Classifying Software - Insulin Calculator
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Classifying Software - Insulin Calculator - Page 2

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
classification(s) of parts or products, meddev - ec guidelines on medical devices, software medical devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #9  
Old 23rd September 2016, 09:19 AM
QA-Man

Total Posts: 135
Re: Classifying Software - Insulin Calculator

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by dgrainger View Post

QA-Man - this app is software that clearly falls within the definition of a medical device and will be regulated as such in the EU - ("insulin dosage planning stand alone software." is given as an example in the software MEDDEV 2.1/6)
As I said, I was not certain. I imagined the calculator was similar to flow rate calculators for mechanical infusion pumps, which are not medical devices because they do not meet the purposes of article 1.2a. Examples here and here.

I am still curious as to the classification rule the NB said it fell under.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #10  
Old 23rd September 2016, 10:22 AM
dgrainger

Total Posts: 75

The examples you give would appear to be devices as they have a therapeutic purpose.
They would be classified by implementing rule 2.3:

2.3. Software, which drives a device or influences the use of a device, falls automatically in the same class.
  Post Number #11  
Old 23rd September 2016, 02:49 PM
QA-Man

Total Posts: 135

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by dgrainger View Post

The examples you give would appear to be devices as they have a therapeutic purpose.
They would be classified by implementing rule 2.3:

2.3. Software, which drives a device or influences the use of a device, falls automatically in the same class.
I disagree. The calculators in the examples I gave do not drive a device or influence the use of a device no more than a pen or piece of paper used to do a hand calculation.

In fact, both of the calculators I posted links to are used widely across the EEA as non-devices.
  Post Number #12  
Old 26th September 2016, 09:03 PM
missjenny

Total Posts: 43

Thank you for the thoughtful discussion.

This is another reason why I was having trouble deciding whether it was a Class IIa device or a Class IIb device. I wasn't quite convinced that a bolus calculator app that is independent of insulin pumps and pens could be seen as "insulin dosage planning" software or that it is directly driving or influencing them as the users themselves can decide to not follow the recommended dosage.

However, it does seem like it is a medical device. Just not sure which. And if it is indeed a medical device, then it means I have to find clinical evidence for it which I am quite unfamiliar with as I have only dealt with IVDs in the past. I'm not sure there are much evidence out there for calculators.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >