Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Zeiss CMM Calypso output to Excel or CSV file Help

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
cmm (coordinate measuring machine), data (import from and export to applications), microsoft excel .xls .xlsx spreadsheet

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 18th October 2017, 05:49 PM
Brad Gover

Total Posts: 41
Please Help! Zeiss CMM Calypso output to Excel or CSV file Help

Hi all. I am oh so glad this forum is up again! Anyways I am trying to get a Zeiss CMM using Calypso software to out put measurement data to an excel or CSV file so I can upload it into an SPC program. I have done this before on Mitutoyo CMMs and Brown-n-Sharp CMMs. All the programmer needed to do was to edit the code and insert a couple of code lines in the program. Sure appreciate any help!

Regards,
Brad Gover

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 19th October 2017, 09:07 AM
Eredhel

Total Posts: 273
Re: Zeiss CMM Calypso output to Excel or CSV file Help

We've got a couple Zeiss CMMs. Would you mind letting me know what you're trying to do in the end? I have all our inspection results automatically, a little bit of coding, save to a server folder by J# and inside that named by part # drawing # and incremental part #. But so far I haven't needed anything in excel.
  Post Number #3  
Old 19th October 2017, 09:44 AM
Eredhel

Ah, SPC, sorry about that! You might check your Measurement Tab, Multiple Printout, and then look toward the bottom where excel is listed. This is an odd area where you can choose different report outputs. We use PiWeb for our SPC and I encourage you to look at it if you're going to use Calypso long term. You can also go into Resources and Results to File for other options.
  Post Number #4  
Old 19th October 2017, 11:25 AM
Brad Gover

Total Posts: 41

Thank you Eredhel. Yes I am trying to output the measured data and a few descriptors like you did...Machine #, Part #, Operator, and Print #. Ideally when I outputted this data on a Mitutoyo and Brown-n-Sharp, the CMM's program would Open a file (CSV or Text), amend the data already in the file, and then close the file prior to going to the next measurement. This was the easiest way to upload the data in an SPC program such as Infinity QS or SQC pack. I would prefer using a CSV or Text file format instead of Excel. You mentioned you have your inspection results automatically. You also mentioned a "little bit of coding" too. Would you be so kind as to show me what coding you need to perform and how you opened the editor to add specific coding? I am pretty nave as to how to write coding in Calypso.
Thanks a whole lot,

Brad Gover
  Post Number #5  
Old 19th October 2017, 12:27 PM
Eredhel

Yes you can have your results show up in several formats. I've accidentally gotten an old school text format . I'd experiment in the Measurement Tab's Multiple Printout area for sure. As well as the Resources to file section.

Since we use PiWeb I have some different options available so I may not be able to see the same things you do. PiWeb automates all the SPC, CPK, et cetera data collection, storage, and reports.

Do you have Zeiss care right now where you could call them? They'll find out your need and then have someone that knows the area call you back. Fee free to send me a PM and we can get together on the phone sometime to go over some stuff, probably way easier that way.

The code isn't too bad. You basically set a global thing. And then every program you write you have to point to that global selection. Under Resources, Name for output files, "...for all Measurement Plans" you choose the output file type from the drop down, check mark "Name of output file variable" and "Applies for all users" and then enter the code syntax (similar to the way formulas are handled in Result Elements.) Once you do that then every time you write a program you go to Name for output files, "... for this Measurement Plan" and then you just choose your file type from the drop down, check mark the boxes, and then it autofills your code for you (from the global setting.)

I don't think elsmar hosts pictures or I'd upload some, so a phone call might do better. It's super handy to have set up. When I check QA docs for shipping I can open a server folder and make sure CMM checks were done for the job without leaving my desk.

Here's a sample of the code that will automatically find, or create if not already there, a folder named by the job number, part number, and drawing number. Then inside that it will save the actual results by file name with part number, drawing number, job number, and incremental part number. You have to be sure your file type drop down is the same as what you choose when you run the program otherwise it won't save because it doesn't match:

Edit: Something in the way this forum works is messing up the actual code syntax. It won't let me put the \ where it needs to be in one area. I put it there and save but it omits it. So this syntax is actually incorrect. I could email it tho.

"Y:\CMM Reports"+getRecordHead("order")+" "+getRecordHead("planid")+""+getRecordHead("planid")+" "+getRecordHead("order")+" "+getRecordHead("partnbinc")+".pdf"

I may have some typos in there that but that's the idea.

Last edited by Eredhel; 19th October 2017 at 02:50 PM.
Thanks to Eredhel for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #6  
Old 19th October 2017, 12:42 PM
howste

Total Posts: 5,061

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Eredhel View Post

I don't think elsmar hosts pictures or I'd upload some...
You can attach photos to posts, just not in the quick reply box. In the Reply to Thread window click on the Manage Attachments button. It will give you options to upload photos in various formats.
Attached Thumbnails
Zeiss CMM Calypso output to Excel or CSV file Help-elsmar-attachments-png  
Thanks to howste for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #7  
Old 13th June 2018, 10:50 AM
mr500

Total Posts: 7

I know this is an OLD thread but..... I have a program that runs in the back ground that will do just what you are asking. Can be set up to auto open the spreadsheet after the run with results. Also has some spc wrapped up in it but I do not use it much for that. I got it from one of my Calypso training classes from Ryan.

I can get it to you if you want. Its helped me tons. But we will soon be on the new PiWeb 2018 so I do not know how much I will use it then. As long as table files still work this should to. Let me know

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >