The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
Communication Needs Identification and Communication Model Development
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
communications, efqm - european foundation for quality management

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 6th August 2014, 06:39 AM
Lavania

Total Posts: 13
Please Help! Communication Needs Identification and Communication Model Development

Dear Friends

After carrying out a gap analysis using the RADAR tool for enablers in the EFQM model, we came across a lacuna in many of our processes.
Actually we are still not over with the exercise.

Under the People Criteria we do not have a robust method of identifying communication needs.

Is there a scientific approach to identify communication needs of employees? If not then how can it be done? How can a communication model be built with the help of it?

Can anybody please help me out?

HR was suggested to use the KANO model considering the communication to be a service to identify needs, but somehow its not giving me comfort.

(I am not from HR but am the business excellence coordinator and can always suggest for an improvement...)

Regards
Lavania

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 7th August 2014, 08:34 AM
RoxaneB

Total Posts: 2,981
Re: Communication Needs Identification and Communication Model Development

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Lavania

After carrying out a gap analysis using the RADAR tool for enablers in the EFQM model, we came across a lacuna in many of our processes. Actually we are still not over with the exercise.
I actually had to look up the word 'lacuna' and English is my first language.

Quote:

Under the People Criteria we do not have a robust method of identifying communication needs.

Is there a scientific approach to identify communication needs of employees? If not then how can it be done? How can a communication model be built with the help of it?

Can anybody please help me out?

HR was suggested to use the KANO model considering the communication to be a service to identify needs, but somehow its not giving me comfort.

(I am not from HR but am the business excellence coordinator and can always suggest for an improvement...)
Why do you not wish to pursue H.R.'s suggestion? It's a starting point. Granted, it presumes that all of the characteristics and attributes for determining effective communication are in place and the "right" ones.

Keep it simple. Why not simply survey employees to find out what they want to know about the business and how they would like it communicated to them?
Sponsored Links

Post Number #3  
Old 7th August 2014, 08:58 AM
Lavania

Hey RCBeyette thanks.

Actually, the HR team is struggling to frame the questions based on the KANO model

We are having umpteen no. of surveys which is not being liked by the people.

So was wondering if there was any other scientific approach to identify needs based on which a communication model can be developed which clearly identifies 5W 1H of the communication to be done.

Regards
Lavania
  Post Number #4  
Old 7th August 2014, 10:53 AM
RoxaneB

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Lavania View Post

Actually, the HR team is struggling to frame the questions based on the KANO model
The Kano model is less about questions and more about perceptions on attributes and characteristics. For example, if using Kano, you would not ask, "How would you like the organization to communicate performance to you?" Instead, it would be something like "The company newsletter clearly articulates company performance in an engaging manner." 'Articulates' speaks to the implementation of communicating performance whereas 'engaging' speaks to level of satisfaction.

Quote:

We are having umpteen no. of surveys which is not being liked by the people.
WHY don't like the surveys? Is it the quantity? The length? The purpose? The lack of communication regarding the results or outcomes? Surveys can be a useful tool, but also easily over-used. Some organizations perceive them as the easy way to engage staff, not realizing that there are more creative - and less irritating the whole population - ways to gain opinion. Although, let's face it...sometimes, folks just want leadership to lead the way. Don't ask for opinions. Leaders are there to lead...to make decisions...to set the direction and pace.

Quote:

So was wondering if there was any other scientific approach to identify needs based on which a communication model can be developed which clearly identifies 5W 1H of the communication to be done.
If all you want is a communication plan, document the steps on developing a newsletter and gaining feedback on the content and style. If you want something effective, you'll need a plan that has steps addressing things such as:
  • Stakeholders / Audience - Are there groups of employees where communication must be tailored? Some communication methods are more formal.
  • What are you trying to communicate? What do people want to know?
  • How often is communication needed?
  • Where will it be received? Depending on the message and the audience, options could be email, web updates, lunchroom tv, newsletter, etc.
  • Will the communication be one-way or two-way (i.e., open to feedback)?

But you've mentioned 'scientific approach' twice now. How do you define 'scientific approach'? My definition is more "lab-based" and includes a hypothesis...but that could be because of my technical background.

I'm guessing you mean that you want something that is meaningful and relevant to your company. The only way you can properly identify the communication needs of your employees is to actually talk with them and gain their feedback/input. Survey, crowd sourcing, suggestion box, and other feedback-generating methods are your best bet. Only once you know WHAT employees want to know and HOW they want to hear it, can you identify your organization's communication gaps and develop an action plan to address those gaps.
Thank You to RoxaneB for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #5  
Old 7th August 2014, 11:57 PM
Lavania

Hey Roxane....

That was enlightening...Shall surely pass on this information to the HR team.

Thanks
Lavania
  Post Number #6  
Old 22nd September 2014, 06:42 AM
Lavania

Hey Roxane

Just for a small update.

HR carried out a need identification exercise that was pretty exhaustive.

They split the organisation into 20 categories and did a focus group study with each category.

To name a few - Gen Y, Gen X, Baby Boomers, Women, New entrants, about to retire etc. etc.

They then stratified all the identified needs under Top down, bottom up and bi-directional communication.

A calendar was prepared for each of the three clearly identifying frequency and mode.

HR is trying to develop a model based on this study now.

Thanks for your guidance.

Regards
Lavania
  Post Number #7  
Old 22nd September 2014, 07:58 AM
RoxaneB

Thanks for the update!

20 groups?!?! Wow. I presume your organization is large enough to justify that many groups. What about people that fall into multiple categories? Was it possible for a person to be included in more than one focus group (because that could skew the results).

Needless to say, it sounds like a lot of data was collected. Here's the thing with statistics...I remember being told by a profession that "If you torture the numbers long enough, they will eventually scream what you want to hear."

Playing with the results in so many ways is all well and good, but it can cloud the reality of the situation. Has a more simple approach been looked at? If it works out for your organization, I'm happy for you. My instincts are telling me that this situation has been made more complicated than it needs to be.
  Post Number #8  
Old 22nd September 2014, 08:24 AM
Lavania

I agree they complicated it a bit...

But the calendar is neat and covers most of the aspects.

The members were repeating in the groups but the needs pertaining to each group were quite different.

We have a workforce of around 270....So 20 is fair enough.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >