Elsmar Cove Quality DiscussionsAll Measurements taken with a Variable Gage have to be Recorded 100%The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
All Measurements taken with a Variable Gage have to be Recorded 100%
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
iatf 16949:2016, measurement (general), variables data

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 8th February 2017, 05:04 PM
BHobbs_Busche

Total Posts: 5
Question All Measurements taken with a Variable Gage have to be Recorded 100%

I've not yet had time to complete a gap analysis for transition to IATF from TS - I am transitioning summer 2018.
Someone from management asked me today about a "rumor" they heard. The rumor was that any/all measurements taken with a variable gage have to be recorded 100% once we are under the IATF standard. I find this hard to believe, but can anyone at least guess what FACTS this confusion may have come from? TIA!

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 9th February 2017, 02:40 PM
Peters

Total Posts: 316
Re: All Measurements taken with a Variable Gage have to be Recorded 100%

If record is required.
If required - digits are needed.
If not required - no record and no problem.

9.1.1.1 Monitoring and measurement of manufacturing processes
d) records of actual measurement values and/or test results for variable data;
Thanks to Peters for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #3  
Old 23rd February 2017, 12:59 PM
joekirk

Total Posts: 15

When you are recording variable data, you are now required to record the actual value.
What is not acceptable is just a checkmark (yes we tested).
Thanks to joekirk for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #4  
Old 23rd February 2017, 04:16 PM
BHobbs_Busche

Total Posts: 5

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by joekirk View Post

When you are recording variable data, you are now required to record the actual value.
What is not acceptable is just a checkmark (yes we tested).
Ok that makes a little more sense I think, if I understand you correctly. It sounds like you're saying that wherever there are special characteristics or that otherwise require SPC using variable gages, we just can't have a sheet out there to record GO/NG - that we have to record actual result. I don't know how anyone could say they were doing SPC if all they did was record accept/reject, so actual readings is of course what we're already doing. What had people nervous was the thought that we had to start recording every variable measurement we do, regardless if special characteristic or otherwise required by customer. So does it apply like I'm saying here, or is it truly that every variable measurement has to be recorded?
  Post Number #5  
Old 23rd February 2017, 04:30 PM
Golfman25

Total Posts: 1,216

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by BHobbs_Busche View Post

Ok that makes a little more sense I think, if I understand you correctly. It sounds like you're saying that wherever there are special characteristics or that otherwise require SPC using variable gages, we just can't have a sheet out there to record GO/NG - that we have to record actual result. I don't know how anyone could say they were doing SPC if all they did was record accept/reject, so actual readings is of course what we're already doing. What had people nervous was the thought that we had to start recording every variable measurement we do, regardless if special characteristic or otherwise required by customer. So does it apply like I'm saying here, or is it truly that every variable measurement has to be recorded?
According to the verbage, if you measure it you need to record the actual measured value. So it doesn't deal with only SPC. There may be non-spc measurements you take that need to be recorded. So if it's burdensome, you'll likely review everything to see if it makes sense to measure it any longer.
  Post Number #6  
Old 13th November 2017, 02:02 PM
JamesHawes

Total Posts: 2

We have just completed the IATF transition audit with 0 Majors and 8 minors. One of our minors was on this topic. We have gages that we zero to a master ( the master is the nominal spec) and the operator writes how far they are from zero which would be measuring to the tolerance. ex. 25.125 +-.125 spec, the operator would write +.023 or whatever value would be. The auditor finding was they had to write it as 25.148 not +.023. How does everyone else interpret this?
  Post Number #7  
Old 13th November 2017, 03:21 PM
Golfman25

Total Posts: 1,216

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by JamesHawes View Post

We have just completed the IATF transition audit with 0 Majors and 8 minors. One of our minors was on this topic. We have gages that we zero to a master ( the master is the nominal spec) and the operator writes how far they are from zero which would be measuring to the tolerance. ex. 25.125 +-.125 spec, the operator would write +.023 or whatever value would be. The auditor finding was they had to write it as 25.148 not +.023. How does everyone else interpret this?
Your auditor sounds like a tool. You recorded the actual value. You didn't do the math. I would push back on that one. What BS. I think the requirement was to get away from ok, or check. Stuff like that. Good luck.
  Post Number #8  
Old 14th November 2017, 02:08 PM
Peters

Total Posts: 316

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by JamesHawes View Post

One of our minors was on this topic. The auditor finding was they had to write it as 25.148 not +.023.
Strange "nc". In my opinion if tolerance "for operator" is 0 +/-0.125 he can record +0.023

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >