The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Compliant Calibration vs. Accredited 17025 Calibration - 1000ml Graduated Beaker
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Compliant Calibration vs. Accredited 17025 Calibration - 1000ml Graduated Beaker
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
calibration (general topics)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 23rd October 2008, 02:03 PM
jmbhbf36

Total Posts: 1
Please Help! Compliant Calibration vs. Accredited 17025 Calibration - 1000ml Graduated Beaker

I am being told that I need to have a 17025 type of calibration performed on a 500 ml and a 1000ml Graduated Beaker. I am having trouble finding a cal house to perform this cal so I need help with this. Second I have been offered a Compliant Cal instead of and Accredited 17025 cal. For items like these beakers, does 17025 really requier an accredited cal for a fixed device?

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 23rd October 2008, 03:31 PM
Stijloor

Total Posts: 15,326
Re: Compliant Cal vs Accredited 17025 Cal

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by jmbhbf36 View Post

I am being told that I need to have a 17025 type of calibration performed on a 500 ml and a 1000ml Graduated Beaker. I am having trouble finding a cal house to perform this cal so I need help with this. Second I have been offered a Compliant Cal instead of and Accredited 17025 cal. For items like these beakers, does 17025 really requier an accredited cal for a fixed device?
By whom? Some customers have specific requirements for the use of accredited labs. Reading and studying the customer-specific requirements (if any) would greatly help you. ISO 17025 spells out requirements for Laboratories, not necessarily calibration requirements for devices.

Stijloor.
  Post Number #3  
Old 23rd October 2008, 04:06 PM
Rustedamy

Total Posts: 12

Hi!

You can still use them if they are not 17025 accredited. We have a piece of equipment that we send for calibration to the original manufactuer who has no intention of ever being accredited to calibrate but who supplies us with the necessary information.

The standard says you have to prove (document this process) they are competent to perform a subcontracted calibration (Sect. 4.5) and they can supply you with calibration results/reports that fulfill the calibration/ calibration for testing labs requirements in Sects. 5622 and 5621.

Select thoughtfully, as the note under 56221, does specify that the calibration requirements must be strictly followed if the calibration uncertainty is a big factor in the total uncertainty.

The standard also gives guidelines if you want to do the calibrations in-house.
Thanks to Rustedamy for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #4  
Old 23rd October 2008, 08:26 PM
Hershal

Total Posts: 2,498

Rustedamy is correct, they do not have to be accredited to be used, but if your organization is accredited then the documentation needs to reflect the process you went through to determine if there is an accredited provider near you, and on what basis you approved this supplier.

Remember, if you are accredited, then the calibration provider needs to be able to support your accreditation, so you need to have the evidence available that they meet the 5.6.2.1.1 requrements for a calibration provider: measurement capability, competence, and traceability.

For beakers, there are basically two ways to calibrate them: gravametric and volumetric.

Hope this helps.
Thanks to Hershal for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #5  
Old 13th February 2009, 05:12 PM
Philthegr8

Total Posts: 1
Please Help! Re: Compliant Calibration vs. Accredited 17025 Calibration - 1000ml Graduated Beaker

If you were using 2 beakers to mix 2 different ingredients for your production process, do both beakers need to be "calibrated" according to ISO 9001:2000? What requirements are needed?
  Post Number #6  
Old 13th February 2009, 06:07 PM
bobdoering

Total Posts: 4,082
Re: Compliant Calibration vs. Accredited 17025 Calibration - 1000ml Graduated Beaker

I might be missing something here... Back in the day when I did wet chemistry, the graduations on a beaker were really considered approximate. For measurement of liquid, you used a graduated cylinder, burette, etc.

Now, if you have graduated beakers, the next question is what is the tolerance of the process? You may or may not pass either calibration or gage r&r with a beaker...unless your recipe tolerance is, lets say, +/- 100 ml. So, that may be an issue.

If your tolerance is wide enough that a beaker ends up being OK, I would calibrate that bad boy in house. Get it on your lab scope. Get a calibrated graduated cylinder and run with it. I assume you do not use a graduated cylinder already because it is a pain to clean, hard to handle or some other reason, right?

I don't do wet chemistry anymore. Didn't like doing the dishes.
  Post Number #7  
Old 13th February 2009, 06:17 PM
bwilk

Total Posts: 9
Re: Compliant Calibration vs. Accredited 17025 Calibration - 1000ml Graduated Beaker

I would be very careful with trying to use a non-accredited vendor for something that there are basically 100's of accredited labs out there for.

I would also doubt you could obtain a tracability waiver for an intrument that can be calibrated accedited by so many labs. I would suggest searching a little more.

Keep in mind if you read all of 5.6.2.1 It staes that you must assure competence of the non accredited lab. This means that you would have to go there with a subject matter expert, and watch them preform this calibration. This is the main difference between ISO 17025, and other quality systems. It requires proof of technical competence. "I think I am therefore I am" doesn't get to far under a 17025 assessment.
Thanks to bwilk for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #8  
Old 13th February 2009, 06:22 PM
bobdoering

Total Posts: 4,082

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by bwilk View Post

It requires proof of technical competence. "I think I am therefore I am" doesn't get to far under a 17025 assessment.
True, but the competence calibrating a broad side of a barn is less than a laser micrometer. You may find it in house.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > > >