The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
"Context of the Organization" in ISO 9001:2015 Clause 4.1
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

"Context of the Organization" in ISO 9001:2015 Clause 4.1 - Page 8

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
4.1 - general requirements, context of the organization, definitions, iso 9001:2015

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #57  
Old 19th August 2016, 04:13 PM
mogobadip

Total Posts: 8
Re: "Context of the Organization" in 4.1 of ISO 9001

Sometimes if you cannot think risk based, think like a coward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #58  
Old 20th August 2016, 01:32 PM
charanjit singh

Total Posts: 108

Coming back once again to the "Context of the Organisation", I go by the clarification included in the standard (Annex.A.3 para 2) which says "There is no requirement....for the organisation to consider interested parties where it has decided that these parties are not relevant to its QMS. It is for the organisation to decide if a particular requirement of a relevant interested party is relevant to its QMS"". (emphasis is mine)

Thus there is no mention of any requirement calling for an organisation to record or otherwise offer a formal justification for their decision. My client is due for re-certification & up-gradation to the 2015 version in Oct/Nov. 2016. We have already identified the interested parties relevant to our QMS and do not expect any problem during the audit.
Thank You to charanjit singh for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Post Number #59  
Old 21st August 2016, 01:20 PM
Jen Kirley

Total Posts: 6,035

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by JoShmo View Post

They "allow" a client to do one or two a year, is what I mean. I displike register auditors who have no clue what "effectiveness" looks like and use the CB process as a measure - asking for "all elements to be covered once a year/2 yers/cycle or whatevers. I don't dislike registers, I dilsike meaningless audits.
A CB auditor who asks that all elements be covered twice a year, or even once a year, is not correct. There is no requirement as such in any of the (5) standards/technical specifications I audit to.

Nor should a CB auditor "allow" a certain number of audits. Effectiveness of the internal audit process can be demonstrated by its functionality and finding conformance, nonconformities, and opportunities for improvement if finding such opportunities is part of the process's purpose.
Thank You to Jen Kirley for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #60  
Old 21st August 2016, 01:28 PM
Jen Kirley

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Mike S. View Post

This whole requirement sounds like fluff and a waste of time to me.
People are doing it already, just not realizing that's what the standard is asking for. LUV-d-4UM cracked the code; pointing out it is like the business plan was spot-on.

Does your organization have an Operating Plan or business plan? Chances are that document already has what you are asking about.

It is important to not overthink this standard.
  Post Number #61  
Old 21st August 2016, 01:32 PM
Jen Kirley

Quote:

I look at it this way....how did we ever survive all these years without specifically listing the "context of the organization" in our QMS documents in exactly the way they are now asking for it?

Either it has been there in the QMS all along, but called something else, or it existed but was not specifically spelled out in the QMS documents.

Maybe I'm just grumpy this Monday morning, but I get tired of jumping through ISO/AS hoops when I do not see a clear benefit to it.
It has been there all along. Chances are good that you can simply trot out existing documentation. The standard's language has changed more than its actual requirements.
  Post Number #62  
Old 22nd August 2016, 08:12 AM
Ganesh Raja L

Total Posts: 2

I can't understand that whole concept of this process and it seems bit complicated. Can you please simplify it for me?

Thanks!
Thanks to Ganesh Raja L for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #63  
Old 23rd August 2016, 08:00 AM
Mike S.

Total Posts: 2,152

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Jen Kirley View Post

People are doing it already, just not realizing that's what the standard is asking for.
Which means either the users (people) are not smart enough to figure this out or the standard is not written clearly enough for the average person to figure it out without someone else translating it into more simple language.

My vote is the latter.
  Post Number #64  
Old 23rd August 2016, 08:09 AM
LUV-d-4UM

Total Posts: 759

Quote:

Which means either the users (people) are not smart enough to figure this out or the standard is not written clearly enough for the average person to figure it out without someone else translating it into more simple language.

My vote is the latter.
In ISO9001:2008 the process approach was only implied. So everyone tried to interpret the concept in their own way. The process approach has become explicit for ISO9001:2015.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >