Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

ISO 14001 Environmental Aspects and Impacts - The Chicken Bone Thread - Page 3

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
iso 14001 - environmental management systems, aspects and impacts (environmental), environment (environmental related)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #17  
Old 6th September 2001, 11:31 AM
Jon Shaver

Total Posts: n/a
Randy - The way I interpret it, you don't need to have o & t at each function/level. You need to have o & t and establish / maintain these at each relevant function / level. There is a difference of course.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #18  
Old 6th September 2001, 11:39 AM
Randy

Total Posts: 8,688
Thumbs up

That's how I've always looked at it too. I just wanted to bat it about a little to see if I might be going off track.
  Post Number #19  
Old 7th September 2001, 08:39 AM
Sam

Total Posts: 1,444
Quote:
"Or that the relevent funtions are those that have been identified by being the owners of the Significant Aspects? Every department within every organization has Aspects, but not all Aspects are significant and only the significant ones require addressing."
Randy,

Being new in this arena, I have chosen to interpret that para. the same as you. But, I'm not sure, I've already had someone ask me about toner cartridges and how we control disposal. In that case all of our departments have copiers and printers. That could be a case for O&T from each department.

I'm going through a pre-assessment audit on 09/27 so I will know then if I'm correct.

Last edited by Sam; 7th September 2001 at 08:44 AM.
  Post Number #20  
Old 7th September 2001, 10:57 AM
goose

Total Posts: 49
Randy and Sam,

We have significant aspects which cross into several departments, some of these have O/T at the plant level and are measured from an overall plant perspective. Since our system is new we are almost establishing a baseline.

Once we mature a bit plans are to collect and stratify data by department to see the impact on overall objective.

We just completed Step 1 of 2 Step 14001 Registration process and the registrar was ok with this approach.
  Post Number #21  
Old 7th September 2001, 11:05 AM
Randy

Total Posts: 8,688
Unless toner cartridges have been identified as a Significant Aspect or as an element of a SA who cares as long as you dispose of the according to applicable regulations/requirements. Because of some of the components of many cartridges, they can be considered/classified as hazardous waste (an Aspect) and and should not be tossed into the trash (an Aspect). The best thing to do is recycle / reuse toner cartridges if that option is available.

Remember you only have to address those aspects that are significant with specific O&T's. Many of your other aspects though may have regulatory or other requirements that require them to be addressed also, or that you may want to address. The decision is yours as to your non-significant aspects and what to do with them.

Don't get wrapped around the axle.
  Post Number #22  
Old 2nd October 2001, 04:42 PM
db

Total Posts: 2,590
Money Aspects

I agree with Randy, we use a matrix and mathematical formula as well. That is how we determine if the aspect is “significant”. We also include “business need” as part of the formula. That way if there is something that will have a large payback, you can move it closer to the top.

As far as “each relevant function and level within the organization” we use this example. Suppose you decide you need to reduce the amount of paper sent to solid waste disposal (read landfill). One option is to utilize recycling. The objective might be to reduce solid waste, and the target might be by x amount. Some functions such as engineering and the office will probably need different controls than production. The targets for them could be different, yet all departments support the overall objective of reducing solid waste. Each function and level has their own sub-part of the overall plan.

Hope it helps!
  Post Number #23  
Old 11th November 2001, 10:45 PM
Marc

Total Posts: 26,464
Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Shaver

The way I interpret it, you don't need to have o & t at each function/level.
What does 'O & T' stand for?
  Post Number #24  
Old 11th November 2001, 11:52 PM
Marc

Total Posts: 26,464
Lurker Aspects Spreadsheet

Quote:
Originally posted by db

I agree with Randy, we use a matrix and mathematical formula as well. That is how we determine if the aspect is “significant”. We also include “business need” as part of the formula.
Would you consider sharing the formula (or preferably an example of your spreadsheet as an attachment in this thread) you use?

The attached is where I'm starting from. This is for a very small company, by the way.
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before opening, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: xls hazardous.xls (12.5 KB, 1022 views)
Thank You to Marc for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >