The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Audit Findings - Refusing outside audit findings

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
audits and auditing, audit nonconformances and findings

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 9th March 2010, 01:41 PM
wes77

Total Posts: 20
Please Help! Audit Findings - Refusing outside audit findings

If you found a deficiency with a company during an audit regarding CAPAs, the company says it was of an older CAPA system. The issue has been addressed by updating the system.

The company made the statement after the audit report was written, and there was no mentioning of this during the audit.

Can the company decline this finding?

Is the company responsible for addressing past deficiencies retrospective to the changes of the CAPA system?

What is the general consensus of refusing outside audit findings? I have never experienced this before.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 9th March 2010, 01:51 PM
Sidney Vianna

Total Posts: 9,319
Re: Audit findings

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by wes77 View Post

If you found a deficiency with a company during an audit regarding CAPAs, the company says it was of an older CAPA system. The issue has been addressed by updating the system.

The company made the statement after the audit report was written, and there was no mentioning of this during the audit.

Is the company responsible for addressing past deficiencies retrospective to the changes of the CAPA system?

What is the general consensus of refusing outside audit findings? I have never experienced this before.
Just another example of games that some registrants want to play to get to the certificate as soon as possible. If the non-conformities found earlier were valid, it is inconsequential what “CA/PA” system the organization uses to resolve them.
If we were to accept this excuse rationale as valid, the registrant would soon learn that they can get “away with murder” if they “claim” that new processes, procedures and systems have been recently implemented, conveniently in close proximity with an external audit.
Shameless in my opinion. And, the worse part is to realize that some CB/auditors would accept this
Thank You to Sidney Vianna for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #3  
Old 9th March 2010, 02:03 PM
JRKH

Total Posts: 972
Re: Audit findings

Quote:

Difficult question.
It might depend on when this audit was performed (registration audit of a new system)
The type of audit. (internal or external)
The reason for the audit. etc.

It might also depend on the scope of the problem.
I recall having to deal with such an issue years ago where we had about 1000customer supplied drawings in file cabinets - some used regularly and some rarely if at all. As we prepared for registration, we did not wish to have these drawings questioned as to contract review, current revision etc.
Our solution was to aquire two new file cabinets and move the Old cabinets to another location. Then, if and when an order came in for the part, the drawing could be gotten reviewed and filed in the new system.
Could you imagine the headache if we tried to review all of the drawings just to "retroactively addressing" these drawings due to a substandard process?
(Note - When I left the company about 2 years after registration, fewer than 25% of the drawings from the old files had been moved.)

So anyway - If you are concerned about this response, you might ask for further details.

Peace
James
Thanks to JRKH for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #4  
Old 9th March 2010, 02:30 PM
wes77

Re: Audit Findings - Refusing outside audit findings

this was a external audit of a sister company in Europe.
  Post Number #5  
Old 9th March 2010, 02:49 PM
Jim Wynne

Total Posts: 14,228

Quote:

Quote:

this was a external audit of a sister company in Europe.
It's not clear to me what the finding was about. Was there something wrong with the CA system itself, or with a particular NC that wasn't properly addressed? If the former is the case, and the system has been improved such that it conforms to requirements, I might protest the finding (depending on other circumstances not in evidence at this point). If there was a nonconformity that wasn't properly addressed due to the deficiency of the system, and it still hasn't been properly addressed, there's cause for concern.

Whether or not your sister company "accepts" your findings is an internal matter. I assume that your description of the company as a "sister" means that the company and whomever it is that you work for (directly) are subsidiaries of some larger entity, one that has developed a scheme of subsidiaries auditing one another. That scheme should include methods for refereeing when necessary. If it doesn't, you should report the findings (and the auditee's disagreement) to some higher authority for mediation.
Thank You to Jim Wynne for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #6  
Old 9th March 2010, 05:11 PM
Bruser

Total Posts: 16

Why fight the battle unless someones performance is measured by the number of nonconformances in an audit.

Take the n/c, use the "new CA system" to document it and provide corrective action with implementation dates and submit for closure. Next audit if they are doing what they say it will be evident
Thank You to Bruser for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #7  
Old 9th March 2010, 05:23 PM
LSS Master

Total Posts: n/a

I agree with Bruser. If the issue is really resolved, it will not reappear during the next audit. If not, it will reappear, especially if you note it in your audit report, which you should review prior to performing the next audit.

The strength of the audit system is its cyclic method. If you miss a n/c during an audit, it will surely appear again during a future audit.
  Post Number #8  
Old 9th March 2010, 07:49 PM
wes77

THe issue was not verifying effectiveness of CAPA.
The procedure was marginal in describing how to verify effectiveness of CAPA.

In the CAPA shown to me, there was no verification of the CAPA just implementation of the CAPA. It was also not explained to me the CAPA shown was of a older system.

From that, my determination was CAPA system needs improvement since there is no verificaiton of effectiveness.

Is my finding still valid after their comments of CAPA being of an older system?

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >