The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Sorting Supplier Requirements - IATF 16949 Cl. 8.4.2.3

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
iatf 16949:2016, sorting out nonconforming material or goods

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 5th March 2018, 04:22 PM
Hendor

Total Posts: 20
Please Help! Sorting Supplier Requirements - IATF 16949 Cl. 8.4.2.3

Hi.
To supplier of sorting, it must be required that this certificate with ISO 9001?

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 5th March 2018, 04:25 PM
Marc

Total Posts: 26,672
re: Sorting Supplier Requirements - IATF 16949 Cl. 8.4.2.3

Is this in reference to IATF 16949 requirements?
  Post Number #3  
Old 5th March 2018, 04:58 PM
Hendor

Total Posts: 20
Re: Sorting Supplier Requirements - IATF 16949 Cl. 8.4.2.3

Yes by IATF, we currently have suppliers sorting , and do not have ISO 9001 certificates, then we should develop their quality system?

thank you
  Post Number #4  
Old 5th March 2018, 08:28 PM
Golfman25

Total Posts: 1,464

Yes I believe sorting vendors would be subject to supplier development. Check the standard language. It may even mention them as being included - I can't recall right now.
  Post Number #5  
Old 13th March 2018, 07:38 PM
Marc

The key here is the definition of "supplier development". There is a wide range of things which can be considered supplier development, some quite limited and some quite extensive. For a sorting company I would think it would be a small "project", so to speak, and I'm not sure it would be required. Usually sorting is relatively rare so an expensive, exhaustive supplier development program/effort wouldn't be of value unless you used them extensively, frequently, and if it is related to a safety item (such as airbags) critical to safety.
  Post Number #6  
Old 13th March 2018, 08:36 PM
Golfman25

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Marc View Post

The key here is the definition of "supplier development". There is a wide range of things which can be considered supplier development, some quite limited and some quite extensive. For a sorting company I would think it would be a small "project", so to speak, and I'm not sure it would be required. Usually sorting is relatively rare so an expensive, exhaustive supplier development program/effort wouldn't be of value unless you used them extensively, frequently, and if it is related to a safety item (such as airbags) critical to safety.
IATF is pretty clear about the development of suppliers from no QMS to full IATF certification.
  Post Number #7  
Old 13th March 2018, 09:52 PM
Marc

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Golfman25 View Post

IATF is pretty clear about the development of suppliers from no QMS to full IATF certification.
Please cite the requirement(s) from the standard or sanctioned interpretations.

It is certainly NOT the requirement that all suppliers must be "developed". Consider how much that would cost. It isn't realistic.

I first got into which suppliers have to be "developed" back in the 1990's and I don't think anything has significantly changed. In addition, I have gotten a number of companies tier 2 and below to successfully only be required ISO9001 rather than full blown TS 16949, and QS 9000 before that.

I have also been involved with sort projects where the company doing the sorting wasn't even ISO 9001 (admittedly some years ago).

Also see:

Supplier Development Requirements - TS 16949

Supplier Development - TS 16949 Flow Down Requirements - Tier 2 Supplier

You may find some more specific supplier development requirements in customer specific requirements such as http://www.iatfglobaloversight.org/w...ec.-2016-1.pdf
  Post Number #8  
Old 13th March 2018, 11:23 PM
Golfman25

So start with 8.4.1.1 which requires the definition of externally provided products, processes, and services to include sorting, among others.

8.4.2.3 requires those suppliers to develop, implement and improve a QMS certified to ISO, unless otherwise authorized by the customer, with the ultimate objective of becoming IATF certified. It then lists several steps, such as min. Automotive supplier criteria, compliance wit IATF, etc.

So in response to Hender's question, their sorting suppliers should be ISO or at least working toward it and eventually toward IATF.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >