IATF 16949 Product Safety
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

IATF 16949 Product Safety - Page 2

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
dfmea (design fmea), iatf 16949:2016, procedure examples, product safety

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #9  
Old 6th November 2017, 11:13 AM
cpearison

Total Posts: 12
Re: IATF 16949 Product Safety

Copy of Procedure_Managment of Product Safety.xls

Copy of Identification of Product Safety Other Requi.xlsx

Product Safety Questionnaire.pdf

Hey JJ,

We do not design in our facility. I have a couple of "example" forms that may will get you going in the right direction. Our facility is a small manufacturer, as well.

Give these a look see. As they said, procedure not required.

Good luck in your endeavors!
Thank You to cpearison for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #10  
Old 16th February 2018, 10:58 AM
Ripitup65

Total Posts: 10

Procedure for 'Product Safety' may not be a requirement, but having a documented 'Product Safety' process is a mandatory requirement. I'm looking to have it documented in a Turtle Diagram.
Thanks to Ripitup65 for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #11  
Old 21st February 2018, 07:37 PM
boxer12

Total Posts: 4

Just today....I completed a 2-day training course for "Product Safety Officer". This requirement is mandatory for suppliers to VW and BMW, and soon Mercedes (based on VDA system). This was a very unsettling course, as the main goal is to identify risks and liabilities regarding the products you make. Our society is litigation-crazy, and greedy....and many people are just looking for any reason to take a company to court and get a bunch of money.

Example: Some years ago I worked at a top level brake manufacturer. Once at a car cruise I saw someone with what appeared to be our brake calipers on their car - but I could tell that we didn't make them. I looked closer and saw that there were simply plastic covers over the original calipers with our Logo on them. I found these plastic covers for sale on the internet from sellers in China (no surprise). Well these plastic covers didn't allow the stock breaks to ventilate - so they overheated, this eventually caused an accident. The stupid driver hired a lawyer and filed a suit against our company. This was totally absurd, but the case went to court and our company had to pay. Our company was charged to be "at fault" because they didn't try to stop the counterfeit parts from being manufactured, nor did they issue any kind of public warning about these fake calipers.

NOTE: These lawyers will go where the money is. Even though our company didn't have anything to do with these fake caliper covers, we were legally accessible (in the USA) and had more money than some nut in China making these fakes. So - we all need to realize that this world isn't fair. We also need to realize that ambulance-chasing lawyers will take on any case if they think they can make a buck.

I have been in the automotive supplier sector for over 35 years, my current role is quality manager - I was "volunteered" to take on the role of Product Safety Representative by management. But what I learned today has me considering a different line of work.
Thanks to boxer12 for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #12  
Old 26th February 2018, 12:37 PM
Marc

Total Posts: 26,591

As a thought about lawyers - It's also the judges that go along with garbage complaints. Believe me - I know.
  Post Number #13  
Old 14th May 2018, 10:43 AM
lmamao

Total Posts: 27

I had a similar problem, our product is not consider a safety related product by our customer, the way that I dealt with it is by mentioning in the quality manual by saying that our customer has not classified out product as ...., our legal department constantly reviews requirements, etc., if any product safety requirement should arise it would be documented in the FMEA and PCP.

The auditor didn't say or ask anything, let me just add that we are remanufactures.
Thanks to lmamao for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #14  
Old 14th May 2018, 03:59 PM
AndyN

Total Posts: 9,029
Let Me Help You Re: IATF 16949 Product Safety

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by jpj1474 View Post

Hello,

I am new at creating documents and Iam very lost. We are being audited to the new standard and we do not have a Product Safety procedure written. Because of the nature of our business, we do not have any products that fall in this category at the moment. Does anyone have a procedure we could use and modify?

Best,
JJ
You don't need another procedure. You already (should) have plenty of existing procedures which can be modified to suit. The first place you should determine if the product is safety related is: in preparing a quote. Most organizations wouldn't like to unknowingly enter into an arrangement with a client not knowing if the product is safety-related. So, why not simple add a question to your quoting checklist (or whatever) and ask the customer to confirm.

The rest is handled through DFMEA and PFMEA which are part of APQP and an existing procedure. Job done.
Thanks to AndyN for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >