Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Strategic Planning and Quality Management System Integration

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
integrated management systems, qms (quality management system), strategic planning and objectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 9th February 2009, 12:23 PM
Falco

Total Posts: 28
Please Help! Strategic Planning and Quality Management System Integration

Hello everyone,
I am not quite sure if this forum is the best place to open this thread so if a moderator wishes to move please do so.

Our company is in process of strategic planning. Thats good. However we have had much difficulty in achieveing and maintaining compliance with ISO 9001-2000. We are certified but struggling.

My question is - What are the recommendations toward strategic planning and the quality management system? Should the QMS be part of strategic planning or strategic planning be part of the QMS? Kind of a which comes first the chicken or the egg question.

My take is, and guide me if I am off base, that the QMS criteria should serve as a guideline during strategic planning. Use it like a gap analysis to determine the next strategies.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 9th February 2009, 12:31 PM
RoxaneB

Total Posts: 3,005
Re: Strategic Planning

Falco:

My organization applies strategic planning for the organization and it is tied into concepts such as the Balanced Scorecard and our Company Vision and Mission.

There are some items on our strategic plan that show a strong link towards focusing on our customer (e.g., Recognized as the supplier of choice, etc.).

From there, our sites have objectives and metrics that support the company's plan. This helps to show that we are all moving in the same direction.

To answer your question, our strategic plan is for the overall success of the company. From there, we filter down the QMS items to help set objectives, metrics, etc...we do the same for safety, environment, morale, and so on.
Thank You to RoxaneB for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #3  
Old 9th February 2009, 12:39 PM
Jen Kirley

Total Posts: 6,129

I am going to refer you to the Baldrige Award site's explanation of the 2006 criteria for Strategic Planning, not because you have to do all of this, but because I hope you will find the insights helpful.

Please also see the links near the bottom of the page I am sending you to:

2.1 Strategy Development

2.2 Strategy Deployment
Thank You to Jen Kirley for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #4  
Old 9th February 2009, 01:11 PM
Randy

Total Posts: 8,704

Strategic Planning?

Just study Toyota (or most any Japanese industry) from 1946 until the present (set aside the current financial issues)
  Post Number #5  
Old 9th February 2009, 01:14 PM
Falco

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Randy View Post

Strategic Planning?

Just study Toyota (or most any Japanese industry) from 1946 until the present (set aside the current financial issues)
To get me started, were they generally pro strategic planning, against, or ?.
  Post Number #6  
Old 9th February 2009, 01:21 PM
rmf180

Total Posts: 45

When ISO named ISO 9001, Quality Management System, they failed us all. The title should be Business Management System. ISO 9001 is a guideline on how to run your business to ensure you are conforming to a minimum level. By being at that minimum level (or beyond), you provide your customers with a certain level of comfort.

In order to be a successful business, you must have a strategic plan. That strategic plan must support the vision and mission of the organization. The vision, mission and strategic plan must be supported by quality policy and objectives. In short, the strategic planning exercise is a part of the QMS.

One must avoid top management's desire to put the ISO requirements on QA and allow them to totally disengage. If top management is not driving the QMS, you should look for a new employer!
Thank You to rmf180 for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #7  
Old 9th February 2009, 01:33 PM
Falco

Thank you for the reply. The mission I am on is just as you have responded. Sounds funny but may just be the title to my book - Taking "Quality" Out of The Quality Managment System. And I think this is what Randy has suggested as well. The example you mentioned is exactly wha is happening, the business management is being dropped in the lap of QA while top management works on the assembly line and fights fires.

My opportunity lies in the reversal of that behavior. That's what I do. I think for the most part our leaders are opening up to the idea but years of culture are hard to change.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by rmf180 View Post

When ISO named ISO 9001, Quality Management System, they failed us all. The title should be Business Management System. ISO 9001 is a guideline on how to run your business to ensure you are conforming to a minimum level. By being at that minimum level (or beyond), you provide your customers with a certain level of comfort.

In order to be a successful business, you must have a strategic plan. That strategic plan must support the vision and mission of the organization. The vision, mission and strategic plan must be supported by quality policy and objectives. In short, the strategic planning exercise is a part of the QMS.

One must avoid top management's desire to put the ISO requirements on QA and allow them to totally disengage. If top management is not driving the QMS, you should look for a new employer!
  Post Number #8  
Old 9th February 2009, 01:38 PM
Falco

So, if I am reading the responses correctly so far your responses confirm my belief. It is important that strategic planning become part of the overall business management system.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >