The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Is a Nonconformance Report required for every Customer Complaint?

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
corrective action (ca), nonconformances, customer complaints and customer found nonconformance

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 6th April 2011, 09:51 AM
tylerr

Total Posts: n/a
Please Help! Is a Nonconformance Report required for every Customer Complaint?

Hello members,

I have been researching the topic of customer complaints and the corrective action process. Concerning ISO9001, is it necessary that every customer complaint become a nonconformance? Can we, instead, use a system for determining trends and wait until one is found before a nonconformance report is issued? Basically, we don’t want a nonconformance report for every single customer complaint.

Some background:

We are a distribution company and render a service rather than produce products. This being the case, customer complaints is a system of measurement used to ensure that “product” (ISO) requirements are being fulfilled. At this point, there is a code system for customer complaint categories used by customer service. We would like to use this to track trends rather than completing a report for every complaint (the volume of customer would make this very time consuming).

Because of the coded complaints handling system, we would be able to address major complaints through the NC/CA process. Hopefully, this would allow lesser complaints, which should only require a correction, to be handled by a reship or credit/refund. Once a trend is realized about these lesser complaints, we can escalate them as a whole to a nonconformance and issue a corrective action.

Tyler R

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 6th April 2011, 10:32 AM
keres

Total Posts: 154
Re: Nonconformance for every customer complaint?

In punctual - by definition Nonconformance is when requirements are not met. Customer complaint is actualy when customer requirements are not met.
So...
Thanks to keres for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #3  
Old 6th April 2011, 10:44 AM
somashekar

Total Posts: 5,371

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by tylerr View Post

Hello members,

I have been researching the topic of customer complaints and the corrective action process. Concerning ISO9001, is it necessary that every customer complaint become a nonconformance? Can we, instead, use a system for determining trends and wait until one is found before a nonconformance report is issued? Basically, we don’t want a nonconformance report for every single customer complaint.

Some background:

We are a distribution company and render a service rather than produce products. This being the case, customer complaints is a system of measurement used to ensure that “product” (ISO) requirements are being fulfilled. At this point, there is a code system for customer complaint categories used by customer service. We would like to use this to track trends rather than completing a report for every complaint (the volume of customer would make this very time consuming).

Because of the coded complaints handling system, we would be able to address major complaints through the NC/CA process. Hopefully, this would allow lesser complaints, which should only require a correction, to be handled by a reship or credit/refund. Once a trend is realized about these lesser complaints, we can escalate them as a whole to a nonconformance and issue a corrective action.

Tyler R
Hi Tyler.
The customer complaint makes reference in two places
1. 7.2.3
To meet this requirement of effective arrangements for communicating with customers about customer complaints, you have to log every complaint first.
2. 8.5.2
You have to have a documented procedure to say how you review each of such complaints that you log., determine the cause., evaluate the need to take action such that they do not recur.,
It is here that you apply your analysis and discretion about each such complaint, do they need independent action or you see a trend from which you can arrive at a common action such that any such will not recur. During this phase you will also assess if only a correction will suffice. Would you be sure that it will not recur? make a data based and fact based judgement.
Take the leverage of the documented procedure to address how you will go about addressing the a) to f) of the 8.5.2 for customer complaint.
Take message from 7.2.3 into consideration here since for each customer his complaint has great relevance to him however small in nature it be to you.
So address every customer complaint >>> Yes
Nonconformance for every customer complaint >>> Perhaps, 8.5.2 a) b) c) d)
CA for each complaint >>> May be, May be not 8.5.2 c)
Records >>> Each complaint 7.2.3 c) and 8.5.2. e)

Did it answer you ~~~

Last edited by somashekar; 6th April 2011 at 11:10 AM.
Thank You to somashekar for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #4  
Old 6th April 2011, 10:58 AM

Without referencing all of the standards, I would say, must you address customer complaints? Yes. Do you need a detailed system of corrective action for each? No. As long as your system proves to be effective. For me, I require that my service reps check a box if the customer wants follow-up; they must ask. If the box is checked, I follow-up in some fashion with 100% of those. If they are not, they do not get follow-up, unless I see a strange trend, then I will follow-up with whom I feel I need to.

Works for me, but maybe not everyone!
Thank You to for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #5  
Old 6th April 2011, 11:33 AM
Kales Veggie

Total Posts: 1,017

Quote:

Hello members,

Some background:

Tyler R
My simple answer is Yes, but then you have to take the appropriate corrective action (by looking at risk and impact and cost)

I would record all complaints and use it as a trending tool to see if things are getting better.
Thank You to Kales Veggie for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #6  
Old 6th April 2011, 11:47 AM
Sidney Vianna

Total Posts: 9,319

Quote:

Concerning ISO9001, is it necessary that every customer complaint become a nonconformance?
the answer is no, simply because not every customer complaint/dissatisfaction are valid.
Quote:

Can we, instead, use a system for determining trends and wait until one is found before a nonconformance report is issued? Basically, we don’t want a nonconformance report for every single customer complaint.
If you want an effective and robust customer complaint handling system, you should look in the guidance offered in ISO 10002. It is a very good guidance standard to assist organizations in setting up a complaint handling system. If you do a search on ISO 10002 here at The Cove, you will find several threads.

Last edited by Sidney Vianna; 6th April 2011 at 12:03 PM.
Thank You to Sidney Vianna for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #7  
Old 6th April 2011, 05:29 PM
tylerr

Thank You! Re: Nonconformance for every customer complaint?

Somashekar,

Thank you for the reply. You certainly helped me link my dilemma to the standards. I beleive the comlpaints handling process we currently have in place will: record and evaluate each customer complaint; help determine trends which allow for NC/CA identificaiton; allow the flexibilty of treating each complaint as a NC or waiting until a trend is determined.

I may have been vague in my first post but it seems like the current system is acceptable for incorporation into the NC/CA process. The only issue is that every complaint will not receive a Nonconformance Report (form). This issue seems OK becuase, although a form will not be used, each complaint will be logged and evaluated to determine a correction or corrective action (in which case it would definaitely get a Nonconformance Report).

Ambir,

Thanks for the suggestion. This seems similiar to what will be happening in our system. The idea is that each complaint is logged and evaluated (using a coding system). Some will receive more attention than other (in the form of followup or NC/CA) but others will simply receive a correction (no NC/CA) and be fed into the databse to determine if there is a trend that would require the NC/CA process.

Sidney,

Your point is exactly what got me thinking about this process. Although every customer complaint should be logged and handled with care, they are not all valid. (Although they are valid when talking about customer perception but that is another topic). Also, thank you for poining me to that sub section of the forum. I had been lurking around there and found some things that helped me.

Everyone who replied,

Thanks to you too. I appreciate the comments and insight.

Thank you,

Tyler R
  Post Number #8  
Old 6th April 2011, 08:49 PM
Randy

Total Posts: 8,755
Re: Is a Nonconformance Report required for every Customer Complaint?

Nope

A customer can complain:...

...to try and get something free

...to try to keep from paying

...to just make you look bad

...to just be &itchy

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >