Elsmar Cove Quality DiscussionsSupplier of Automatic Gaging Systems need to be on our Approved Supplier List?The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
Supplier of Automatic Gaging Systems need to be on our Approved Supplier List?
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 6th June 2007, 07:49 AM
zzz123

Total Posts: 12
Question Supplier of Automatic Gaging Systems need to be on our Approved Supplier List?

We have a company that has built several automatic gaging systems for us. Do they need to be included on our approved supplier list? Are they required to be ISO certified?

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 17th August 2007, 10:03 PM
harry

Total Posts: 6,290
Re: Company that Supplies our Automatic Gaging Systems on Approved Supplier List

My answer to the first part of your question is 'YES' because gaging is an important/critical part of your process.

If you are TS certified then as a minimum, they need to be ISO 9001 certified.

Lets hear from other 'Covers'.
  Post Number #3  
Old 17th August 2007, 11:20 PM
atitheya

Total Posts: 135
Re: Supplier of Automatic Gaging Systems need to be on our Approved Supplier List?

You definitely need to re-evaluate the supplier / supplier's performance periodically, against a defined criteria. If you have a process of evaluation, re-evaluation, approval and maintaining an approved list then YES, they need to be on your approved supplier list.

The product supplied by them needs to be verified against the purchase requirement. If you are ISO 9001 certified, then they need to be ISO 9001 certified if YOUR system / criteria says so.
  Post Number #4  
Old 18th August 2007, 03:41 AM
potdar

Total Posts: 510
Re: Supplier of Automatic Gaging Systems need to be on our Approved Supplier List?

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by zzz123 View Post

We have a company that has built several automatic gaging systems for us. Do they need to be included on our approved supplier list? Are they required to be ISO certified?
No.

Automatic gaging systems are capital purchases. Suppliers of capital equipment are not covered under 7.4, if they were, you will need to put all suppliers of all your machine tools, assembly line, robots, cranes, compressor, .... under the scanner. The list would never end. By some long stretched reasoning, even your compressor and your forklift in some way would affect your product quality.

For capital purchases, a one time assessment of the supplier being able to meet your requirements is good enough. How did you arrive at your requirements? Thats a separate question bordering on the APQP territory. Nothing to do with 7.4

If the supplier under question is providing you regular supplies of any of the consumables relationg to the equipment, calibration services etc, then he needs to meet all requirements of the standard for that scope of supply.

Else, forget him, and the likes of him.
  Post Number #5  
Old 18th August 2007, 07:21 AM
Helmut Jilling

Total Posts: 4,366
Re: Company that Supplies our Automatic Gaging Systems on Approved Supplier List

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by harry View Post

My answer to the first part of your question is 'YES' because gaging is an important/critical part of your process.

If you are TS certified then as a minimum, they need to be ISO 9001 certified.

Lets hear from other 'Covers'.

I just read Cl 7.4 again, in ISO and TS. It does not directly address suppliers outside of the product chain, although TS hints at it in Note 1.

I think Harry's answer is too strong. But I would lena in that direction. For the good of the organization, obviously there should be some review and consideration of at least the principles of cl 7.4.

I think Potdar's comment is too weak. I would completely ignore cl 7.4 altogether. I encourage my clients to give some consideration to supporting services in their purchasing procedures.
  Post Number #6  
Old 18th August 2007, 09:42 AM
Stijloor

Total Posts: 15,244

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by zzz123 View Post

Hello zzz123,

Even though you may decide not to include them on your approved supplier list, they in fact have already been approved by your company as part of the initial identification, selection, and approval prior to the actual purchase of the automatic gaging equipment. They may be contractually obligated to provide installation, testing, training and maintenance services. In addition, you may consider them for future purchases..so what's against adding them to your roster of approved suppliers? It makes business sense to me.

ISO 9001:2000 certification required? No, not unless you want them to be. Beware that ISO/TS is a little more "pickier" in this area.

My view is that anything and anybody that impacts your process and your ability to meet customer requirements should be "kept an eye on." Whether you call that an approved supplier or otherwise, is your choice.

Smart companies classify their suppliers in terms of direct impact on the process and product. Some use 3 levels, some use 4. Your choice. Each level has its own evaluation and monitoring/feedback criteria. That prevents you from monitoring all suppliers the same, thus overkill.

It's all part of supplier development. A very worthwhile process with tremendous mutual benefits.

Just some "food for thought."

Stijloor.
  Post Number #7  
Old 18th August 2007, 10:48 AM
harry

Total Posts: 6,290

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by hjilling View Post

I just read Cl 7.4 again, in ISO and TS. It does not directly address suppliers outside of the product chain, although TS hints at it in Note 1.

I think Harry's answer is too strong. But I would lena in that direction. For the good of the organization, obviously there should be some review and consideration of at least the principles of cl 7.4.

I think Potdar's comment is too weak. I would completely ignore cl 7.4 altogether. I encourage my clients to give some consideration to supporting services in their purchasing procedures.
I based my comment on my experience where a contract of service for providing maintenance and support services such as software update and upgrade were included. But after having read the other posts, I do see their point of view.

I agree with your assessment and also Stijloor's comment.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >