ISO 14001 Environmental Aspects and Impacts - The Chicken Bone Thread
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

ISO 14001 Environmental Aspects and Impacts - The Chicken Bone Thread - Page 4

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
iso 14001 - environmental management systems, aspects and impacts (environmental), environment (environmental related)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #25  
Old 12th November 2001, 08:46 AM
Randy

Total Posts: 8,728
Marc,

I'll check with my present client to see if they'll let me show you what they use.

As for your list, it looks OK. Stepping out of my 14K Auditor shoes and putting on my EHS Compliance Guru ones I'll make some comment.

You may want to consider any identified Aspect that has some regulatory issue attached to it as Significant. You don't need to, but it is pretty common.

You may also address the storm water Aspect as a "Non-source point" potential pollution issue. It looks to me like this is some type of automotive maintenance or manufacturing organization.

Energy (especially) electricity is overlooked by many. Attaching significance to electricity is a good idea. There is lots of waste in all sectors on this one. Setting O&T's for energy usage can result in significant cash savings (usage of profit which has to be made up from increased sales).

I harp on the financial side of 14K more than I do the saving the environment stuff. ISO 14001 is a business management system with "Business" being the key word. Preventing pollution gives everyone a nice "warm fuzzy", saving money by reducing cost brings out smiles and is more readily understandable by the boys at the top.

I'll see what I can get for you today.

Last edited by Randy; 12th November 2001 at 08:49 AM.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #26  
Old 12th November 2001, 09:20 AM
Marc

Total Posts: 26,590
The Hat

The company is a small trucking company. Maybe 35 or 40 drivers. Everything is leased - tractors and trailers. They do oil changes and some minor service but all of that is 'caught'. Tires are taken by the lease company when they wear out. Oil and filters and antifreeze is contracted to a waste disposal company. Garage floor sweepings are contracted. Batteries are exchanged. They even have a contract for furnace filters in their offices to be changed and the used filters taken away by the maintenance contract provider.

About all they do is show up at one place, get trailer loaded, take to next place and unload.

I'd still like to know what 'O & T' stands for.
  Post Number #27  
Old 12th November 2001, 12:07 PM
Randy

Total Posts: 8,728
"O" = Objectives (what you want or intend to do) & "T" = Targets (how much you will do it).

Targets should be, but are not required to be, quantifiable. Something you can chart or graph. If you don't or can't measure it, you won't or can't manage it -- so to speak.

Look at 4.4.3 also in Appendix "A" A.3.3

One area that is frequently ignored is Appendix "A". It has tons of useful info on 14K. I also recommend ISO 14004:1996 as a reference document and absolute essential when doing implementation.

Post Number #28  
Old 12th November 2001, 12:16 PM
Marc

Thumbs up

Ah! Ok - that makes sense. Thanks!

Yeah - I have both documents.
  Post Number #29  
Old 12th November 2001, 02:22 PM
energy

Total Posts: n/a
Why not?

I'm assuming you client is in OHIO, so this may not pertain to your situation. Probably does, because most state regulation are driven by the Fed DEP.
Here's my long winded 2 cents:

Washing the trucks…You have to capture that runoff and dispose of it. In this state, Connecticut, businesses with certain SIC Codes (mostly all) must have all wastes associated with industrial activity categorized and disposed of in accordance with regulations. You already know that. We even have to have our rainwater discharge monitored. It’s called a Stomwater Discharge Permit. You cannot wash vehicles on the premises without proving there is no harm to the receiving water body.
1. A moderately expensive study of the facility and grounds.
2. A plan for all runoff water from rainfall activity. That means where you store your plowed snowfall, your vehicles, equipment, etc. Anything that can catch rainwater and contribute to pollution of the waterways. (That means the sewers) Every storm water drain must be identified and sampled for a prescribed list of potential pollutants. Then you do an annual sampling of all drains that are not common to each other. They are called outfalls. The Testing Lab puts in a little fish species called Daphnia Pulex. The mortality rate after 24 hours should not be <100% and after 48 hours, not less than <50%. If so, you must put a plan in place to reduce the “fishkill”. All this to protect the waters of the State. Your clients are better taking the trucks to a car wash than having to “Legally” flush that detergent with oil and grease down a drain. All the car washes in this state are required to have discharge permits, so they are “authorized”. Even Municipalities are not exempt. In my town the DEP cited the Street Department for washing trucks without the proper permit. The town ignored it. The DEP came back and shut them down until they figured a way to do it legally. Heavy fines were levied. They installed an underground tank that is pumped out periodically and disposed of.

As for the other facility stuff. All ours goes to an incinerator. If you tell the trash hauler what is going into their dumpsters, and they agree, dump it all. It should be in writing. It’s being burned with tons of other stuff. Going to a landfill is a whole different story.

This area of management is worse than a Quality Mgt System. Rather than unhappy customers, as we know them, the Regulatory Agencies’ CAR’s are far more serious and usually cost you more than money. We all see the companies in the news getting bagged for environmental violations. There is a stigma that goes with “Pollution” violators.
  Post Number #30  
Old 12th November 2001, 05:53 PM
Sam

Total Posts: 1,444
Marc, A basic spreadsheet that I use for identifying and rating aspects.
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before opening, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: xls aspect #5.xls (36.0 KB, 1477 views)
Thank You to Sam for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #31  
Old 12th November 2001, 07:35 PM
Marc

BIG Smile

Thanks, Sam!
  Post Number #32  
Old 12th November 2001, 09:31 PM
energy

Total Posts: n/a
O.K.

Do you have an O? & T? for rain water runoff from the building, the trucks, the drive ways and parking lots? Maybe copper, zinc from the building roof, gutters? Roof exhaust stains? Oil and grease from the truck fleet leaks? With 40 trucks, no leaks? Employees cars and their drippings? Salted and sanded snow? Loading dock spill potentials? Ostrich feathers?

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >