The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Missing Corrective Actions - Workforce does not trigger corrective action requests
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Missing Corrective Actions - Workforce does not trigger corrective action requests
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
corrective action (ca), corrective action systems, employee development and motivation, employees (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 5th October 2017, 03:10 PM
MarilynJ6354

Total Posts: 70
Please Help! Missing Corrective Actions - Workforce does not trigger corrective action requests

We have an internal corrective action database and another for vendor issues. so far in 2017 the only documented issues were corrective actions from internal audits. Every year it was less and less until now...no one is using it. As the internal auditor, I ask the question each time and I am told it's too much of a bother to enter them, or it never fixes the issues, etc. My question is, how do I handle this when I discuss with top management? If no one is using it, then writing a corrective action isn't going to solve the problem.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 5th October 2017, 03:36 PM
Golfman25

Total Posts: 1,390
re: Missing Corrective Actions - Workforce does not trigger corrective action requests

Are they just not using the database? Or not doing corrective actions at all?

If not doing corrective actions, then they may be missing an opportunity and likely have a problem. This should probably be brought to management's attention and a workable solution figured out.

If it is just the database, then that may be overkill. They should look at getting rid of it because it doesn't appear useful. Good luck.
  Post Number #3  
Old 5th October 2017, 03:44 PM
MarilynJ6354

Total Posts: 70
re: Missing Corrective Actions - Workforce does not trigger corrective action requests

Yes I think they need to get rid of it and track them another way and right now they just say we fix problems as needed. No proof!
  Post Number #4  
Old 5th October 2017, 04:42 PM
Sidney Vianna

Total Posts: 9,316

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by MarilynJ6354 View Post

My question is, how do I handle this when I discuss with top management?
Data analytics. If you can demonstrate, with factual data, that repeated problems are detracting from the organization bottomline, top management should then understand that an effective corrective action system is a ble$$ing in di$gui$e, demanding attention to the need to prevent repeated problems.

Corrective action process, if well executed, separates the organizations that want to learn from their mistakes in order to continually improve, from the competition that keeps shooting themselves in the foot, over and over, leaking profits and reputation along the way. Of all the high performing organizations I had a chance to work with, the common element was a robust, company wide-embraced, effective corrective action process. You can't mature as an organization, if you keep making the same silly mistakes, week in, week out. It is simply dumb to operate in that fashion and like the cliche' says: Funny that we don't have the time to do it right, but, somehow, we find the time to do it twice. Or 3 times until we fix it....

However, if the organization's management is not enlightened enough to see the benefits of a business-savvy corrective action process, very little the underlings can do, other than learning transcendental meditation to deal with the daily frustrations of working in a dysfunctional place.

Good luck.

Last edited by Sidney Vianna; 5th October 2017 at 06:18 PM.
Thanks to Sidney Vianna for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #5  
Old 5th October 2017, 05:31 PM
Golfman25

Total Posts: 1,390
Re: Missing Corrective Actions - Workforce does not trigger corrective action request

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by MarilynJ6354 View Post

Yes I think they need to get rid of it and track them another way and right now they just say we fix problems as needed. No proof!
Actually it's ok to just fix some problems. Many corrective action systems get bogged down because they get clogged with nonsensical stuff -- everything requires a full blow corrective action analysis and the paper that goes with it. People stop using it because it's a burden -- its more trouble to do the paperwork than it is to just fix the problem. What they need to do is to figure out how to limit full corrective actions to the big items. Then it will become useful. Good luck.
Thanks to Golfman25 for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #6  
Old 5th October 2017, 06:08 PM
Marc

Total Posts: 26,501
Re: Missing Corrective Actions - Workforce does not trigger corrective action request

Some thoughts: To Corrective Action or to not Corrective Action, that is the question
Thanks to Marc for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #7  
Old 6th October 2017, 01:26 AM
normzone

Total Posts: 751

A couple of lines from my current corrective action subroutine loop:

There is something perceived as an issue going on - does something need to be done ? If not, corrective action need not occur.

Something needs to be done - will the process be changed? If not, then only correction is required, corrective action is not.

If you're not going to change the process, the corrective action is unlikely to be effective.

And, as [Sidney Vianna] mentioned above, learn transcendental meditation to deal with the daily frustrations of working in a dysfunctional place.
Thanks to normzone for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >