Sorting Instruction Template wanted
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Sorting Instruction Template wanted

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
sorting out nonconforming material or goods, instructions (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 15th September 2008, 04:44 PM
Lewis

Total Posts: 27
Please Help! Sorting Instruction Template wanted

Good Day All!!!

As with most manufacturing organizations, the need to sort/rework product becomes an absolute necessity at times. Especially when dealing with the automotive industry. The personnel that actually performs the sorting function are not necessarily the most savvy "free-thinkers" of the world, if you know what I mean. Thus, the need to provide written sorting instructions that provide clear direction becomes obviously apparent.

Does anyone know where I can find a simple template for sorting instructions that I can use and/or modify? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 15th September 2008, 06:48 PM
reynald

Total Posts: 283
Re: Looking for Sorting Instruction Template

We have a lot of sorting process, we even have a sorting machine.
Can you provide details of the process (i.e, sorting after inspection, sorting after testing, etc) so we can help you more?
  Post Number #3  
Old 15th September 2008, 07:23 PM
Wes Bucey

Total Posts: 11,159

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Lewis View Post

Good Day All!!!

As with most manufacturing organizations, the need to sort/rework product becomes an absolute necessity at times. Especially when dealing with the automotive industry. The personnel that actually performs the sorting function are not necessarily the most savvy "free-thinkers" of the world, if you know what I mean. Thus, the need to provide written sorting instructions that provide clear direction becomes obviously apparent.

Does anyone know where I can find a simple template for sorting instructions that I can use and/or modify? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
The modern concept is to avoid text instructions in favor of pictures and good/bad samples exhibiting each characteristic under scrutiny. The point is to ASSUME an inspector has NEVER seen the product before and to concentrate focus on ONLY the suspect characteristic[s] during the sort to avoid delays and wasted time examining characteristics (attributes?) NOT under scrutiny.

It may be important to remember a "sort" is not an inspection like a first article inspection, but simply a pass/fail decision on suspect dimensions or attributes.

Typically, a sort is required when only a portion of the entire production is suspect and the nonconforming characteristic has already been identified. If there is a probability of DIFFERENT (or multiple) characteristics being nonconforming, it is probably better to use higher level personnel who can more easily identify whether a part is conforming or nonconforming.

The supplier should already have a pretty good idea of root cause BEFORE the sort to assure other characteristics were kept under control.

Last edited by Wes Bucey; 9th January 2009 at 12:26 PM. Reason: fix a typo
Thank You to Wes Bucey for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #4  
Old 15th September 2008, 07:48 PM
reynald

Total Posts: 283

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Wes Bucey View Post

The modern concept is to avoid text instructions in favor of pictures and good/bad samples exhibiting each characteristic under scrutiny. The point is to ASSUME an inspector has NEVER seen the product before and to concentrate focus on ONLY the suspect characteristic[s] during the sort to avoid delays and wasted time examining characteristics (attributes?) NOT under scrutiny.
Yes, i agree with Wes.
In one of out test processes, the computer monitor flashes colors to the operator,each color having a classification code. The operator does not even have to memorize what the code means, but just need to put the product on a bin/tray that has the same color as what the monitor flashes.

This is easy for a process that do measurement, but for processes involving inspection and judgment it not as easy. But the same concept is applicable--use pictures/graphics and align them to the sorting bins.
Thanks to reynald for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #5  
Old 16th September 2008, 08:46 PM
Caster

Total Posts: 924
Re: Sorting Instruction Template wanted

As always Wes has nailed it.

The best example I ever saw, was a dedicated sort area set up in front of the plant managers office window. Needless to say, the location drove improvement!

A sort instruction was created for each sort before it began, and this was before digital cameras or software so they would cut out Polaroids (remember them?), make hand sketches, or place marked up samples on table. Anything to get the intent across. Simple is best. And of course the sorters was given hands on training before they started and were closely supervised throughout the entire sort. Of course.

I only saw this once, at a really good supplier. Most other plants hire temp people to sort and tuck them away in the darkest corner.

Toyota wants all job instructions to fit on one 11x17 sheet with photos and as little text as possible. And this piece of paper must be within arms reach of every person. In my experience it is way harder to do this than to write a 10 page document in 7 point type that no one will ever read! To be brief you must totally understand what you want to explain!

If you have ever been placed on third party containment in automotive you understand the special joy of paying top dollar to a third party to have your parts sorted by people who were pulled off the street that day...after their sort you are out of pocket lots of money and the parts on cars are likely not much better...
Thanks to Caster for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #6  
Old 17th September 2008, 05:36 PM
Lewis

Total Posts: 27

Thanks to all for the information. I whole-heartedly agree that visual aids are the best way to go, which also happens to be what I had in mind. Depending upon the product and what it's being sorted for, every sort can be different. My search for a template was an effort to standardize the method as much as possible so that I can train others on how to write a sort instruction.
Again, thanks for the information and I will post my final sort template when complete.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >