The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
GR&R on Automated Inspection Cell
Please read this thread...
Software update
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
automated measurement gages, data analysis, gage r&r (repeatability and reproducibility), inspection (general), reproducibility (gage r&r)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 10th August 2018, 03:49 PM
Ron Rompen

Total Posts: 571
Please Help! GR&R on Automated Inspection Cell

Haven't been able to find any previous references to this question, but I am sure that some of the members here will have suggestions as to how to approach this issue.

I have been instructed to perform GR&R on an automated inspection cell. There are several discreet test stations in the cell, and it is possible to identify which cell a reject came from.

My question is how to best perform and analyze the study. At first I thought of doing it as an attribute study (the cell basically gives a pass/fail result) however I want to also capture the fact that a part is consistently rejected at the SAME station, demonstrating that the gauging is repeatable.

The other question is how to deal with the reproducibility. Parts are loaded onto a conveyor before entering into the cell, and then are handled by robots through all subsequent stages. The robot(s) are error-proofed so that an incorrectly loaded part will not be processed.

There is no opportunity for operator influence that I can identify, unless I have overlooked something.

Any suggestions as to how to capture and analyze the data?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 13th August 2018, 07:49 AM
Miner

Total Posts: 4,352
Look! Re: GR&R on Automated Inspection Cell

Is the decision to classify the part as Pass/Fail based on a continuous measurement? This measurement may not be displayed, but may potentially be accessible if the data are stored by the tester. If this is the case, you may treat the stations as if they were operators. Reproducibility would then be station to station reproducibility rather than operator to operator.
Thanks to Miner for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #3  
Old 13th August 2018, 08:16 AM
Ron Rompen

Re: GR&R on Automated Inspection Cell

Thanks Miner. The decision is made (if I understand your question) based on discrete measurements in some cases, and continuous measurements in others. I have considered using each station in the cell as a separate operator.

Thanks for your input
  Post Number #4  
Old 13th August 2018, 12:05 PM
Bev D

Total Posts: 3,614

Does each station perform the same test(s)?
  Post Number #5  
Old 13th August 2018, 12:13 PM
Miner

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Bev D View Post

Does each station perform the same test(s)?
Good question. My response assumes that they do perform the same tests.
  Post Number #6  
Old 14th August 2018, 08:10 AM
Ron Rompen

No, each station within the cell performs a different test.
  Post Number #7  
Old 14th August 2018, 09:06 AM
Miner

Then you can only do a Repeatability study, not an R&R study.
  Post Number #8  
Old 14th August 2018, 10:33 AM
bobdoering

Total Posts: 4,094

I have performed 50 pc attribute study, with about half with bad pieces that include representative bad for each station. I run them through 9 times and use the first 3 as operator 1, second three trials as operator 2 and 3rd trial as operator 3. Then, you can see if over the run there were any stability issues. That would likely be more meaningful than just running stations as operators. Looks obvious on the Minitab charts is there is one. An attribute study answers the question whether or not the gage can determine bad parts. That is pretty much all you need to know. Rarely will variable data from a gage like this be used to adjust the process, so variable studies are not very productive.
Thanks to bobdoering for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >