Environmental aspects in a bank
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
aspects and impacts (environmental)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 27th June 2018, 01:11 PM
Victoria M

Total Posts: 3
Please Help! Environmental aspects in a bank

Hi! I am wondering if you could help me determine if the following aspects should be included in the list for he activities of a Bank:
- Cleaning of water tanks (done by a third party every month)
- Fumigation (done by a third party every month)
I believe the answer is NO, but I just wanted a second opinion.

On the other hand, which system and metrics would you recommend to evaluate impacts. I am using: Risk * Consequence + Legal requeriment, but I am not sure if this is the best option and, what are the best values for each term.

Thanks a lot for your help!
Victoria

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 27th June 2018, 02:05 PM
John Broomfield

Total Posts: 2,609
Yin Yang Re: Environmental aspects in a bank

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Victoria M View Post

Hi! I am wondering if you could help me determine if the following aspects should be included in the list for he activities of a Bank:
- Cleaning of water tanks (done by a third party every month)
- Fumigation (done by a third party every month)
I believe the answer is NO, but I just wanted a second opinion.

On the other hand, which system and metrics would you recommend to evaluate impacts. I am using: Risk * Consequence + Legal requeriment, but I am not sure if this is the best option and, what are the best values for each term.

Thanks a lot for your help!
Victoria
Victoria,

How about frequency * consequence * ability to detect? Then what cannot be prevented can be made readily detectable to help manage the risk.

Environmental aspects that are subject to legal requirements usually end up being evaluated as significant so they attract the necessary controls for compliance.

Your organization is responsible for the work of its suppliers on the bank’s behalf. I cannot comment further on the aspects you’ve mentioned here but we may help more if we knew your reasons for deciding NO. Let us review your reasons.

Lastly, does the scope of your EMS include employees commuting and customers visiting your bank? Are you making your EMS part of your business management system along with IT security and its power consumption?

John
Thanks to John Broomfield for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #3  
Old 27th June 2018, 04:40 PM
Victoria M

Re: Environmental aspects in a bank

Hi John and thanks for your answer.

Regarding the question about fumigation and water tanks, I believe that, nevertheless is mandatory by law and the Bank of course is responsible for their suppliers, it is not an activity thar directly relates to the operation of the Bank and it is something that the Bank can directly "mitigate" or operate, just make shure that the supplier complies with all the requerimets stated by the regulation (products that can be used, frequency).

Considering the formula, there is just one issue that concerns me. They have underground diesel tanks in case they need to generate energy. So, for example, the possibility of an explosion or fire is improbable (1 point-the lowest), the consequence will be severe if this happens (4 points-the highest), and they commply with all the requirements (1 point) = 1*4+1=5 this means that according to my scale it will be classified as low, and I am not very comfortable with that.

About the scope, it does not include employees commuting nor customers visiting the bank. I didn't quite fully understand what you mean by if I'm making the EMS part of the business management system along with IT security and its power consumption?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
  Post Number #4  
Old 27th June 2018, 04:47 PM
Ninja

Total Posts: 1,024

Just a thought...

These might not be "included in the list for he activities of a Bank", but I would expect them on the list for "Operating a bank branch" or "Operating banking facilities".

There was a sewage leak a couple months ago at the bank branch I typically use...they didn't do any banking there for a week...
Wells Fargo continued to do banking, but that branch did not operate or contribute revenue.
Thank You to Ninja for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #5  
Old 27th June 2018, 04:52 PM
Victoria M

Hi Ninja and thanks.

I see your point. I am including these 2 items in the legal matrix and in the future when I develop the monitoring plan. But I am not sure if they should be also be considered as an environmental aspect.
What do you mean by "list for "Operating a bank branch" or "Operating banking facilities""?

Thanks!
  Post Number #6  
Old 27th June 2018, 04:54 PM
John Broomfield

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Victoria M View Post

Hi John and thanks for your answer.

Regarding the question about fumigation and water tanks, I believe that, nevertheless is mandatory by law and the Bank of course is responsible for their suppliers, it is not an activity thar directly relates to the operation of the Bank and it is something that the Bank can directly "mitigate" or operate, just make shure that the supplier complies with all the requerimets stated by the regulation (products that can be used, frequency).

Considering the formula, there is just one issue that concerns me. They have underground diesel tanks in case they need to generate energy. So, for example, the possibility of an explosion or fire is improbable (1 point-the lowest), the consequence will be severe if this happens (4 points-the highest), and they commply with all the requirements (1 point) = 1*4+1=5 this means that according to my scale it will be classified as low, and I am not very comfortable with that.

About the scope, it does not include employees commuting nor customers visiting the bank. I didn't quite fully understand what you mean by if I'm making the EMS part of the business management system along with IT security and its power consumption?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Victoria,

Please repeat your assessment for the underground diesel tanks using the formula I suggested and you’ll see that they are significant environmental aspects because any leaks are difficult to detect.

The business management system is the means by which the CEO and his reports get things done. Separating your EMS from the business management system means that it may fail to receive the respect and attention it needs from senior management to prevent pollution.

Much of what your IT security system has in place can support your EMS such as corrective action and internal audit. Keeping these subsystems separate from each other and from the business management system would be suboptimal and may result in more waste.

John
Thanks to John Broomfield for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #7  
Old 28th June 2018, 04:08 AM
somashekar

Total Posts: 5,356

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Ninja View Post

Just a thought...

These might not be "included in the list for he activities of a Bank", but I would expect them on the list for "Operating a bank branch" or "Operating banking facilities".

There was a sewage leak a couple months ago at the bank branch I typically use...they didn't do any banking there for a week...
Wells Fargo continued to do banking, but that branch did not operate or contribute revenue.
This response is so simple, clear and to the point.
As long as you use water and generate waste water, it does not matter if you are a bank or a factory or a distributor. These are non routine activities that has to get your environmental attention......
Thanks to somashekar for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #8  
Old 28th June 2018, 09:55 AM
John Broomfield

Victoria,

You may also find useful this example from Danske Bank:

Environmental impact

Interestingly they’ve included indirect environmental aspects in their public statements of environmental policy.

John

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >