Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Books On Receiving Gauges

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 21st September 2006, 10:02 AM
quality.shesha

Total Posts: 116
Please Help! Books On Receiving Gauges

I was interested in knowing whether are there are any books on designing receiving gauges/acceptance gauges...till today I have not come across any finding for this

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 21st September 2006, 10:09 AM
BradM

Total Posts: 6,002
Re: Books On Receiving Gauges

Hello Shesha!

What kind of information are you trying to find? It seems that receiving/acceptance of gauges should be fairly fundamental, and should probably already have some information in your own procedures.

Are these gauges new to your process? Are you new to the process? Are these specialty gauges?

If you get a chance and can provide a little more detailed about your product/industry, it would be greatly appreciated!
  Post Number #3  
Old 21st September 2006, 10:16 AM
quality.shesha

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by BradM View Post

Hello Shesha!

What kind of information are you trying to find? It seems that receiving/acceptance of gauges should be fairly fundamental, and should probably already have some information in your own procedures.

Are these gauges new to your process? Are you new to the process? Are these specialty gauges?

If you get a chance and can provide a little more detailed about your product/industry, it would be greatly appreciated!
As of now we do not have any procedures for that.
I am basically looking for, to know how a Receving Gauge need to be manufactured. The gauges are new to the process as the product is a development part in our organisation. I am not new to the process and these will be no doubt speciality gauges.

We have a non-ferrous foundry and a full fledge shop floor and supplying for major automotive manufacturers and electical in India and abroad.
  Post Number #4  
Old 21st September 2006, 10:35 AM
Jim Wynne

Total Posts: 14,191

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by quality.shesha View Post

As of now we do not have any procedures for that.
I am basically looking for, to know how a Receving Gauge need to be manufactured. The gauges are new to the process as the product is a development part in our organisation. I am not new to the process and these will be no doubt speciality gauges.

We have a non-ferrous foundry and a full fledge shop floor and supplying for major automotive manufacturers and electical in India and abroad.
I know that GM used to have a comprehensive standard for gage design, and they probably still do, but I have no access to it or recollection of what it was called. Perhaps someone here who's doing business with them (or some other OEM with a similar document) can help. I did find this (PDF file)with the help of my good friend Mr. Google.
  Post Number #5  
Old 21st September 2006, 11:02 AM
quality.shesha

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Jim Wynne View Post

I know that GM used to have a comprehensive standard for gage design, and they probably still do, but I have no access to it or recollection of what it was called. Perhaps someone here who's doing business with them (or some other OEM with a similar document) can help. I did find this (PDF file)with the help of my good friend Mr. Google.
I am going thru this seems okay, but was looking for more than this.
I want it with an example. I did search the google but everything in vain...
We have castings and machined components(with some where around 50-60 dimensions) but I do not want for all the dimensions but will be surely looking to cover most of them.
  Post Number #6  
Old 21st September 2006, 11:09 AM
Jim Wynne

Quote:

I am going thru this seems okay, but was looking for more than this.
I want it with an example. I did search the google but everything in vain...
We have castings and machined components(with some where around 50-60 dimensions) but I do not want for all the dimensions but will be surely looking to cover most of them.
You're not going to be able to find a book that will tell you how to do the impossible (or at best, highly impractical). Dedicated fixtures/gages will be able to verify perhaps three or four characteristics, but not much more than that. If you want a hard fixture that will verify "most of" 50 dimensions, you need this guy to design it for you:

An alternative is some sort of laser scanning system, like this. The link is just an example, not a recommendation.
  Post Number #7  
Old 21st September 2006, 11:18 AM
quality.shesha

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Jim Wynne View Post

You're not going to be able to find a book that will tell you how to do the impossible (or at best, highly impractical). Dedicated fixtures/gages will be able to verify perhaps three or four characteristics, but not much more than that. If you want a hard fixture that will verify "most of" 50 dimensions, you need this guy to design it for you:

An alternative is some sort of laser scanning system, like this. The link is just an example, not a recommendation.
Sorry Jim,
I do not agree with you.
I am sure that we can very well measure more than 10dimensions in the receiving gauge. Because I our organisation we have used such type of gauges, but I do not know how to design that. I our org my Manufacturing Manager was doing this designing and this does very well.
  Post Number #8  
Old 21st September 2006, 11:28 AM
Jim Wynne

Quote:

Sorry Jim,
I do not agree with you.
I am sure that we can very well measure more than 10dimensions in the receiving gauge. Because I our organisation we have used such type of gauges, but I do not know how to design that. I our org my Manufacturing Manager was doing this designing and this does very well.
"More than 10" is different from saying "most of" 50-60.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >