The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

External Document (Documents of External Origin) Control Template example wanted

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
document control, documents and documentation (general), documents of external origin, forms and templates (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 7th December 2011, 11:25 PM
tina014

Total Posts: n/a
Thank You! External Document (Documents of External Origin) Control Template example wanted

Hi Guys,

I need help regarding External Document Control. Our auditor request a sample of external document masterlist, i really don't know how to start this one. Can somebody help me with this?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 8th December 2011, 12:02 AM
Marc

Total Posts: 26,665
Re: External Document (Documents of External Origin) Control Template example wanted

It depends upon the external documents. There are standards and specifications, there are customer supplied prints, quality manuals, and a lot of other types of documents of external origin.

How your company controls *each* of these is the issue. In many companies, for example, engineering controls customer prints while QA controls customer documents such as Supplier Quality Manuals. On the other hand, some companies use a centralized document control department in which case there is typically a "Master List".

Can you tell us a bit more about what documents of external origin you company has and which department (for example) controls which ones?
  Post Number #3  
Old 8th December 2011, 01:05 AM
tina014

Total Posts: n/a
Re: External Document (Documents of External Origin) Control Template example wanted

Hi Marc,

Im from compliance team. Im talking about any external documents whether its from client or supplier. Im asking you how to create a template or sample masterlist of external documents.

Do I need the Doc. No? the Doc.Origin? the Doc.Format? something like that.
  Post Number #4  
Old 8th December 2011, 05:36 AM
Marc

Total Posts: 26,665
I Say... Re: External Document (Documents of External Origin) Control Template example wanted

Well, assuming you're not a large company I'd just make up a spreadsheet.

Basics are:
Document Name
Document Number (if any)
Date of Document
Revision Level of Document (if any)
Source of Document
A few columns to put in any date(s) you checked to see if it is the "latest revision" (if appropriate)
Responsibility for ensuring it's the latest revision level (if appropriate)
Location (where it's kept)
That kind of basic stuff.

The key is whether each document (such as a standard) is the current revision.

But - There are times when having the latest revision isn't necessary. An example would be where a contract calls out an obsolete standard. You see that sometimes.

Hope this helps a bit. Some others here will probably have some suggestions.
Thank You to Marc for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #5  
Old 8th December 2011, 11:53 AM
Chris_Anderson

Total Posts: 39
Yin Yang Re: External Document (Documents of External Origin) Control Template example wanted

External documents may also have a document owner or custodian inside the company and a retention period. Tracking external documents is similar to tracking records.
  Post Number #6  
Old 14th December 2011, 01:55 PM
ehatheway

Total Posts: 7

My company is also working on this area.

I don't know where to draw the line between an external document begins (ISO9001:2008, ESD 2020, etc) and a design input (such as a customer specification or drawing). Does anyone have a recommendation?
  Post Number #7  
Old 15th December 2011, 04:46 AM
Raffy

Total Posts: 851
I Say... Re: External Document (Documents of External Origin) Control Template example wanted

On the upper left portion, DAte of Change was reflected since for every new or revised updated from the template said date varies.
Document No and Revision, Document Title and/or Description, Reviewed By, Date the Document was sent for review, Due Date (normally ten working days for TS requirement), Action Item, Change Notice Number (if any), Person-In-Charge and Status.
Hope this helps.
Best regards,
Raffy
  Post Number #8  
Old 15th December 2011, 04:51 AM
Stijloor

Total Posts: 15,334

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by ehatheway View Post

My company is also working on this area.

I don't know where to draw the line between an external document begins (ISO9001:2008, ESD 2020, etc) and a design input (such as a customer specification or drawing). Does anyone have a recommendation?
An external document can be used as design input. The key characteristic is external. Any document used in your quality management system but not produced by you. A simple matrix attached or linked to your document control procedure will suffice.

Stijloor.
Thanks to Stijloor for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >