The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Design Record Changes and PPAP Re-submission?
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 4th February 2002, 10:08 AM
Stuart Andrews

Total Posts: 44
Question Design Record Changes and PPAP Re-submission?

Referencing Table I.3.2 of the PPAP manual 3rd Ed. Requirement 4.

We submitted a PPAP to our customer at drawing revision A, and had it duly signed off.

During the 12 months before re-submission we change a word on the Design Record because of a typing error. The typing error in no way affected the fit, form or function (FFOF) of the part. However, the drawing revision moved to revision B.

When a colleague of mine saw the Revision had changed they said the customer should have been notified of the change so they could decide if the fit, form or function had been affected.

I'm of the opinion that we as the educated supplier would know if the changes would affect FFOF and therefore don't have to tell our customer about every single typing error that results in a change revision to a design record! Or do we?

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 4th February 2002, 10:20 AM
Marc

Total Posts: 26,502
Yin Yang

I guess it depends upon the spelling error. If it was insignificant I wouldn't have 'reved' the drawing.

Since you did rev the drawing... To keep consistent with your custmer records I would notify them.
  Post Number #3  
Old 4th February 2002, 10:28 AM
Stuart Andrews

Thanks Marc.

I would agree that just from a consistency point of view it would make sense to inform them.

However, would you say the interpretation of the "Engineering change to design records..." doesn't include a typing error that doesn't affect FFOF because it's not an "Engineering" change, only an "Administration" change.

I'm in a nit picking mood because we'd made a decision not to inform them and I just want to ensure I was justified in my decision (based on interpretation).

What's your thought? Am I "bound" to telling the customer, if I change a typing error on a design record?

Last edited by Stuart Andrews; 4th February 2002 at 10:40 AM.
  Post Number #4  
Old 4th February 2002, 10:45 AM
JRKH

Total Posts: 972
UMHO, If the drawing revision level is changed, for any reason, the customer would need to be notified.
I can think of a number of scenerios where this could come back to bite you.
For instance:
Customer has approved Rev A. Later they send you some changes to be made. You make the changes and send them Rev C for approval. They look at their records and say Where is rev B. Now you have to try to justify to them why you did not inform them of the rev change. (....yes I understand it was a typo change, but we still need to sign off on it...)

Better to just get the Rev issue out of the way up front.

James
  Post Number #5  
Old 4th February 2002, 10:50 AM
Stuart Andrews

Thanks JRKH!

I think in the future we will inform them

BUT

the over-riding issue here is..... am I obliged to do it?
  Post Number #6  
Old 4th February 2002, 10:51 AM
Marc

Yin Yang

My 'Rule of Thumb' has been where a minor spelling error is corrected a revision is not necessary as long as it does not change the document / drawing. But - let's say the 'minor' change was to change an inch to a mm (just as an example) you're talking a significant change. If you're talking grammar or the spelling of a word (e.g.: from teh to the) which is essentially inconsequential - no big deal.

But - that's my rule - each company has different policies. I would do the 'administrative' correction and the next time a major change is made that spelling change will be included.

The bottom line is, however, if you officially rev the drawing a level for whatever reason I would inform the customer. They're not going to do anything but change their records so they coincide with yours.
  Post Number #7  
Old 4th February 2002, 11:00 AM
Stuart Andrews

How would I do that Marc?

Would I just send them a letter and a copy of the drawing or would it need to be as a new PPAP, indicating the drawing revision in all the PPAP documents that I've submitted.

Which is wht I ask the question about obligation to notify.

More questions than answers?
  Post Number #8  
Old 4th February 2002, 11:12 AM
Marc

I can't say because I don't know your communication lines with your customer, but typically an e-mail and call to the SQA will resolve what to do. Personally I would call the customer SQA and inform them of the change and ask what they want you to do. I would get in writing (or make precise notes - time, day, date, who, etc.) what they want you to do. I would send them whatever they specifically request. Since you reved the print I expect they would want a copy of the drawing and of the ECN (engineering change notice) or whatever your system uses to propagate a print change.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >