Combination Charts in Excel to stack the data/Chart of Week 2 on top of Week 1
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 6th May 2005, 03:06 PM
Winner

Total Posts: 27
Please Help! Combination Charts in Excel to stack the data/Chart of Week 2 on top of Week 1

Dear Covers,

Have you ever worked with Combination charts in Excel? I was wondering if any of you has worked on the kind of chart I am talking about.

Please have a look at the data and the Chart1 for Week1.

The question/ problem is: Is there a way to stack the data/Chart of Week 2 on top of Week1? I am talking about the Stacked column for charts such that you can see the weekly improvement in a factor over a month.

I can do it for 1 factor as shown in Chart 3 of the Excel file but not for 3 factors.

Any ideas, comments, suggestion?

Thanks a lot,

Harsh

P.S.- Please see the Excel file attached.
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before opening, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: xls problem.xls (20.0 KB, 395 views)

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 6th May 2005, 03:29 PM
little__cee

Total Posts: 297
Maybe...

IF I understand it, and that's a big IF on a Friday afternoon, couldn't you set up your data like so:

t1f1 2 3
t2f1 1 8
t3f1 4 5

week1 week2

Where t1f1 = Type1Factor1, t2f1=Type2Factor1, and etc.

Maybe that's too simple - sorry but I'm feeling the effects of massive doses of Sudafed, Throat Spray, Nasal Spray, and lots and lots of Vicks' VapoRub so its possible that I misunderstood your problem. Hope my solution helps you to get on the right track.
  Post Number #3  
Old 6th May 2005, 03:40 PM
Jen Kirley

Total Posts: 6,129
Would it help to use a combination bar and area chart? This is available among the custom chart selections.
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before opening, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: xls problem.xls (23.5 KB, 265 views)
  Post Number #4  
Old 6th May 2005, 03:48 PM
SteelMaiden

Total Posts: 4,196
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by little__cee

IF I understand it, and that's a big IF on a Friday afternoon, couldn't you set up your data like so:

t1f1 2 3
t2f1 1 8
t3f1 4 5

week1 week2

Where t1f1 = Type1Factor1, t2f1=Type2Factor1, and etc.

Maybe that's too simple - sorry but I'm feeling the effects of massive doses of Sudafed, Throat Spray, Nasal Spray, and lots and lots of Vicks' VapoRub so its possible that I misunderstood your problem. Hope my solution helps you to get on the right track.
That is what I get out of the question/example as well. Just below your factor 1 for types 1-3, you would input factor 2 for t1-3 and then factor 3 for t1-3, then everything is on the same chart.
  Post Number #5  
Old 7th May 2005, 02:04 PM
Winner

Total Posts: 27
Thank you so much!!

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by SteelMaiden

That is what I get out of the question/example as well. Just below your factor 1 for types 1-3, you would input factor 2 for t1-3 and then factor 3 for t1-3, then everything is on the same chart.
Sometimes, hangover helps in concentration

I firstly thought that I got you all confused with the problem. So I changed all the factor and type names; paraphrased my question and was about to send the question to the forum again.

However, Steel Maiden's last lines struck me and I thought to myself that I didnt try that combination of data at all. And guess what, it worked!!!!!! Yay!! Thank you!

The reason Jennifer, I dont want to go for complex ( Area and other combination) charts is that- the charts are not meant for me . Charts are either for the experts, i.e., people working on the machines or the decision makers i.e. Plant Managers/CEO and they will have a hard time understanding what the charts are trying to convey.

Before making any depictions, I talk to people in all departments and ask them what information do they want in what format. And then start making them.

I have uploaded the chart which I wanted , scroll to the very bottom. Its the chart in the end.

best,

Harsh
File Type: xls problem.xls (30.5 KB, 348 views)
  Post Number #6  
Old 7th May 2005, 03:35 PM
Jen Kirley

Total Posts: 6,129
Harsh, I didn't understand it as well as Steel Maiden did. I'm glad you got the right resolution to your problem!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > > >