The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Gamma Validation vs. Quarterly Dose Audit Differences
Please read this thread...
Software update
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
definitions, dose audit, validation (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 24th January 2013, 07:29 PM
Nash27

Total Posts: 63
Please Help! Gamma Validation vs. Quarterly Dose Audit Differences

Can anyone define difference between Gamma Validation and dose audits

We have just completed/about to complete Gamma Validation including Bioburden determination, Dose verification, Sterility test and Dose Mapping (in progress) using the VD max25 method

What is the frequency for dose audits using VD max25 method:

1. Do I need to perform whole gamma validation exercise for every three months, which means Bioburden determination, dose verification and sterility test, dose mapping

or

I can just do bio-burden determination of 10 samples and sterility test for 10 samples every three months. Once I get enough history on bio-burden then I can perform Gamma Validation on annual basis.

or

I have to do bio-burden determination of 10 samples, dose verification of 10 samples and sterility test of the samples irradiated using verification dose

2. We have routine three month bio-burden monitoring program for other devices. (This product is not a family type product)
3. Average Bio-burden we determined for initial 3 batches is 50 CFU as part of this gamma validation exercise

4. VDmax25 method is choice of method as we will be manufacturing devices as per customer requirements for e.g. one batch in every 6 months

Sorry my questions sound bit confusing, as I am very much confused to get the basics clear

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 24th January 2013, 10:47 PM
Ronen E

Total Posts: 3,736
Re: Gamma Validation vs. Quarterly Dose Audit Differences

1. Are you working according to ISO 11137?

2. 50CFU is not overwhelming but it's also not too good. I would look at initiating a preventive action to see what can be done to lower it.

3. Apart from CFU count I'd also look at what sort of organisms are present. Some types call for action even at 1 digit counts. If you have spore-formers in your clean environment you will probably want to do something about it.

Cheers,
Ronen.
  Post Number #3  
Old 25th January 2013, 09:22 AM
pkost

Total Posts: 824

I wouldn't be overly concerned about the 50cfu as long as it under control....the VDmax25 method is suitable for up to 1000cfu. In fact having an overly low CFU makes it difficult to set warning/action limits and small changes may knock your validation out

From what I recall you will need to do VDmax validation and dose mapping initally, you then need to do a dose audit on a quarterly basis or batch basis (whichever is more appropraite). The dose audit is similar to the initial VDmax but just confirms the initial assumptions are still valid. After a suitable period of time you can drop down to annual dose audits

As a matter of routine I carried out bioburden on every batch, except when a dose audit was conducted as this will include bioburden analysis.

We never carried out sterility tests except as part of initial validation/dose audits.
Thank You to pkost for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #4  
Old 29th January 2013, 06:20 PM
Nash27

Total Posts: 63

Thanks pkost,

Our VDmax validation part is complete including dose mapping.

Now for next dose audit I need to perform following steps:

1. 10 samples irradiate at 8.8 kGy (Dose Verification)
2. Send these 10 samples for Sterility test
3. Verify the results

Can you recommend the above steps as part of the dose audit or correct me if I am wrong.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >