The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Who does a QC (Quality Control) Auditor report to?
Please read this thread...
Software update
Who does a QC (Quality Control) Auditor report to?
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Who does a QC (Quality Control) Auditor report to? - Page 2

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
quality assurance (qa), responsibilities

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #9  
Old 30th June 2017, 08:49 AM
Tyler C

Total Posts: 95
Re: Who does a QC (Quality Control) Auditor report to?

I think it also depends on whether or not internal auditing is a full time role, or just part time. For example, in my organization all internal auditors have full time jobs outside of auditing, and report to their respective departments. However, when it comes to audits, I facilitate the process and my word carries more weight than the department supervisors, in regard to the auditing process.

So, if one of the salesman is scheduled to do an audit, they will not be auditing the sales department because they cannot audit their own work, per clause 8.2.2 of the ISO 9001:2008 standard, "...Auditors shall not audit their own work."

My opinion, if they are full time auditors, their department should be QA/QC and report to you. If they are not full time auditors, they should report to their respective departments, but cannot audit their departments, or at least the function of their department that they work in.
Thank You to Tyler C for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #10  
Old 30th June 2017, 09:45 AM
Eredhel

Total Posts: 273

It really is up to the organization. One compromise might be letting the auditors report to department managers they don't audit.

Edit: By compromise I meant for the organization decided, not the standard or any auditor.

Last edited by Eredhel; 30th June 2017 at 11:03 AM.
  Post Number #11  
Old 30th June 2017, 10:06 AM
QC Dave

Total Posts: 15

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Randy View Post

In referencing what you're talking about just quote the standard...."Ensure objectivity and impartiality of the audit process"

Then find out why those people want the auditors under their thumbs and watch their eyes when they tell you
I saw that, but couldn't they say that since it only says that under 8.2.2 and not 8.2.3 & 8.2.4 that it only applies to Internal Audits and not the process audits?

Just trying to cover my bases here, not be argumentative.
  Post Number #12  
Old 30th June 2017, 12:57 PM
Golfman25

Total Posts: 1,430

I think Tyler's got it.

And I guess it depends on what "report to" means. I would not have a situation where someone audits their department. So they still report to their dept. manager. But for that week they do the audit, technically they would report to whoever is in charge of the audit process.

Sounds to me this is one of those ISO fiefdom issues.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >