Elsmar Cove Quality DiscussionsAre auditing checklists required for Internal Audits?The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
Are auditing checklists required for Internal Audits?
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Are auditing checklists required for Internal Audits? - Page 2

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
audit checklist, audits and auditing, internal audits

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #9  
Old 22nd April 2015, 11:28 PM
wileycomet

Total Posts: 10
re: Are auditing checklists required for Internal Audits?

I like to evaluate why I'm doing the audit and then use that as the basis to form my approach.

If you are just looking for compliance to a standard, then a simple checklist can make that a much easier task.

If you are doing an audit to add value to the company then a basic checklist probably wouldn't be suitable and an intensive process audit would be your best bet, with a thorough pre-audit done to ensure you have at least an idea of what you want to know and who might know it. Then follow where it leads.
Thanks to wileycomet for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #10  
Old 23rd April 2015, 01:05 AM
somashekar

Total Posts: 5,292

Auditing checklist is an Aid... Not an all in all
And if the checklist is made by someone else, then its a very poor aid.
  Post Number #11  
Old 23rd April 2015, 02:15 AM
Big Jim

Total Posts: 2,900

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by somashekar View Post

Auditing checklist is an Aid... Not an all in all
And if the checklist is made by someone else, then its a very poor aid.
One of the things I remember from my early ISO training is that a checklist is a SERVANT, not the MASTER.

One of the things I dislike about auditing to an element based checklist (one that marches through the standard one shall at a time from 4.1 through 8.5.3) is that it forces you to pay attention to the minutia, like thoroughly inspecting a tree a leaf at a time, causing you to lose the big picture. Sort of like forgetting that those leaves belong to a tree and that tree is part of a forest.
Thanks to Big Jim for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #12  
Old 5th December 2017, 04:43 PM
MrPhish

Total Posts: 80

Has anyone thought of using a turtle diagram to record the results of an internal audit? The diagram then becomes the objective evidence an audit was done, and the diagram is certainly a tool for checking a process. From that point forward, just use the existing turtle diagram as the guide for the next audit. Make any new changes (improvements) to the diagram. Now you have process improvements, process interaction and internal audits all happening with the same set of documents. What am I missing (i.e. ISO requirement) that stops this from happening?
  Post Number #13  
Old 5th December 2017, 05:24 PM
AndyN

Total Posts: 8,676
Thumbs up re: Are auditing checklists required for Internal Audits?

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by MrPhish View Post

Has anyone thought of using a turtle diagram to record the results of an internal audit? The diagram then becomes the objective evidence an audit was done, and the diagram is certainly a tool for checking a process. From that point forward, just use the existing turtle diagram as the guide for the next audit. Make any new changes (improvements) to the diagram. Now you have process improvements, process interaction and internal audits all happening with the same set of documents. What am I missing (i.e. ISO requirement) that stops this from happening?
I believe this was partly the intent of using them! Other than that, I hate them... (but I do like the idea of using the [same] planning tool as the record of the objective evidence).
  Post Number #14  
Old 6th December 2017, 05:42 AM
John Broomfield

Total Posts: 2,526
Lightbulb Re: Are auditing checklists required for Internal Audits?

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by MrPhish View Post

MrPhish,

Provided you fulfill the audit objective nothing stops you from using a turtle diagram to see how well the process you are auditing is supported by some of the other processes in the system.

Such as the providing and maintaining the required facilities and equipment, delivering competent operators, delivering the required information and ensuring the operators know the requirements and care about meeting the requirements including the process objectives.

Given an audit objective it's a good idea to prepare by knowing, even vaguely, what to look at, who to listen to and why. The answer may be to use a turtle diagram as tool to help you to fulfill the audit objective without taking the same sample every time.

Best wishes,

John

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >