Alien English - Interpreting abbreviations and Acronyms
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Alien English - Interpreting abbreviations and Acronyms - Page 2

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #9  
Old 18th June 2003, 05:13 PM
Claes Gefvenberg

Total Posts: 4,952
Quid Pro Quo I second the motion from the gentleman from the East Coast.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike S.
---X---One thing I did learn is to avoid the lutefisk. Yecch!
And you learned that right quick, I guess? Well done. That's one dish I stay away from too... Yuck! :-x

But I think I may have derailed this topic... Any more abbreviations for Trolles list? Btw (oh, there I go again), I was rather expecting a question about one of the abbreviations I used in my previous post...

/Claes

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #10  
Old 18th June 2003, 05:49 PM
ISO Cheesy

Total Posts: 40
(Taking cover FWIW)

/Claes [/B][/QUOTE]

?? hua ??.... Please explain FUSP (For Us Slow People)

This use to be a PIA for me Öwhenever I start with a new company takes a good 3 months to learn the new terms and acronyms. Now the first thing I do when I go to a new company is make a list of TAís (terms and acronyms) and include this list as a handout whenever I do my new hire orientation so others donít have to go through what I did. I also incorporated a paragraph in the procedure template for this reason. I hate it when I see a procedure that has acronyms throughout and no definitions for them.

Here are a few of my QMS related ones:

DCR = Document Change Request
ICAR = Internal Corrective Action
BOM = Build of Material
TCS = Total Customer Satisfaction
RCCA = Root Cause / Corrective Action

The list can go on foreverÖit just depends on what company your working for at the time. As far as the Internet ones?... Just now learning from this forum.
  Post Number #11  
Old 18th June 2003, 05:53 PM
howste

Total Posts: 5,052
Re: I second the motion from the gentleman from the East Coast.

Quote:
Originally posted by Claes Gefvenberg
I was rather expecting a question about one of the abbreviations I used in my previous post...
Are you talking about PIA? I assumed it was a pain in the

Last edited by howste; 18th June 2003 at 05:56 PM.
  Post Number #12  
Old 19th June 2003, 02:40 AM
Claes Gefvenberg

Thumbs up Re: Re: I second the motion from the gentleman from the East Coast.

Quote:
Originally posted by howste
Are you talking about PIA? I assumed it was a pain in something...
Bingo!

/Claes
  Post Number #13  
Old 19th June 2003, 03:02 AM
Geoff Cotton

Total Posts: 224
Claes,

Quote:
I guess we'll have to stick to the Queens English. Oooops. I mean American English (whatever that is)
American English, is that reinvented English with bits of words missing? What happened to the u in colour anyway?

Queenís English thatís another reinvention, itís nothing like English. Itís simply English spoken by southerners with a plum stuck up their a$$e. To hear true English you have to go north of the Watford Gap.

Watford Gap --- a mythical line somewhat similar to the Great Wall of China but a bit more subtle and on a less grand scale, drawn across the map of England by the Romans in the hope it would keep the southerners out, to some extent it still works today as southerners seem to believe there are dragons and warring Vikings north of the line. (Sorry Claes, Norse of the line.)

Post Number #14  
Old 19th June 2003, 04:13 AM
Claes Gefvenberg

Yep... and as a matter of fact quite a few scottish words and expressions can be traced to the scandinavian languages. We'll have to blame the vikings for that. (You may have guessed by now that languages is one of my greatest interests in life )

/Claes
  Post Number #15  
Old 19th June 2003, 08:09 AM
Trolle

Total Posts: 39
Many thanks to you all for your help!

And Sue, your website links are sure to be very handy,

Claes, please note that in those gloomy days when UK business was down due to, to many Roman fat cats. They had to call in consultants from all over Scandinavia to get things in order. These consultants came up with many novel ideas; most important must have been the very concept of Anglaland (England i.e.). Even in them good old days consultants already knew that there where always more money to get while fixing what they didnít do right the first time around. As far as I know, ever since them Vikings launched this bis version, English has been a smashing worldwide success.

Cheers
  Post Number #16  
Old 19th June 2003, 09:40 AM
Claes Gefvenberg

Quote:
Originally posted by Trolle
---X---Even in them good old days consultants already knew that there where always more money to get while fixing what they didnít do right the first time around. As far as I know, ever since them Vikings launched this bis version, English has been a smashing worldwide success.

Cheers
My word, you're right... I do wonder what their consulting fees were in those days..?

/Claes

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >