The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Difference Between PFMEA & Control Plan

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
control plans, differences (general), pfmea (process fmea), process fmea

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 10th September 2018, 09:18 PM
OmarEn

Total Posts: 26
Please Help! Difference Between PFMEA & Control Plan

Hello Guys,

I have a question about a difference between a PFMEA & Control Plan in the final inspection operation.

in the PFMEA, in the final inspection operation, there are only two possible failure modes:
2500-01 - mixed parts
2500-02 - damaged parts.

In my control plan, besides those failure modes, I need to add all the previous in-process failure modes. But this way (if I keep adding rows), will not be a link between my PFMEA and CP.

I have asked for my process engineer to add all previous in-process failure modes that the inspector will check, but he says this is not possible since in the PFMEA there are only the failure modes that are produced at each station.
I have attached a PPT illustrating my point.

What do you guys think is the better way to cope with this situation?

Thanks in advance for your feedback,
Regards.
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before opening, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: pptx PFMEA vs CP.pptx (64.2 KB, 47 views)

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 11th September 2018, 02:39 AM
AMIT BALLAL

Total Posts: 249
re: Difference Between PFMEA & Control Plan

Failure modes have to be prevented and detected at the point of manufacture (at station), wherever possible.

Final inspection is an additional detection control for these failure modes. Instead of adding failure modes at final inspection, you can add Final inspection at stages as an additional control.

Adding failure modes of earlier stations won't be right IMHO. You can specify product characteristics to be checked in control plan / give reference to other document specifying these characteristics.

Last edited by AMIT BALLAL; 11th September 2018 at 02:57 AM.
  Post Number #3  
Old 11th September 2018, 03:27 AM
Sebastian

Total Posts: 307
re: Difference Between PFMEA & Control Plan

In my earlier post I've presented what are main requirements for inspection activities. If you know these requirements your first idea won't be e.g. damage of parts.

Scope of product inspection activities following manufacturing process is defined strictly by failure modes determined for manufacturing process and proposed there detection activities. That's simple "copy paste" job during creation of control plan.
  Post Number #4  
Old 11th September 2018, 05:23 PM
QuinnM

Total Posts: 23
Re: Difference Between PFMEA & Control Plan

Hi OmarEn,

For PFMEA’s I always ask what could go wrong. What would go wrong during inspection? Missing damaged or mixed material could happen. What is the risk to missing adulterated parts and what is the mitigation would be in the final inspection. This is not to say that damaged and mixed materials should not be part of a PFMEA.

I am interested to read other responses because I have not linked a PFMEA and a control plan with the level of detail that your company performs.

QuinnM

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >