Post

Without understanding (and being able to control) the variation that contributes to 100% on-time delivery, we can't say that it's achievable or realistic.
Exactly my point ... everyhting is 'achievable' if we understand and control all the variables and variation involved. The 'realistic' is based on what we realy understand and can control. Think about the presidential election process in the US; how much does the average person understand and control for their favorite candidate to be a winner or a weener?

Last edited by DrM2u; 16th December 2009 at 10:01 AM.
  Post Number #8  
Old 20th December 2009, 08:01 AM
bpugazhendhi

Total Posts: 23
Re: What is the difference between Achievable and Realistic?

All the above discussions in one way or other suggest that 'realistic' and 'achievable' are two different qualities and that many a times they cannot coexist. In that case how one can ensure that one's objectives or goals are both realistic and achievable at the same time? Does that mean that one should choose only such objectives or goals that are both realistic and achievable? Ofcourse such a course sounds logical and practical!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >