Audit Finding Flowchart for Feedback
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
audit nonconformances and findings, feedback, flowcharts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 3rd July 2017, 07:47 PM
leaning

Total Posts: 44
Thank You!

Hello!

In my studies, I was getting the corrective action process for nonconforming items mixed up with the corrective action process for audit findings. So, I flowcharted both, but I'd appreciate more eyes on it for feedback (good or bad).

(I'm posting the nonconforming item flowchart on another forum for similar review: "Nonconforming item flowchart for feedback" (EC won't let me link to it yet.)

I appreciate all your help and info.

In my studies, I was getting the corrective action process for nonconforming items mixed up with the corrective action process for audit findings. So, I flowcharted both, but I'd appreciate more eyes on it for feedback (good or bad).

(I'm posting the audit finding flowchart on another forum for similar review:"Audit Finding Flowchart for feedback" (EC won't let me link to it yet.)

I appreciate all your help and info.

Regards,
leaning
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before opening, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: pptx Audit Findings.pptx (41.8 KB, 130 views)
File Type: pptx Item Nonconformance.pptx (47.4 KB, 107 views)

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 3rd July 2017, 08:04 PM
Golfman25

Total Posts: 1,393
Re: Nonconforming item flowchart for feedback

I'm linear. Way to complicated for me.
  Post Number #3  
Old 4th July 2017, 12:53 AM
leaning

Re: Audit Finding Flowchart for Feedback

I see one thing I need to remove: "incidental" is a "Classification of characteristics" thing which has nothing to to do with defects.

Defect Seriousness Classifications: critical, major, minor
Classification of Characteristics: critical, major, minor, incidental

It'd be nice if they didn't share three of the same levels.

Regards,
leaning
  Post Number #4  
Old 5th July 2017, 08:55 AM
howste

Total Posts: 5,061

While most of the flow is probably correct, I agree with Golfman that if you put it into a procedure it's too complicated for most people. Is this for use in the real world, or is this for a class?

One thing that I notice in both diagrams is that you do the corrective actions to address the root cause(s), and then you do the action to prevent recurrence. These are the same thing. Here's the definition of corrective action in ISO 9000:
Quote:
corrective action

action to eliminate the cause of a nonconformity and to prevent recurrence

Note 1 to entry: There can be more than one cause for a nonconformity

Note 2 to entry: Corrective action is taken to prevent recurrence whereas preventive action is taken to prevent occurrence.
What you probably meant was to do containment and correction, then do the corrective action based on the cause(s).

FYI here's the ISO definition of correction:
Quote:
correction

action to eliminate a detected nonconformity
Thanks to howste for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #5  
Old 5th July 2017, 05:47 PM
leaning

Howste,

I did ASQ's CQT, CQIA, CSSGB, CQI, CQPA, CQE, plus I had LSSGB and LSSBB from the Army. Right now, I am part-time employee teaching a CQE test prep course.

When I took those tests, I hated the standard books that are normally used (QCI, ASQ handbooks, etc.) , so I created my own notes that condense all the expected stuff down to the bare bones plus capture the other nuggets that pop up that you spend too much time thinking about ("sensory Weibull ordinal tools", "Kepner-Tregoe", etc.) that aren't in those books.

The audit section isn't real technical, so if I can get a flow overview on a few pages, it saves the students from having to do the in-depth digging to find the answer. I'll get your feedback in there. Thanks for your help.
Regards,
leaning
  Post Number #6  
Old 6th July 2017, 10:07 AM
leaning

howste,

If I get what you are saying, you wouldn't do corrective action for something and then preventive action for that same something. Whatever corrective action you take by definition should fix the something and then stop it from ever happening again.

So, for an audit finding or nonconformance, you would never need to do preventive action steps for that finding/issue because the corrective action steps would capture those for now and the future.

So, preventive actions would only be for things you have never encountered before, otherwise, you would be handling those things under corrective action steps.

Is this good?

Regards,
leaning
  Post Number #7  
Old 6th July 2017, 12:27 PM
howste

Total Posts: 5,061

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by leaning View Post

howste,

If I get what you are saying, you wouldn't do corrective action for something and then preventive action for that same something. Whatever corrective action you take by definition should fix the something and then stop it from ever happening again.

So, for an audit finding or nonconformance, you would never need to do preventive action steps for that finding/issue because the corrective action steps would capture those for now and the future.

So, preventive actions would only be for things you have never encountered before, otherwise, you would be handling those things under corrective action steps.

Is this good?

Regards,
leaning
Exactly. Preventive actions prevent something that hasn't happened yet, and corrective actions prevent something that has already happened from happening again. You wouldn't do both for the same issue.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >