Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

IATF 16949 certification rules

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
certifications (to a standard), iatf 16949:2016

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 17th April 2018, 08:52 AM
rviso

Total Posts: 3
Question IATF 16949 certification rules

Hello everybody

this is my experience: my company produces components for industrial market (material handling). Most of them are big industrial machines manufacturers. Their requirements are very similar to IATF ones. Some of them have also automotive division. If we get this certification we could enter into automotive division business.

CEO decided to develop a QMS based on IATF and certified it. Who can consider as an automotive customer (necessary for getting IATF certification)?
5th rules talking about "letter of conformance" I'm not sure this is the case

thanks in advance for your experience

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 17th April 2018, 10:16 AM
Golfman25

Total Posts: 1,376
Re: IATF 16949 certification rules

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by rviso View Post

Hello everybody
this is my experience: my company produces components for industrial market (material handling). Most of them are big industrial machines manufacturers. Their requirements are very similar to IATF ones. Some of them have also automotive division. If we get this certification we could enter into automotive division business.
CEO decided to develop a QMS based on IATF and certified it. Who can consider as an automotive customer (necessary for getting IATF certification)?

A good question for your registrar. Sounds like it will be really specific to your products and situation. If your products don't go into the automotive supply chain, I am not sure you're eligible.
Thanks to Golfman25 for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #3  
Old 17th April 2018, 11:41 AM
Scanton

Total Posts: 46

My understanding is much the same, your company needs to be making something for the automotive industry in order to satisfy the requirements of the IATF16949 automotive QMS standard. Our CB auditors focus on automotive products and associated processes when they are auditing against IATF16949.
Thanks to Scanton for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #4  
Old 17th April 2018, 01:32 PM
jack770214

Total Posts: 21

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by rviso View Post

Hello everybody

If you do not produce a component that goes into an automobile but have plans to in the future then become or stay certified to ISO9001: 2015 and become compliant to IATF16949. You can ask your registrar to perform compliance but not certification audits and proclaim self complaince to IATF until you have an automotive application for your product being sold. I have seen some registrars bend the rules as long as you can show contracts for future sales to an automotive customer.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
Thanks to jack770214 for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #5  
Old 17th April 2018, 04:58 PM
jfries2

Total Posts: 28

IATF 16949 Rules book 5th edition states the following in section 1.0, page 6 -

"Only manufacturing sites where production, service parts, and/or accessory parts that shall be mechanically attached or electrically connected to the vehicle are manufacturing and supplied to automotive customers are eligible for IATF 16949 certification."

Clearly you cannot obtain certification, but as suggested, consult with your registrar about a compliance audit.
Thank You to jfries2 for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #6  
Old 20th April 2018, 07:31 AM
Howard Atkins

Total Posts: 2,976

from the rules

Quote:
5.14 Letter of conformance
The purpose of the letter of conformance is to confirm that processes exist that satisfy the requirements of IATF 16949 and these “Rules” and where the client is not able to achieve IATF 16949 certification because of:
a} a new site without twelve {12} months of internal or external performance data for the automotive production and/or service parts in the scope of certification;
b} an existing site that can demonstrate it is on an active bid list for a customer requiring IATF 16949 certification or compliance.
Thanks to Howard Atkins for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >