The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Same Medical Device, Different Classifications By Different NB?

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
medical device listing codes and classifications

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 15th February 2017, 12:16 PM
rcjpedro

Total Posts: 17
Please Help! Same Medical Device, Different Classifications By Different NB?

Hi All!

What say you when the same Medical Device gets classified as IIb by a NB and as IIa by a different NB? I have the certificates, one my own and competition downloaded from the world wide web.

And to whom should this issue be reported?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 15th February 2017, 05:07 PM
Mark Meer

Total Posts: 891
Re: Same Medical Device, Different Classifications By Different NB?

I don't know how this is possible.

I didn't think that it was allowed to have more than one NB for a given device...

In anycase, is it not possible to ask for the classification rationale? i.e. by what MDD rule is the device classified?
Thanks to Mark Meer for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #3  
Old 15th February 2017, 06:09 PM
rcjpedro

Hi Mark

Sorry for any confusion.

One device is manufactured by my company and certified by one Notified Body, class IIa

The other device is placed on the market by another manufacturer(competition), certified by a diferent Notified Body, class IIb.

Thank you for your interest
  Post Number #4  
Old 15th February 2017, 06:21 PM
Mark Meer

In my experience, it's up to you to present the classification and rationale (MDD rule) for your device, and NBs will review and either agree or not.

...so if your NB agrees with your rationale for Class IIa, then great!

The fact that a competing (equivalent) device has a different classification through a different NB probably just means that the other manufacturer or NB has adopted a different interpretation of the rules with respect to their device.

Because (I presume) you and your competitor's devices are not completely identical, this may be a result of, for example, different materials, differently worded intended use/indications, or perhaps simply a more conservative definition of "potentially hazardous" when assessing the MDD rules.
Thank You to Mark Meer for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #5  
Old 15th February 2017, 07:27 PM
rcjpedro

Hi Mark

Upon first submission of TF for approval we had a CAPA request based on a NB Consensus Statement regarding this type of equipment

In Consensus Statement it was clear that they are IIa

Off topic a bit but how can Global Medical Device Nomenclature (GMDN) work if this kind of situation is not addressed?

Thanks in advance
  Post Number #6  
Old 15th February 2017, 07:55 PM
Mark Meer

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by rcjpedro View Post

Off topic a bit but how can Global Medical Device Nomenclature (GMDN) work if this kind of situation is not addressed?
I don't know. This is a shortcoming of such systems.

I'm not a big fan of attempts for descriptive categories like GMDN, or the FDA's product codes. They are just too rigid, and fail to account for all the possible variations in the way a device can be designed, constructed, and operated.

I think a risk-based rule system (like in MDD 93/42/EEC Annex IX) is preferable, as it allows devices to be assessed case-by-case.
Thank You to Mark Meer for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #7  
Old 20th February 2017, 02:54 PM
pkost

Total Posts: 824

the above points are correct - the manufacturer evaluates the rules and decides a classification which they must justify. The NB then reviews this classification, if they agree then all is good.

The decisions of the NBs should be aligned however they aren't always. If you do not agree with your NB's decision, then you can request clarification from the competent authority. If you still disagree then the European court has final say in the matter (I've missed some steps).

Likely causes of a difference:
1. There is an additional claim in one product that changes the classification, it could be subtle and easy to miss. (If the two NBs you refer to are in the same country I would say this is the more likely option)

2. There are some products that competent authorities classify differently
Thank You to pkost for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #8  
Old 21st February 2017, 09:49 AM
chris1price

Total Posts: 259

If the two devices are correctly classified, that it is likely that the intended use of the devices is different. This could be the location in the body the device is used, whether it is is intended to be connected to an active device, etc.

I dont think there is currently a connection between the GMDN code and the classification unde rthe MDD, although this may chnage in the future.
Thanks to chris1price for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >