The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
The Effect of Heat on Production and Quality
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
human factors, production

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 1st August 2017, 05:48 PM
Ron Rompen

Total Posts: 535
Question The Effect of Heat on Production and Quality

Now that summer is here, I am seeing (once again) an upswing in quality rejects, as well as a slight downward trend in overall production values. This is not the first time I've noticed it, but this is the first time that I've actually paid enough attention to it to want to DO something about it.

So, to cut to the chase - to sell any kind of 'new' idea to our management team, I need some solid information to back me up on my hypothesis (elevated temperatures on the plant floor correlate with poor quality/lower production). So far I have not been able to find any studies which have been undertaken along these lines, but I am sure they exist, I just am not wording my search query correctly.

Can anyone here point me in the right direction? Even if its to a paper/study which disproves my theory - then I can stop wasting time on it, and start working on the next one :-)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 1st August 2017, 06:39 PM
Marc

Total Posts: 26,038
Re: The Effect of Heat on Production and Quality

I assume you haven't tracked temperature and humidity the past few years.
Sorry - I can't help. I don't remember ever having seen such a study. Hopefully someone else has.

I did work with a company that was moving a plant to Mexico some years back. It was an older place and had furnaces. It was summer and very hot inside and out. They had to track temperature and humidity due to a regulation with regard to working conditions. There were days when I was there when they had to give the employees hydration (they chose... popsicles of all things). I think there was a longer break time, too if I remember correctly. I remember HR was responsible for monitoring and tracking the production area and taking action when temperatures reached a certain level.
Sponsored Links

Post Number #3  
Old 1st August 2017, 10:10 PM
Ron Rompen

Yes, we do track temperature and humidity (OHSA requirement), but the data is not very well maintained or accessible. I was hoping to find a study (preferably by someone with alphabet soup after his name) which links increased workplace temperature to reduced quality/productivity.
I have seen a similar study for cold temperatures, but I can't recall where I found it, or how.
  Post Number #4  
Old 1st August 2017, 11:54 PM
Golfman25

Total Posts: 983

Couldn't you just study it yourself? Compare you numbers today with numbers from December/January. See if there is a change.

But cutting to the chase -- what can you really do about it? AC and fans I suppose?
  Post Number #5  
Old 2nd August 2017, 12:12 AM
somashekar

Total Posts: 5,262

This search result

Hope you will get some inputs .....
  Post Number #6  
Old 2nd August 2017, 10:45 PM
Ron Rompen

Thanks Soma.

And yes Golfman, I can start to do the study now - however (knowing our senior team) I will need to have some 'scholarly' articles to back up my hypothesis.
  Post Number #7  
Old 2nd August 2017, 11:47 PM
Jen Kirley

Total Posts: 6,036

What is made there?

I once did a ROI study based on two major types of defects in late-stage CNC machining of a critical characteristic, a tight tolerance press fit surface. We were able to chart the defect rates throughout the day and season, and correlate them with temperature and humidity fluctuations that the machinist was not able to keep up with and make his adjustments.

Based on the cost of lost sales for those parts, I added up the costs of walling off the CNC area (small room) and putting a window air conditioner in there, and running it for a year. I determined that if we could save just 10% of those parts, the upgrades would pay themselves off in six months.

Once you chart parts losses on a linear time scale, you can count up their costs and compare them to infrastructure upgrades using a quality cost calculator such as the one I attached in the QA Inspection Gate - QA caught defect in the buy-off stage? thread.

A paper on the productivity subject is available here for purchase and an article can be found here.
Thank You to Jen Kirley for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #8  
Old 3rd August 2017, 07:11 AM
gpainter

Total Posts: 1,189

Knowing what you do would help. Summer is not only heat and humidity related to quality or lack of but other factors that may apply include: usually there is summer help that may not be experienced, usually summer is associated to longer hours and more work going thru, turnover is sometimes higher in the summer, summer may be your profit season so more stress to get it out the door, vacations are taken and people are out. These things can also have an impact on safety.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >