AQL Sampling Plan SOP / WI - Medical Device Industry
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

AQL Sampling Plan SOP / WI - Medical Device Industry

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
ansi z1.4 - inspection by attributes, aql (acceptable quality level), medical device company or industry, sampling plans for attribute data, sop (standard operating procedure)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 7th September 2017, 04:18 PM
amanm

Total Posts: 3
Thank You! AQL Sampling Plan SOP / WI - Medical Device Industry

Hello everyone,

I work in the Medical Device Industry and we use the ANSI/ASQ Z1.4 Standards Inspection Sampling. We usually make components and also assemblies in batches / lot ranging from 200-50000 parts. I was creating a SOP document to help our QC personnel understand what is AQL Inspection and how many parts are needed to be tested and at what accept/reject ratio. If anyone of you could help me with a template for SOP Sampling Plan, I would highly appreciate.

Thank you. Have a wonderful day.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 7th September 2017, 04:32 PM
Eredhel

Total Posts: 273
re: AQL Sampling Plan SOP / WI - Medical Device Industry

Do you use job travelers/routers? Could you just put an inspection OP with the required number to check? Not sure if you need your inspectors to understand all the nuances of it or just know how many to grab.

Edit: Do you already have all the AQL charts?
  Post Number #3  
Old 7th September 2017, 04:37 PM
amanm

Yes we do use job travelers. I do not want it for the inspectors. So because some of us already knew how to use the AQL table and figure out the Sample Size, Ac/Rj ratio, we never created a SOP / WI. But now, we are planning on a FDA Inspection soon, so I would like that document to be written and controlled.
  Post Number #4  
Old 7th September 2017, 04:43 PM
Statistical Steven

Total Posts: 1,128

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by amanm View Post

I work in the Medical Device Industry and we use the ANSI/ASQ Z1.4 Standards Inspection Sampling. We usually make components and also assemblies in batches / lot ranging from 200-50000 parts. I was creating a SOP document to help our QC personnel understand what is AQL Inspection and how many parts are needed to be tested and at what accept/reject ratio.
If you work in the Medical Device industry then Z1.4 is the incorrect methodology for sampling. Look into LQ based sampling strategies.
Thanks to Statistical Steven for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #5  
Old 3rd November 2017, 09:45 AM
Romvill2002

Total Posts: 34
Re: AQL Sampling Plan SOP / WI - Medical Device Industry

Hello All, I need your help. I was working on validating a new component - pressure switch for a medical device that runs fluidic sampling of cells. Anyway, my sample size was 10 with ten repetitions. 9 out of 10 passed the test. Should i fail the entire validation protocol?
  Post Number #6  
Old 3rd November 2017, 10:12 AM
Ajit Basrur

Total Posts: 6,214

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Statistical Steven View Post

If you work in the Medical Device industry then Z1.4 is the incorrect methodology for sampling. Look into LQ based sampling strategies.
Steven, just curious why would you say it as "incorrect". The ANSI / ASQ Z1.4 is one of the Recognized Consensus Standards.

Thanks!
  Post Number #7  
Old 3rd November 2017, 10:22 AM
amanm

Even I wanted to know the same. But I was more interested to get an answer to my question rather starting a whole new discussion.
  Post Number #8  
Old 3rd November 2017, 12:15 PM
Proud Liberal

Total Posts: 158

I don't have any experience with the Medical Device Industry, so I don't know if this even applies to your situation. Here is a re-print of something I had posted here under a different thread.

NOTE: see attachment "OC Curves (Grant & Leavenworth, Statistical Quality Control, 5th edition).pdf" in my original post "How to Mathemetically Derive the AQL Tables given Lot Sizes".
I've always avoided using lot sizes based on the section in Grant & Leavenworth's Statistical Quality Control "Fixed Sample Size Tends Toward Constant Quality Protection" (see figures 12-1 and 12-2 in attached excerpt). This greatly simplifies incoming inspection and eliminates "games" being played with lot sizes to effect sample sizes.

Instead, I generate a AOQL plot of the sampling plan (in automotive, it is mandated that c=0) and use the maximum value to determine the worst case condition that my customer should expect (ie: n=35, c=0 yields approx 1% max value).

Last edited by Proud Liberal; 3rd November 2017 at 04:53 PM. Reason: uploaded reference to attachment from different post
Thanks to Proud Liberal for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >