Elsmar Cove Quality DiscussionsUncontrolled Pictures of Packaging Posted on WallsThe Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
Uncontrolled Pictures of Packaging Posted on Walls
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Uncontrolled Pictures of Packaging Posted on Walls - Page 2

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
document control, pictures, work instructions (wi)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #9  
Old 28th January 2014, 03:51 PM
RoxaneB

Total Posts: 2,994
Re: Uncontrolled Pictures of Packaging Posted on Walls

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Jersey1 View Post

thanks for the reply. I took down the pictures, the pictures from the WI- I'm putting a controlled copy of the WI on the floor. the undocumented example I took down for now, creating a library is a good idea.
I'm finding notes in various places, not sure where they came from or who put them up. I think they all have to come down until I find out more. what about reminders, like- 'turn in all paperwork to clerks'?
Let's face something here...folks are not going to read these work instructions every day and step-by-step. Once things become a routine, WI's aren't usually referred to unless there is a mistake or if the process - and subsequently the document - changes.

Visual management is a tool that you can make the most of here.

If the pictures mean more than the text, including them (along with a reference to the WI#, Rev #, etc.) could be more meaningful than a document.

And as for the "Turn in all paperwork to clerks" issue, without knowing WHEN this needs to be done (i.e., after each inspection or at the end of the shift), you could always put a bright banner or sign on the exit door or the door to the change room that reminds them to turn in the paperwork.

Keep it user friendly and visually appealing.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #10  
Old 28th January 2014, 04:01 PM
Phil Fields

Total Posts: 376

This is an item that we would use a "Quality Alert" Form as defined in our QMS. The Quality Alert is a specific form that can have documented information and pictures added to it. Once filled out, it is signed by the authorized person complete with an end date.
Thanks to Phil Fields for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #11  
Old 28th January 2014, 04:10 PM
Sidney Vianna

Total Posts: 9,135

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Jersey1 View Post

I'm finding notes in various places, not sure where they came from or who put them up. I think they all have to come down until I find out more. what about reminders, like- 'turn in all paperwork to clerks'?
There is an excellent thread on that topic with a lot of good arguments for both for and against "sticky notes" on the shop floor: Personal Notes on Production Floor vs. Documented Work Instructions
  Post Number #12  
Old 28th January 2014, 04:35 PM
JulieChisholm

Total Posts: 15

First question: It's fine to mark them "controlled copy" and just keep a list of where they are posted when they get updated so you can switch them out when a new revision is implemented. We put them in numbered plastic sleeves. I think visual aids are a helpful tool, especially if you're dealing with people doing a single task over and over again and seeing examples of defects. You should have a list anyway of where all your controlled documents have been distributed.

Second question: If someone writes a post-it such as "don't forget to turn in my form!" I consider that fine. The only downside is people can slowly go back to old habits and start recording more process related information on post-it's.

It's always a balancing act!

Best,
-Julie
Thanks to JulieChisholm for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #13  
Old 28th January 2014, 04:54 PM
hogheavenfarm

Total Posts: 571

I have used the "Quality Alerts" with good results, sometimes a picture is the best way to convey the information. Of course I make it controlled, usually filed with the WI number reference. Lately I have been making "Visual Procedure Manuals", which are essentially WI's with accompanying illustrations. The customers like them also. I make two (controlled) copies generally, one for the shop floor, and one to keep for reference in the QA lab. As changes are made during production, they are modified and revised. The old one is removed from the shop floor and reprinted with the new rev number, the QA copy is kept as is but the new material added to the back. That way I have a record of the changes that were made. When the job is over, they get marked 'obsolete' and filed with any production records. One disadvantage (?) it generally requires that the person putting it together is very familiar with the entire process, so every detail can be documented. As a result, I can now build many items we make by myself ! But that is what a good manual should enable someone to do.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >