The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
Examples of Quality Objectives and Targets
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Examples of Quality Objectives and Targets - Page 3

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
quality objectives, objectives (quality environmental and other measureables)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #17  
Old 1st June 2009, 08:21 AM
qualitymanager

Total Posts: 219
Re: Quality Objectives and Targets - Can anyone give me some examples?

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Siu Fun View Post

ha, i am a new members, i am from hk.
i would like to ask can anyone give me some expamles about quality objectives and target, it is quite difficult to set and mesaures.
Also, how to show the continue improvement?
thanks
I was recently reading up on Health and Safety, and saw some explanation of aims vs. objectives. Haven't seen (or, more likely, noticed) this approach in Quality literature.

My interpretation is along the following lines:

Aim: To reduce cycle time for core business processes

Objectives:
1. Reduce Order Processing from 86 hours to 53 hours
2. Reduce Design time from 238 hours to 197 hours
3. Reduce time between final inspection and customer notification from 6 hours to 30 minutes.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #18  
Old 1st June 2009, 04:16 PM
Jim Wynne

Total Posts: 14,161

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by qualitymanager View Post

I was recently reading up on Health and Safety, and saw some explanation of aims vs. objectives. Haven't seen (or, more likely, noticed) this approach in Quality literature.

My interpretation is along the following lines:

Aim: To reduce cycle time for core business processes

Objectives:
1. Reduce Order Processing from 86 hours to 53 hours
2. Reduce Design time from 238 hours to 197 hours
3. Reduce time between final inspection and customer notification from 6 hours to 30 minutes.
You could reverse "Aim" and "Objectives" and no one would know the difference. "Objective"--"Target"--"Aim"--"Thing to Strive For"--different names for the same thing.
Sponsored Links

Post Number #19  
Old 2nd June 2009, 03:41 AM
JaneB

Total Posts: 3,518

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Jim Wynne View Post

"Objective"--"Target"--"Aim"--"Thing to Strive For"--different names for the same thing.
Yes, all true. One company's 'goal' is another's 'objective' and a third company calls it their aim. or Purpose. Or something else!

The important thing is that within a particular company, they are clear about what terms they're using and that they all use the terms the same way.
  Post Number #20  
Old 2nd June 2009, 07:18 AM
qualitymanager

Total Posts: 219

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Jim Wynne View Post

You could reverse "Aim" and "Objectives" and no one would know the difference. "Objective"--"Target"--"Aim"--"Thing to Strive For"--different names for the same thing.
Fair enough.

I plan to couple them with the definition and acronym below:

Objective: “something to be achieved”
- ISO/TC 176/SC 2/N 526R2

SMART - George Doran (1981)
  Post Number #21  
Old 2nd June 2009, 10:30 AM
Jim Wynne

Total Posts: 14,161

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by qualitymanager View Post

Fair enough.

I plan to couple them with the definition and acronym below:

Objective: “something to be achieved”
- ISO/TC 176/SC 2/N 526R2

SMART - George Doran (1981)
I have no idea why anyone feels the need to provide definitions for words everyone knows. The "SMART" thing (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely) can help to clarify what an objective should look like (although "attainable" and "realistic" are the same thing), but I think most people know what goals are.
  Post Number #22  
Old 7th January 2015, 07:52 PM
Stimpy

Total Posts: 11

I found this thread while looking for samples of quality objectives just like the original poster. The information in some of the replies was helpful. Thank you.

On a side note, I cannot help but think that none of this should be required by ISO, Aerospace, or any other quality system. Sorry to be frank, but I feel that too many people drank the Kool-Aid and this is one requirement that doesn't seem to have any bearing on the "quality" of a company. Why require this? What is the point of forcing companies to specify such things in a Quality Manual or System?

I'm not saying that setting quality objectives is worthless. There is value to it if companies indeed set and obtain goals. But....why require any company to state these goals in their quality manual. It what way does this benefit customers? How does this benefit the employees?

Increasing on-time delivery a certain amount; Reducing scrap rates by such and such percent; Reducing the number of customer complaints or NCR's by 14.3%;... These are all good things. But why should any of this stated in a Quality Manual? Makes zero sense to me.
  Post Number #23  
Old 8th January 2015, 12:23 PM
TigerLilie

Total Posts: 27
Re: Can anyone give me some examples of Quality Objectives and Targets?

Where I work, our quality goals, which are documented on our quality policy, are:
Defect-free workmanship,
On-time delivery,
Excellent customer satisfaction ratings.

We tailor our metrics to support these goals. Although in my opinion it doesn't always add much value. In my vision, our quality goals moving targets. For example, on-time delivery is not an issue here, whereas supplier quality issues hit our bottom line. Therefore I would like to see very general quality goals on the quality policy and specific, relevant quality goals set during management reviews and measured until the next review.
  Post Number #24  
Old 8th January 2015, 12:47 PM
John Broomfield

Total Posts: 2,461
Yin Yang Re: Can anyone give me some examples of Quality Objectives and Targets?

Stimpy,

Indeed, but clause 4.2.1d tells us the extent we must document such things.

In order to work competently within a process we must know what we are trying to achieve. It's useful to know what those before and after us in the process team are trying to achieve too.

And for the top managers to evaluate the performance of their organization as a system they must know what they were trying to achieve.

ISO 9001:2015 looks as if it will be less prescriptive as to the types of documents we must maintain in the documented parts of our management systems.

John

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >