The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

IATF 16949 6.1.2.3(e) Contingency Plan Testing - Page 3

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
contingency plans, iatf 16949:2016

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #17  
Old 14th February 2018, 05:05 PM
cbhigdon3

Total Posts: 16
Re: IATF 16949 6.1.2.3(e) Contingency Plan Testing

One option is to simulate the potential contingency plan and all of the associated actions. As an example, you could have data on the financial impact to your organization and to the customer of trucking the work to a different location, the impact to lead time, the notification and escalation protocols within the company, the notification protocols at the customer and to other "interested parties" and then have a customer representative sign off on this as being acceptable.

In our case, we process engine blocks for a major OEM program, so shutting off our process to actually test the contingency plan and truck work to the backup plant several hours away isn't a feasible option (without making our customer really angry). So we came up with a financial impact model that highlights just how much of a hit we'd take, put together a model for emergency trucking, developed a customer notification protocol, and established our own internal escalation plan. This was put into a file and then shared (minus financial modeling) with our customer. Our leadership has reviewed all of the data and signed it (as part of our annual review of the plan per our internal procedure). And, our customer has signed off on it indicating that they know we have a plan.

When we went through our IATF audit last month, our CB said it was fine.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #18  
Old 15th February 2018, 10:43 AM
Scanton

Total Posts: 58

We also went the simulation route:

One simulation was that one of the Toughbooks (laptops) used from programming our machines had a hard drive failure so the data was corrupted and we couldn’t program certain machines. We simulated that the setter discovered this as he was about to program said machine for a new order.
We recorded a timeline of events as we followed our procedures, and collect evidence of each task as we went along. Long story short, from start to finish it took less than two hours to get the laptop back up and running and ready to use.

The evidence included screen grabs of the back-ups, a record of who did what and when, the receipt from a local retailer for a hard drive, the old hard drive and even pictorial evidence of me cloning the new hard drive from the back up and installing the new hard drive, and the setter using the reinstalled Toughbook to program his machine.

I think as long as the simulation is as close to reflecting real life failures and events are recorded in real time, the evidence will prove if the contingency plan works or not. We made sure that Toughbook was not going to be needed on the day of the simulation. If it was, I would have stopped at the successful cloning of the hard drive from back up, which was surprisingly quick and easy.

And before anyone asks, No. No programming takes place at night, at the weekends or on bank holidays :-)

Our CB auditor reviewed our simulations and said that the requirements of this clause had been met.
  Post Number #19  
Old 15th February 2018, 11:25 AM
Brizilla

Total Posts: 211

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by joekirk View Post

Some are easy to do and probably is already done by your company such as fire drill, earthquake drill, violent person in the workplace, first aid drill, chem spill drill and others can be addressed through table talks on things you cannot simulate.
I've worked in Mfg. all my life and the only drill we've ever been through is a fire drill. So, I would suggest "probably already done by your company" isn't as valid as you might think. Of course that's only 9 or 10 companies but still...
  Post Number #20  
Old 15th February 2018, 11:43 AM
KimGr

Total Posts: 7

We are using the contingency plan as impact not specifically involving safety and using the EAP as a separate document. The subject matter, like fire, chemical spill, etc. is on both documents. EAP for safety. Once the employees are safe we move to the contingency plan for things like no production, missed work, environmental impact.
  Post Number #21  
Old 15th February 2018, 11:50 AM
KimGr

Total Posts: 7

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by K. Lawrence View Post

Is anyone differentiating between Contingency Planning and Emergency Action Planning? It seems like many companies are combining the two. My read is Contingency Planning is more for continuity of business while Emergency Planning is reaction to life and death issues, natural disasters and environmental hazards. I'd appreciate anyone's feedback.
We are using the contingency plan as impact not specifically involving safety and using the EAP as a separate document. The subject matter, like fire, chemical spill, etc. is on both documents. EAP for safety. Once the employees are safe we move to the contingency plan for things like no production, missed work, environmental impact.
  Post Number #22  
Old 15th February 2018, 12:33 PM
Sebastian

Total Posts: 307

Testing of contingency plan starts from documenting contingency plan. When it is described in detailed manner, it is easier to develop and conduct testing. Especially when we want to do it in a reproducible way. When it is vague, it is up to contingency plan author's imagination, how to do it.
Maybe someone would share with us both elements, plan and testing evidence. Unfortunately I can't.
  Post Number #23  
Old 19th June 2018, 11:24 AM
darkmago

Total Posts: 2

I received a Non-conformance regarding this, we have been doing testing or simulation of almost everything. But the most difficult we find is Labour shortages, pretending people do not come to work. Any help on this? I am really worried about it.
  Post Number #24  
Old 19th June 2018, 01:12 PM
Golfman25

Total Posts: 1,465

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by darkmago View Post

I received a Non-conformance regarding this, we have been doing testing or simulation of almost everything. But the most difficult we find is Labour shortages, pretending people do not come to work. Any help on this? I am really worried about it.
I have no idea how you would effectively test "calling in a person from the other shift" without actually doing it. Do you have any experiences when you used a person on another shift to cover for someone? Maybe you can use that as "evidence" you plan could work. Or maybe a confirmation that you have the proper contact information to get in touch with the other people? But I'm sure this will make your company so much better. Good luck.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >