The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Where to Head to Next after Completing ISO9001?

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 3rd August 2006, 01:27 AM
Cheryl Lourdes

Total Posts: n/a
Question Where to Head to Next after Completing ISO9001?

Hi All

Just a question, we had completed our ISO 9001 this year April and obtained our certification then after. Now my CEO's wants to move forward to obtain ISO 14001 EMS & OHSAS 18001 MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS ( this steps was recommended by our consultant - who did not do not do a good job in helping us with the ISO 9001) - this is where i made the effort in potraying a lot of reading and work from you guys and here is where we stand now (many many thanks).

Anyway, i need your advice as to what should we do - as most of our customers request for a HSA Certificate.
Our work Approach is " Design, Fabricate, Assembly, Installation, Testing, Commissioning, Supply & Servicing of Power Generating Set and Control System"

Pls provide me a solution as to what step of an ISO should we take??

Thank you.

RGDS,

Cheryl Lourdes
ISO 9001 Management Rep.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 3rd August 2006, 08:33 AM
ralphsulser

Total Posts: 1,573
Re: Where to Head to Next after Completing ISO9001?

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Cheryl Lourdes

Hi All

"Anyway, i need your advice as to what should we do - as most of our customers request for a HSA Certificate."

Thank you.

RGDS,

Cheryl Lourdes
ISO 9001 Management Rep.
I think you just answered you own question. What do your customers want or need?
  Post Number #3  
Old 3rd August 2006, 09:46 AM
cheahga

Total Posts: 100

Quote:

Hi All

Just a question, we had completed our ISO 9001 this year April and obtained our certification then after. Now my CEO's wants to move forward to obtain ISO 14001 EMS & OHSAS 18001 MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS ( this steps was recommended by our consultant - who did not do not do a good job in helping us with the ISO 9001) - this is where i made the effort in potraying a lot of reading and work from you guys and here is where we stand now (many many thanks).

Anyway, i need your advice as to what should we do - as most of our customers request for a HSA Certificate.
Our work Approach is " Design, Fabricate, Assembly, Installation, Testing, Commissioning, Supply & Servicing of Power Generating Set and Control System"

Thank you.

RGDS,

Cheryl Lourdes
ISO 9001 Management Rep.
Hi Cheryl Lourdes,

What is a HSA certificate? Have never came accross this type of certificate in my life? Care to share more?

I could see from the work approch as the scope of registration if it's correct as you did not mentioned it was scope of your registration, your organization would be regarded as high risk organization under any management certification.

Don't really understand the question you pose "Pls provide me a solution as to what step of an ISO should we take??" could you help to elaborate more?
  Post Number #4  
Old 3rd August 2006, 10:12 AM
Coury Ferguson

Total Posts: 4,588

Quote:

Hi All

Thank you.

RGDS,

Cheryl Lourdes
ISO 9001 Management Rep.
As Ralphuser has told you: What does your Customer(s) want?

Forget what the Consultant has said, just find out what your customer's needs and expectations are, and then decide if you want to invest the added costs of the next steps (Consultant, Registrar etc.). If your customer requires that you achieve 14001 and 18001, then you have no choice.
  Post Number #5  
Old 3rd August 2006, 10:18 AM
RoxaneB

Total Posts: 3,016

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Coury Ferguson

If your customer requires that you achieve 14001 and 18001, then you have no choice.
Actually, there is a choice...the organization may choose to meet the needs of the customer or may choose not to. Either way there are repercussions. One has the customer hopefully continuing to do business with the organization...the other has the customer potentially choosing to business with someone else.

If there is no positive impact to implementing 14001/18001 (i.e., no improvement to financial bottom-line, no real system in place that will positively impact their environmental and safety performance), why do it?

I don't mean to sound negative, but there is a choice. Just my Canadian.
  Post Number #6  
Old 3rd August 2006, 10:25 AM
Coury Ferguson

Total Posts: 4,588

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by RCBeyette

Actually, there is a choice...the organization may choose to meet the needs of the customer or may choose not to. Either way there are repercussions. One has the customer hopefully continuing to do business with the organization...the other has the customer potentially choosing to business with someone else.

If there is no positive impact to implementing 14001/18001 (i.e., no improvement to financial bottom-line, no real system in place that will positively impact their environmental and safety performance), why do it?

I don't mean to sound negative, but there is a choice. Just my Canadian.
Ok RC, my mistake. There are choices by an organization. (I should have qualified more on my statement.)

It is always up to the Business owners and Stock Holders, to determine the P&L and ROI on the choices.

It didn't sound negative, you pointed something out to me, and it happen to be _________ (1 Word and is your favorite one to see)
  Post Number #7  
Old 3rd August 2006, 10:43 PM
Helmut Jilling

Total Posts: 4,386

Quote:

Anyway, i need your advice as to what should we do - as most of our customers request for a HSA Certificate....

It sounds like you have two projects.

1. If the ISO system your consultant helped you to implement is not so robust, I would work to improve and develop there. There is much to be gained from a robust system.

2. The more robust that is, the easier it will be to implement a Health & Safety program or an ISO 14001 Environmental program.

If ISO 9001 is not robust, the additional program builds on top of a shaky foundation.

PS: you might want a different consultant? He might just be trying to stir up work.
  Post Number #8  
Old 8th August 2006, 04:26 AM
Cheryl Lourdes

Total Posts: n/a

Dear All

Thanks for the reply.

HSE means Health and Safety Environment.

Yes, i will listen to what the customer needs from us and then apply for whatever necessary ISO's that is needed. Thank you again.

Regards
Cheryl Lourdes

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >