The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Cleaning plastic parts for sterilized medical devices

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
plastics, sterilization (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 11th July 2018, 04:58 AM
arbela

Total Posts: 13
Please Help! Cleaning plastic parts for sterilized medical devices

Hi all.
Does anyone know if using IPA 70% for cleaning a plastic, non-implantable device assembled in a class 8 clean room, a good enough? that is, can it remove dirt to a sufficient level that will allow sterilizing it, or should ultrasonic cleaning be applied? if there are any standards or guidances regarding cleaning of plastics, i would also appreciate references.
thank you :-)

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 11th July 2018, 06:38 AM
JoshuaFroud

Total Posts: 22
Re: Cleaning plastic parts for sterilized medical devices

Hi Arbela

I do not have much experience working with Clean rooms, however, I would suggest a question like that is only going to be able to be answered by some R&D/Validation work.

A 70% IPA solution may well be suitable but without the validation/verification work to demonstrate this, it will be hard/impossible to justify why the choice was made.

The background to why the selection was made and supporting evidence is almost more important than the final choice made (assuming the selection is fit for purpose).

Last edited by JoshuaFroud; 11th July 2018 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Edited due to my own awful formatting in the first attempt.
  Post Number #3  
Old 11th July 2018, 07:22 AM
arbela

thank you Joshua - that was precisely the point of my question. I do actually have experience both with plastics cleaning and with clean rooms, however cleaning processes I used previously involved more extensive cleaning than just IPA and I was wondering if others had experience or scientific-based knowledge that in some cases IPA would suffice. I prefer to know up front rather than enter a long and expensive process validation only to find out that it doesn't work...
so, if there's anybody out there...
  Post Number #4  
Old 11th July 2018, 07:39 AM
JoshuaFroud

Total Posts: 22

That is fair, I apologise, I did not read your post like that. I hope someone else will be able to help!
  Post Number #5  
Old 11th July 2018, 07:58 AM
ScottK

Total Posts: 2,760

I have used IPA in cleaning new sterilization trays prior to shipping to the customer in a non-clean room atmosphere. I was always acceptable to our customers - orthopedic mostly.
We did not use ultrasonic cleaning.
  Post Number #6  
Old 11th July 2018, 08:02 AM
arbela

great, thanks!
  Post Number #7  
Old 11th July 2018, 08:13 AM
chris1price

Total Posts: 259

Hi, In principle yes, IPA should be suitable and is commonly used; I have done so on numerous devices. IPA is only considered a low-level disinfectant, so will only give a few log reduction in bioburden. You should look at your bioburden before and after cleaning and if you are relying on the IPA, perform suitable validation.
Thanks to chris1price for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #8  
Old 11th July 2018, 08:29 AM
arbela

thanks. do you know if there is a difference if used for material sterilized with gamma rather than ETO?

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >