The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Work Instruction for Writing a Work Instruction - Page 3

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
documents and documentation (general), work instructions (wi)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #17  
Old 23rd December 2009, 04:02 PM
Russ Cantrell

Total Posts: n/a
Re: Work Instruction for Writing a Work Instruction

I have a WI to control my WI design and I use a template make things a little easier too. I've been using the traditional tools, a word processor, spreadsheets and a photo editor to make my WI. But I spend hours formatting and arranging things.

Recently, I found a WI tool that I believe will help me and could be of value to my peers here. This WI tool is a database and has a form to initiate a WI or tree of WIs. It maintains dates and revisions and builds a library for further use. It allows me to enter a tool list, BOM list, document list and any other kind of list I want. I don't arrange anything. I just give it the data. I can import this data or enter it. Another form allows me to enter steps, titles, instructions text, bullets, etc. Again, I just enter the data into the fields. If I have spreadsheets or photos I can drag and drop them into the step I want. When I am finished, I can click a button and publish the file in PDF format. The WI tool will allow me to choose from different templates how I want to present the WI in. I believe the WI tool comes with 8 different formatts based on industry standards that are common.

When it prints, WOW, it has everything I need on the WI . lists, headings, steps photos and everything is laid out better that I have ever been able to do myself. Oh, the WI tool has its own photo editor so it can do it all in one package.

This is not an advertisement. I expect this to make my job easier.
Thanks to for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #18  
Old 28th December 2009, 08:59 AM
smryan

Total Posts: 223

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Russ Cantrell View Post

Recently, I found a WI tool that I believe will help me and could be of value to my peers here. This WI tool is a database and has a form to initiate a WI or tree of WIs. It maintains dates and revisions and builds a library for further use. ... ...This is not an advertisement. I expect this to make my job easier.
Sounds like something I'd be interested in checking out. Can you supply a link or a URL to the tool? THANKS!
Thanks to smryan for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #19  
Old 28th December 2009, 09:24 AM
smryan

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by DrM2u View Post

Smryan, where is it implied that only the Q department can write and control instructions (other than your procedures, maybe)? And what is the criteria used to clasify the rest of the employees as clueless regarding work instructions? Why not delegate the authority and responsibility for creation and control of instructions to the departments using them and just provide them with a procedure on how to control the documents? Let them use pink sheets with purple ballons background if they chose so or write diagonally on the paper as long as they use the information and the information is to-date.
DrM - In my company the maintenance of any documentation that falls under ISO 9001 auditability is, ultimately, the responsibility of the Quality Dept. We do seem to be the ones who care most about the little details like consistent formatting, checking every cross reference and official definition, etc. Pink and purple balloons just don't cut it for a professional document.

Obviously the basic steps within a given Procedure or Work Instruction come from the folks directly involved in it - but by "clueless" I refer to people who have never written instructions for anything before and are unlikely to ever write any more in the future, so spending hours coaching and training them on how to write instructions so they can actually be followed and how to format it to company standards would be rather a waste of time.

That applies more to the project mentioned than to our regular folks. We have a few engineers who have become quite adept at writing PR and WI. And I love that.
  Post Number #20  
Old 28th December 2009, 02:21 PM
Russ Cantrell

Total Posts: n/a

smryan,
Try this.
Google "LockStep Work Instructions" and watch the videos.
WOW, less than $800.
Thanks to for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #21  
Old 28th December 2009, 03:56 PM
smryan

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Russ Cantrell View Post

smryan,
Try this.
Google "LockStep Work Instructions" and watch the videos.
WOW, less than $800.
I suppose it might be a good idea to read threads in order sometimes. On a glance it looked like this was pointing the OP to some "how-to" videos on writing WI, not a software tool. =)
  Post Number #22  
Old 28th December 2009, 06:53 PM
DrM2u

Total Posts: 777

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by smryan View Post

DrM - In my company the maintenance of any documentation that falls under ISO 9001 auditability is, ultimately, the responsibility of the Quality Dept. We do seem to be the ones who care most about the little details like consistent formatting, checking every cross reference and official definition, etc. Pink and purple balloons just don't cut it for a professional document.

Obviously the basic steps within a given Procedure or Work Instruction come from the folks directly involved in it - but by "clueless" I refer to people who have never written instructions for anything before and are unlikely to ever write any more in the future, so spending hours coaching and training them on how to write instructions so they can actually be followed and how to format it to company standards would be rather a waste of time.

That applies more to the project mentioned than to our regular folks. We have a few engineers who have become quite adept at writing PR and WI. And I love that.
Thank you for clearing things up for me. I am glad to hear that you are getting help with the WI's and wish you lots more (help, that is).
Thanks to DrM2u for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #23  
Old 5th January 2010, 01:10 AM
Yarik

Total Posts: 110

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by db View Post

My question is why do you need a work instruction? And will you need a work instruction on how to write the work instruction on how to write the work instruction on how to write the wor.........

Where does it end?
Sorry for off-topic, but just couldn't resist posting this Dilbert dialogue from 2010 calendar on my wall:
BOSS: Carol, setup a meeting with the Technology Review Board to decide how we'll decide on new technologies.

ASSISTANT: Do you also need a meeting to decide how you will put together a meeting to decide how to decide things?

BOSS: Hmm...

ASSISTANT: Maybe I should get some people together to help you answer that question?

BOSS: Maybe...
  Post Number #24  
Old 5th January 2010, 01:05 PM
Mike S.

Total Posts: 2,270

In my last company, where I was in charge, I wrote a WI for writing a Procedure and WI. It helped me to get others to write docs instead of having me do it all, provided consistency, listed the approval process, etc. It worked for the company.

The company I came to also had the same type document in use, and I referenced it when it was time for me to write a procedure.

Don't get caught up in silly arguments like "where's the procedure on how to write procedures on how to write procedures". If it works for you ignore the noise and move on.
Thanks to Mike S. for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >